1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SLAM Magazine Mock Draft Article: At #14, the Rockets select...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AdamSweeney, Jun 19, 2012.

1. AdamSweeney

AdamSweeney Member

Hey everyone,

I posted an article I wrote a while back about the Rockets for SLAM and was very humbled and appreciative of the support. SLAM is doing its annual mock draft now and I get to choose for the Rockets at #14 and #16. Here's the column I wrote regarding the pick at #14. I'd love to hear your thoughts and know who you think the Rockets should take.

Thanks for your time and support, from one Rockets fan to another.

1 person likes this.
  2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I don't agree with the pick, but the top 3 SG's after Beal are pretty much interchangeable. That was a really nice article you wrote. Thanks for the link.

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

That would be a good pick in my mind. Very high ceiling for that young man. If anyone the Rockets should throw their dice on that late in the draft to get a potential star its that guy. He is still young and his game is growing.

4. hoyarocketsfan

I think you make a decent case for Rivers (though I don't ultimately agree) but your conclusion is kind of a cop out.

"The pick is a low risk, high reward one and that’s the best kind to make as a GM. If Austin Rivers works out, the Rockets have the star scorer they’ve been desperate for since Tracy McGrady was in the red and white. If he busts, well, it’s call the NBA lottery for a reason."

I don't think many fans would say "it's called the NBA lottery for a reason" if Morey used his third 14 pick in 3 years on a controversial player like Rivers, and he didn't work out or was a T-Will-esque head case, especially with Morris struggling so much last year. If anything, Morey is even less able to gamble on a guard like Rivers when seemingly reliable big men-- a bigger need-- should available around 14.

I'm sort of taking it out on you here, but this idea that the Rockets will gamble on upside b/c they haven't in past years and need a star is, I think, sort of out of touch with how the team operates. If they have info and scouting to suggest Rivers will be good, they will pick him. If they are dubious, they won't just say "hey, he might be a scorer who can sell tickets!." We aren't the bobcats/warriors/wizards or, for that matter, Drayton McClain Astros.

It could be Rivers for many of the reasons you point to so I appreciate the analysis, but hey if I'm wrong, they don't call it an amateur, fan message board for nothing ;)

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

You're obviously forgetting the following quote:

"Maury needs to roll the dice and take a big chance instead of always taking the least-risky approach." - damn near everyone at ClutchFans

6. hoyarocketsfan

Morey traded for Flynn, Thabeet, Twill, and Kyle Lowry, among others, who were all considered to be the kind of "risky" players people accuse him of being scared of drafting. Why would he gamble with trades and be scared to do that with draft picks. I think he just didn't see anyone worth gambling on at 14. He did want to trade up to gamble on Valuncias and couldn't.

Look at the 2010 and 2011 drafts. Who after 14 was the high risk high reward guy we passed on? Marshon Brooks in 2011 is the one example I see as someone who was sort of characterized that way and is now a good NBA player.

Fair criticism that my finger on the pulse of the Clutchfans sentiment might be wrong, but I think it's an ESPN mock draft level analysis to look at the last 2 years and say Morey is risk averse. I think he's hype averse.

7. Asian Sensation

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree with you. I think for Morey, risk is merely one of the factors he considers in whether or not to acquire a player. And that's as it should be.

9. Adam_Sweeney

Adam_Sweeney Member

SLAM Magazine Mock Draft: With the 16th pick, the Rockets select...

Hey Clutch fans,

Thanks for the support on the SLAM Magazine Mock Draft article, where we took Austin Rivers. I got to choose the 16th pick today and wanted to see if you'd check out the article. I think it's the exact type of pick the Rockets would make.

Thanks for reading!

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Hi Adam,
    I do think #16 is the type of pick the Rockets would make. I don't see any way that Houston comes away from this draft without a center prospect. It's a huge need, and at #16, getting a potential starting center is also great value. Because i think Leonard will be gone by #16, i think Zeller would have to be the pick.

I'd rather see us take a risk on someone with a higher ceiling, but if Zeller is there at #16, i doubt the Rockets pass.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good article (except that MingThing). Sure, nada unique about Rivers at #14 but remember every guy who laces'm up has been linked to about every slot for every team.

BTW - - why pick a 5 whose just a 5 (on a scale of 10)?

12. thething

thething Contributing Member

Not a bad article, but I doubt Rivers will be available for the Rockets at 14. I've been hearing he won't get past the Suns at 13.

13. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

great job adam! Like the pick. We need some star power--the popcorn at the game ain't that good.

-Noel

14. AggieRocketFan96

Good articles, particularly the 2nd one. I think Zeller would be a terrific addition to the Rockets. Rivers-- not so much, not really excited about what he would bring.