1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[SLAM] Top 50: Yao Ming, no. 38

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BDswangHTX, Sep 22, 2010.

1. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

EXTREMELY well written article. Obviously if Yao is able to come back to full form he's top 20.

[LINK]

1 person likes this.
  2. RocketsYaoYe

RocketsYaoYe New Member

Thanks. I enjoyed it.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I would refrain from using the words "EXTREMELY well written" to describe this article, both in terms of technique and content.

There was quite a bit of hyperbole. For one, Pau Gasol has as much right to the title of "most skilled big man" as Yao does. Anyone who thinks that's not up for debate is kidding themselves. Also, while Yao most certainly expanded the game's popularity in China, he hardly "introduced" the NBA to his native country.

It's nice to see someone defend the big man, don't get me wrong. They just oversold him a little in doing so.

4. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Now THAT I can get on board with. I think fans of other teams underestimate Yao's drive.

5. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Not bad Mr. Sweeney.

6. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I love Yao and I am glad a sport writer (esp one from Slam) tried to defend him. But this article comes across as too corny to me.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Must be written by white or Asian writer.

8. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Gasol is only 7-0 and 250 pounds.

For me, only it can only be fair when any players above 7-2 are used to in the comparision to Yao.

9. Steve_Francis_rules

I am shocked that you didn't pick up on this typo, Carl Herrera!

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Right. That would be a fair criteria for comparing players of Yao's extreme height, but that's not what the writer is talking about. He says that Yao is the most skilled big man since Hakeem...one hell of a lofty claim considering that, besides Gasol, we've had big men like Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and even Arvydas Sabonis playing within the given time frame.

One can claim and easily support the position that Yao is the most skilled player of his size, but calling him the most skilled "big man" of the 10-15 years is a whole different story.

11. Yao4Mvp

Yao4Mvp Member

Maybe, but I don't think it's a totally unrealistic claim. Also, Yao is a better shooter than Gasol.

12. StevieCrossover

I agree! I don't see Yao having the toughness every night. I support Yao and he's very fundamental but it just seems a let down season after season. Consistency is the key, if Yao can't perform at a high level day in and day out then eventually he's useless. I have high expectation from him of his performance this season even if he's limited to a certain amount of playing time. I really hope as a rockets fan that Yao will perform great and not let it be another let down season. No injury please Yao!

13. aff

aff Member

He mentions how Kobe Bryant is only loved in LA, but he's a worldwide figure, ESPECIALLY in China where he is a bigger star than Yao. Did anyone see the olympics in 2008? The article is pretty flawed.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

That clip of the Chuckster kissing Kenny's donkey never gets old.