1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[slam]Drexler "I was really focused on making my teammates better "

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 1, 2011.

?

Clyde

1. thanks for making your teammates better

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. thanks for being better

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's kind of strange how underrated Clyde is around these boards. Mostly because of his poor commentary with the young ones who never actually saw him play, that's my guess. No one who saw Clyde in his prime would question that he was a better player than Tracy. He was the ONLY SG who could go toe to toe with Jordan in the entire NBA. In fact, you could have argued that he had more talent than MJ but just lost out in the willpower department. This would be an insult, except that MJ had arguably the strongest will of any professional sports player who ever played any sport.

Clyde is still my favorite NBA player ever; I remember trying to emulate his finger roll and kick-your-own-ass three point shot when I was little playing in my driveway. It's demeaning to him to have an interviewer try to bring up comparisons with a modern flashy all-star with zero accomplishments and poor fundamentals to boot. I won't hate on Tracy for his playoff shortcomings: that's on his team, not just himself. But his 3pt percentages and his laser beam form speak for themselves. He was simply not the kind of guy who would work on his game enough to transcend his natural ability and do whatever was necessary to get a team to the second round. We lost to good teams with Tracy, but we never lost to any eventual NBA champions. Clyde the Glyde was a head-and-shoulders superior player.

3 people like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

repped.

Thank you for speaking the truth. The believers are back!

For some reason if you act goofy as a commentator, people who never saw you play think you aren't that good. Kenny gets clowned a lot, but he has Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson in the studio with him. Legends. The playoffs is where people remember you and for Kenny it's
    1. Him jacking up a bunch of 3s against the Magic
    2. Getting hand checked to death by Derek Harper against the Knicks.

For Clyde, it's like everybody forgot the Portland years or didn't feel they were significant cause they lost in the Finals.

They lost to the Bad Boys of Detroit and Jordan. Two legendary teams.

You know who would give you an honest answer on this topic is Rick Adelman. He coached both of these guys.

I think I know who he would pick!

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Drexler had balls and heart, which seperates him from Tracy, who is probably more talented than any player to ever play in the NBA.

4. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aSLZFdqwh7E?version=3&amp;hl=ru_RU"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aSLZFdqwh7E?version=3&amp;hl=ru_RU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

5. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Finally a fair comparision for tinmac

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy that has Tin in his signature... :grin:

(Tracy admitted in an interview to quitting on the Raptors, by the way...)

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A_6g-DVKnsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I just find it amazing that there are so Tracy McGrady supporters on this board. He was a chucker with a questionable heart that quit on the rockets. Tracy took over 20 shots per game. He would take shots when they weren't even following and avoided contact every chance he got.

His supporters keep bring up his heroics during the spurs game. That game was a regular season game that didn't mean anything where he stunk it up for 47 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Clyde was amazing, and I can not recall him ever quitting on his teamates.

I would take Clyde over Tpussy any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

DD

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

They like him because he is flashy bling, basically a human highlight reel. Never mind that in his entire career he has nothing but a few scoring titles and All-Star appearances to show for and a long trail burned bridges, PR disasters, and accusations of quitting on the team and being lazy. Of course none of that means anything if he looks good scoring right? :rolleyes:

11. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

first of all u are probably saying he has no heart because of the toronto game. But you are forgetting the number of times he had to get his knee drained in the playoffs while trying to single handidly carry his team. If you denounce the 13 in 35 game because it was was a regular season game, then I guess you can denounce the toronto game because that was during the season.

The only thing you said that was fully true was that he took 20 shots but a lot of the times, it was needed

12. val_modus

val_modus Member

I would have rather had David Wesley, Ryan Bowen, and Luther Head get some more shots, we obviously had these options, so theres no reason T-Mac should have taken all those shots.... **** Andre Johnson's knee just gave out, we're so ****ed

13. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Comparing T-Mac and Clyde is the new way in art of trolling

You can't compare Clyde, cause he was a part of a championship team, the guy that was the biggest and most crucial part of our rebirth in repeat season with a dude from the most disappointing duo in Rockets history because Yao and T-Mac have won nothing outside of 22 game winning streak

But we should be much more patient. T-Mac was way better in terms of shooting, passing, ball-handling, and maybe even scoring, Clyde had more heart, was way better on D and played a lot harder on D, but it doesn't mean that they were average in another department. They both were great players, but Clyde was able to achieve, Tracy wasn't and that's all that can matter

Worst thing in clutchfans is a stupid emotions that are able to make a trolling teen from a normal grown men in just a couple of minutes

T-Mac was one of the most talented players of all time, his 02-03 season was one of the best seasons ever for the guy on his position, he was even more effective than KG in his MVP year (that was undoubtfully one of the greatest performances ever (and he proved it in playoffs)). You can't deny that.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_yearly.html

You can't deny the fact that Scottie Pippen is the best defensive player on the wing in the history of the game.

If player A ended his journey to H-Town on a bad note, it doesn't mean that he wasn't really that good before

T-Mac was the best Rockets player of the decade and you can't deny this if you are not out of your mind

But he didn't win a thing. And you can't deny this too.

Just two different careers endings for the two extremely talented players

1 person likes this.
  14. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rK6galQrajw?version=3&amp;hl=ru_RU"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rK6galQrajw?version=3&amp;hl=ru_RU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Please, say again that he had no heart in playoffs

1 person likes this.
  15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

So what's your reasoning or excuse for him being lazy, having no heart, and is a quitter following him from Toronto? This is not an isolated incident where only Rox fans are "hating" on T-Mac. He has bad blood with every team he was a franchise player for. If all his other teams loved him and it was only the Rox, then maybe you have a point.

16. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

You don't know anything about the game of basketball

McGrady was supposed to have 20 shots per game in JVG slow offense because there were a lot of broken plays and when a role player (actually a scrub, we didn't have enough role players under Jeff) is catching the ball when the play is broken, he's looking on his superstar and gave him the ball with seven seconds or less before shot clock violation and McGrady (Bryant, Wade etc) should shoot the ball if the don't want to end with empty posession.

When Rick was hired he started to use much more active system with a advanced ball-movement and with much more quality players around Yao and Tracy. and the number of his 20+ FGA reduced immediately because of that

17. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

The most interesting part of this crap is the searching of new ways to blame McGrady. No heart, no defense, no second round, injuries etc

Right now it 20 shots per game

I know that average IQ level in USA is not that big as we all might hope but if you are blaming him for that you just have to remember one thing

When McGrady was playing his first games as a Rocket, he was adjusting to the new slow-paced basketball and he was trying to get a nice look on every of his shot. He had less than 17 FGA because of it and we had just six wins that month. Than Jeff said to him that he don't care about T-Mac efficiency and he should just shoot the ball every time he had that opportunity.

He started to do it right after that in Mavs game. The next month he averaged 23.4 FGA (6.5 more!). Rockets won 9 of 14 games. He kept the same number of shots next month and Rockets won 10 of their 16 games. JVG proved that he was right

It's not because Tracy wanted it, it's because his coach told him to do so.

Just a few weeks ago I was watching that Mavs 48-9-9 game and commentators were talking a lot about JVG and his decision to do so. It was like now or never, you should be extremely aggressive, dude.

So I trully remember what it was all about

Clutchfans are blaming T-Mac because he was doing what his coach told him to do.

Lockout say Good Morning to people idiocy. Proved.

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Quoted wrong person methinks. Someone else mentioned that.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Didn't Terry Porter average like 9+ dimes in Portland's best years?

20. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

get a life.