1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slavery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was watching the new HBO special last night, Exterminate All the Brutes. It’s ok. I don’t like the director/narrators raspy voice. But it inspired me to see if I could find out if my family ever owned slaves. I always assumed they never did. My immediate family is poor and working class going back to my great grandparents. My great grand parents and their parents were civil servants and before that farmers. But I found the 1850 slave schedule was available online and I searched it. https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1420440

And I found my greatx5 grandfather registered 10 slaves on that survey. They lived in Virginia at that time and I am sure it’s him because I found my great grandmothers very detailed family tree going back to the late 1790s. His children moved and stayed in free state until after slavery was abolished but the legacy is still there.

I feel bad because I wish I hadn’t learned that. But the legacy is real.

2. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

He had an additional slave on the 1860 survey. Wow.

Rocket River and Andre0087 like this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's over. Our ancestors are products of their times. They didn't have our perspective. As a black person who is familiar with some of my slave ancestors, I'm sorry they were slaves but it's over.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

One of the most interesting things a found was an ancestor who was born to a white man and his slave mistress, eventually freed along with his siblings and mother, but still himself owned several slaves in the 1850's. I'll tell ya watching that Clayton Bigsby skit was never the same...

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since I'm 1/8 Mongolian I'm pretty sure my distant ancestors owned a lot of slaves.

6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

There are two whose race is listed as M under 10 years old so I assume that’s mixed and his children.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Different kind of slavery. Transatlantic slave trade was a race based genocide.

mdrowe00 and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For that type if I had ancestors that owned slaves from that would be quite a shock.

Andre0087 and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

If you have to go back to the 1700s and earlier then yes your ancestors owned slaves and they were also slaves themselves.
    Whether you are black, white , native american , escimo or oriental.
    Whether it happened in the 1700s, 1600s or 1000s what's the difference? They have nothing much to do with you.
    Everyone is the same unless it is some subsaharan completely isolated jungle tribe.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

The other side of this search is that my ancestors have been here since the mid 1600s

ryan_98 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I traced my surname all the way back to the 1400s in Wales. To some dude who was a lord and called "the wolf".

The story is, a pair of brothers came over in the early 1600s on their own ship, bought thousands of acres of tobacco farms in Virginia. (I don't think they had slaves at this point, too early). One of them was my grandpappy, he had kids, after many generations they traveled south, 150 years later the family line ends up on a plantation in SC that still stands today on a street with my surname on it. They lived there for about 100+ years, and held around 20-40 slaves at a time. My 4x great grandfather said duces to the plantation in SC, moved to Arkansas to start a homestead, and that's where my grandfather was born.

The family seemed to have real money for many generations, but it sure did run out by the time my grandfather was born.

My father's mother's side was much poorer, harder to find documentation of them, many fought in the civil war for the south. And then my mom's side are relatively recent descendants of Spain, can't find anything on them.

12. HTM

HTM Member

Damn, I’d be pissed your ancestors squandered your inheritance. AFAIK my people were always poors. Pretty confident they came here mid 19th century as poor irish/german immigrants and never owned slaves.

But who knows, maybe my ancestor were slaves or owned slaves at some point in dark ages Europe.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm sure some still have it, you got to understand each generation had about 5+ kids, that turned into 5+ kids, into 5+ kids, and a generation in those days started around 15-20 years old.

There are thousands of people who broke off from that lineage starting 250 years ago at the SC plantation, (If you count the girls who lose the surname).

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Largest single owner in my family tree is a comic-book Colonel Sanders knock-off looking plantation owner (who, it turns out, was actually a colonel in the Confederate army) from Georgia with 54 in 1860. And that accounts for less than 50% of total slaves when I stretch it across all branches. Also a "old money" branch related to a famous Texas politician who had 40+ in Alabama in 1860, and another family with several dozen in Arkansas at the same time. Also possibly related to notorious slave impregnator Thomas Jefferson, though I'm not 100% on that.

So, yeah, I got a few.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I would be surprised if nobody in my family owned slaves.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Slavery started as an economic system. We found a new world we have to clear land and take advantage of farming opportunity. We don't have John Deere let's get those Africans

Then someone questions the humanity or lack of and then someone says ohh they're subhuman.

Learned this in college, not my opinion

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They created block chain and use it to this day.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not to discount our terrible legacy of slavery, but history is all about oppressing and being oppressed.

Women are still oppressed around the world and marrying for love as a mainstream idea is still fairly recent development.

A more deeply ancient trope is judging other people based on their lineage. People can feel proud that they have the blood of royalty or derive some form of purity they themselves didn't have a choice over.

I find it fascinating that we now try to point out the lows along with magnifying the highs. I guess it's a matter of questioning the narratives or truths we, our parents, and grandparents tell ourselves over time. Having Jefferson as your possible ancestor is still a cool story even if it's one that's been distorted orally through time.

I guess technology turns those stories into myths. But are we letting go of something that fits a cultural or personal purpose? What happens when a story that helped defined your family turns out to be a lie? The truth sets us free...from what?

malakas and Ubiquitin like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good for you
    The Rest of are not so . . . .. .. forgiving

So we will be pissed until reparations are made..

I cannot help but wonder if he too got reparations when the war was over for his "lost property"
    See
    The Slave Owners for Reparations . .. Slaves did not . . . .. .
    [​IMG]

Rocket River

Ubiquitin likes this.
  20. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Slavery is a stain.