1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SLAM] Greece's Spanoulis is here to stay

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AXG, Nov 25, 2006.

1. AXG

AXG Member

I almost didn't believe it, but I was extremely excited when I got my SLAM magazine and saw an article on him.

Vass Air
    Greece's Vassilis Spanoulis is here to stay.

Let's get one thing straight: Vassilis Spanoulis is not the next Nick Galis. After averaging over 30 points per game during his interntional career, Galis-a fourth round pick of the Celtics in 1979-is regarded as Greece's best player, but he never set foot in the NBA. Spanoulis will not be following in his countryman's footsteps. "When the opportunity to play in the NBA arises, you have to take it," Spanoulis says of the decision to leave his Greek club team, Panathinaikos. "I didn't want to live with knowing that I didn't go to the NBA just to stay in Europe."
    A 6-4 combo guard with above-average spped, playmaking ability and defensive instincts, Spnoulis signed a 3 year deal with the Rockets over the summer. This follows an "offseason" in which the 24-year-old led the Greek national team to victory over the US in the World Championsips. "We played a great game and everything worked," Spanoulis says of the Greek team's precise pick-and-rolls. "Beating America was one of the biggest moments for Greek basketball." Now in Houston, Spanoulis-nicknamed "Kill Bill"- has to adjust to the NBA game, and to his new role. "I have to forget everything I accomplished in Europe," he says. "It's difficult because I've been playing and starting for so many years, but now, I'm a rookie. I just have to play godd basketball when I get to the gym." - Thomas Golianopoulos, SLAM

2. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Member

He may be the best defender to ever come out of Europe. I'm telling ya. I aint lying. He's so spastic I think he scares the crap out of the opponent. They are like here I don't want the ball you take it cause theres this crazy greek dude rushing at me like a psycho.

4. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

^ lol :p

And why is his nickname kill bill again?

5. Amel

Amel Member

Baaaaaa

Klava!

6. ClutchCityReturns

Are all of your other 494 posts in less than one month this insightful? :rolleyes:

As for the article, it's not really anything we didn't know before, but it's nice to know that the press outside of Houston (barring Greek outlets) is taking notice. With his attitude I just don't see how he could fail.

7. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

such a great defender. love him!

8. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

The thing i like about vspan is that he plays with passion, he's aggressive and he defends so well!

i enjoy watching him

9. Stack24

Stack24 Member

His defense is great. His offense will come around but his D is what's going to give him more and more minutes under JVG.

10. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

nice fluff article.

12. sabonis

sabonis Member

It's tough to say, I've seen fellow rookie Thabo Sefolosha play D, and he is no slouch. They're different defensive styles... Thabo is more Scottie Pippen with his long arms, whereas Spanoulis is more Gary Payton where he really gets into his guy.

And his Kill Bill nickname came from his Greek teammates because of the fearless style of attacking the basket.

Stuart

13. Kam

Kam Member

yeah, take a look at the guys last name who wrote the article.

it's still nice that some rockets players are getting pub.

14. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

agree. what kinda character u possess, what kinda destiny u'll have. :rolleyes:

15. rvpals

rvpals Member

Vspan has pretty good basketball instinct, things that you can't teach. As soon as he's getting used to the NBA, he would be a decent PG for the Rockets.

16. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

vspan's abilities will make him an allstar in this league, especially with all the chinese fans who will vote for him in the near future :D

17. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

Doubt it. Its annoying hearing that phrase...this person or that person will become an allstar because of Chinese fans. Most of the people in China don't even have a computer, less internet. From what I've seen...most people in CHina don't care about basketball either.

If your statement was true, the Rockets starting five would've been allstars the last 4 years....

18. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

agree wit u, chow yun fat.

19. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Member

I think Thabo gets the edge defensively here too. He's longer and can guard multiple positions; from point to wing. Also, don't know if ya'll have seen many clips of him defensively, but you just can't screen the guy. His ability to get through screens is uncanny. He is made in the same mold as Doug Christie....

20. Mordo

Mordo Member

I would put Kirilenko slightly ahead of Thabo and Spanoulis.