1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[slam]Drexler "I was really focused on making my teammates better "

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 1, 2011.

?

Clyde

1. thanks for making your teammates better

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. thanks for being better

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't get a championship with Portland but led them to 2 finals appearances.
    You probably don't know (not a slight or insult) but when the Rockets got Clyde,
    he was not in his prime.

They were breaking up that Portland team cause they were getting old. Clyde in his
    prime carried Portland.

He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated with Michael Jordan.

2. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Wow, replace Tracy with Vernon and it would fit perfectly.

Maxwell was a terrible chucker that openly admitted to quitting on the Rockets after the first game of the playoffs. Vernon shot miserable three after miserble three and didn't hit enough to warrant someone who consistantly shot the Rockets out of games.

One is Tinmans hero though....lol.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah, when you tell them that a hall of famer, champion, been to the final 3 times , and has his numbered retired by 2 nba teams, and 1 college team

is better than a guy with significantly less accomplishments, and they think that the guy with less accomplishments is better, there's something wrong with that.

also check the original thread in 2008. It was only 4 pages.
    yes the population of his supporters have infected clutchfans.

love this quote from the original thread:

4. tinman

Supporting Member

the problem here is perception of Drexler and obvious lack of knowledge of his entire career.

"You judge a player by his whole body of work"

a hall of famer told me that once.

that hall of famer was Clyde Drexler.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This ain't new. This criticism was made when the trade was made. You just don't know about it because you weren't around back then.

6. Chris Jent MVP

was clyde ever voted "most overrated player" by his fellow nba peers?

why did they vote t-whack as most overrated? were they just jealous of him?

were they not jealous of drexler in his day? were they jealous of jordan? did they ever vote jordan as most overated player?

7. what

what Member

Only guy manning cares about is Hicks. Manningham is dead to me. I'll never play him again.

8. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

9. tinman

Supporting Member

/nothing to do with thread

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

You're an expert in that. :rolleyes:

11. tinman

Supporting Member

still the best post on this thread. it's honest, truthful, and real.

the other post are my groupies screaming for more.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Prime Clyde vs Prime T-Mac? There's really no question that Clyde was better? Can you dissect which aspect of Clyde's play in his prime 20 years ago and T-Mac 8-9 years ago that allow you to make such a statement with such conviction?

FWIW, I actually agree with your opinion that Clyde's better T-Mac when it comes to prime-comparisions. And I've seen both T-Mac at Orlando as well as Clyde at Portland. You know what? I can't remember enough to make that conclusion. My own memory says that they were both superstar quality. I had to look at stats and teammates and everything to form a more educated opinion. And if you had tried to put out your argument in a reasonable manner, I'd have probably backed you up in your belief.

But instead you busted out with the you didn't see him play card, which I feel is a ver BS thing to say. Because it would mean that you are

1. Incredible at analyzing basketball through just watching games on TV as a fan
    2. Incredible memory that allow you to recall NBA games from even 20 years ago
    3. Incredible dedication to NBA as a whole. Portland and Orlando are both not Houston teams and would not have been broadcasted on local TV regularly, especially back when Clyde played
    4. Understand the difference between the NBA 20 years ago vs 10 years ago in terms of how much impact a player can have due to difference in rules and strategies.
    5. Understanding the difference of skill between T-Mac's teammates and Clyde's teammates, broke them down, and therefore be able to isolate T-Mac personal contributions to his team and Clyde's contributions to his.

In other words, I think you're just butt hurt someone didn't think your idol is superawesome. But at least defend your idol properly, and not just say "well you're too young so you're wrong" logic. It's not exactly convincing.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

People forget how good Drexler was because he played in the same era as Michael Jordan did.

I will keep it simple....

....You are an idiot if you think McGrady was better than Drexler.

You pick Clyde if you want to go to war, not the mental midget.

14. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

Prime Glide > Prime T-Mac is kind of obvious.

For me, Glide ~ MJ, Dream, Jabbar, etc.

T-Mac is not even close to this group of guys based on mental capability, being a strong competitor, and being healthy. Skill wise and potential-wise, I'd have to say that he could've been. The guy was so talented it's not even fair. But he is just a normal, sort of good human being, not an elite competitor with a very average work ethic (the two are connected I guess). If I have to come up with a comparison, I'd come up with Jan Ullrich or Marat Safin. So much natural talent, it's unfair. Not great competitors at all. All three of them were great, there's no doubt about it, and they could have been. It's sad they aren't, because they are generally awesome people, but the nice guys are rarely the greatest competitors. They are still very likeable guys and you could really root for them to succeed.

You could identify with them. I never identified with MJ because he was too much of a predator to identify with. Drexler was aloof.

The non-obvious thing is why there has to be a 'debate' about Clyde being better when 99% of the people agree on it. This thread is just a pointless McGrady bashing thread. Which is boring, tasteless and just completely redundant.

So - tinman - please stop wasting people's time.
    And people - stop feeding the troll, nothing to see here, if you continue this, you are just flogging a dead horse.

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

*popcorn eating gif.*

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We may not have been able to personally identify with those greats, but we did respect them. That in itself is way more important than trying to identify with a millionaire diva who has caused issues for every team he has played for.

What makes me laugh is his fans thinking that Houston hating him is some how special and that Rox fans are douches. He was hated in Toronto and Orlando. By the time he got to the Knicks and Pistons, he wasn't good enough to even warrant hating. He was still derided though for continuing to take himself in and out of lineups and talking out his ass during offseason. How can such a great person a player be such a consistent failure and bridge burner is beyond me.

17. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

I get it that assists is ONE indicator of passing, but you have to watch how each player plays. For Clyde, and any of Clyde's teams, the offense moves and screens are set consistantly. The style of ball is from ball movement and keeping the defenses on their heels. If you've watched any of the old Portland games, it's amazing how Clyde's Portland teams continually tire out the opposition. They crash the board and has great outside and interior defense. Please also note that those go hand in hand. It's hard to be a great perimeter defender without great interior defense. Not impossible, but hard.

Back to topic: Clyde's assist number could easily skyrocket if they don't play "team ball." The ball goes inside, outside, swing around, etc and get the best shot possible. Clyde just happened to be their best finisher. Tracy is a completely different type of player. Tracy needs the ball in order to be effective. There is no swinging of the ball once it gets to him. He either needs to take a 3 or drive in and either shoot/pass. The possession ends with either his shot or whoever gets the pass because the offense gets stuck once that happens. Sure, he gets a lot of assists that way and people like to mention how nice it is that he gets the passes in, but the truth is, it takes away the advantage that you had from ball movement. teams settle in an sort of shrink to the key and they don't get tired defending this.

I think, all in all, Tracy could really score. However, he has a tendency to pout or zone out when he's not involved in a play 100%. Stats might show that he carried the team, but he also made his teammates into standing observers and it's incredibly hard to play with intensity when you don't know how to get involved except for the wait-and-see-if-I-get-the-pass game.

It really is a shame because he's fun to watch, but I wouldn't put him over Clyde in the least bit.

EDIT: Just for mentioning: Tracy's attitude, from the few times I've seen him outside of the "media atmosphere," he's nothing but a complete jerk and disrespectful for the people that's trying to help him overcome his "problems."

1 person likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

1. this is a real article and real interview
    2. if you don't like this thread then read another, lots of fun stuff here
    3. player comparisons are always a topic on any board
    4. i created this thread, so bare with me that some of the post are from my groupies that just talk about me not the topic

19. tinman

Supporting Member

wrong.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=137429

This is a thread with a poll in 2007. And this was before these hardcore TOFs arrived.

Tmac vs Drexler

View Poll Results: Which player would you rather have on your team? (in their prime)
    Tmac 278 53.98%

Drexler 237 46.02%

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Clyde is the reason we lost to Utah in '96. Way to shoot an 18 foot fadeaway and leave 3 seconds on the clock, moran.