1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Skype Phone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LegendZ3, Jan 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Has anyone tried the Skype capable phones yet?
    http://us.accessories.skype.com/direct/skypeusa/accessoriesList.jsp?acctype=8

With Skype now have the $15 unlimited calling plan, I'm seriously thinking about using skype to replace my landline.

$15 for the unlimited calling plan
    $39 for a skypein number

That's less than 50 dollar per year! It's even cheaper than Vonage! The only down side is the emergency numbers won't work on Skype, but I have my cellphone for that.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I just signed up for the $15 SkypeOut feature. The price raises to 30 bucks at the end of January. Its a great service if you are looking for a cheap second line. I might also do the SkypeIn, as its much cheaper than Vonage as you stated.

I actually use my regular cordless phone, and use Skype with that. All you need is a cheap adapter from Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Skype-VoIP-...527QQihZ016QQcategoryZ295QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It works great, and allows me to use any regular phone I already have in the house.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Could you guys give a brief explanation on how this works?

My gf is going to Vietnam for about 2 months and we're trying to figure out the cheapest way to call each other. Do you have to use your computer to make and receive calls?

4. Mr. Brightside

This is a very basic introduction.

Skype is known for mainly free pc- to pc phone calls. That means if you in Houston and have Skype installed on your comp, and your gf in Vietnam has Skype installed on her comp, then you can make free phone calls on the comp all day long. All you need is a microphone headset device.

With the basic free Skype you cannot call landlines, and people from landlines cannot call you.

Skype has recently launched new features such as SkypeOut and SkypeIn.

SkypeOut is for people who want to use the Skype program on their computer to call any landline. SkypeIn is for people who want to receive calls from people at landlines to their computer.

What the initial poster was talking about those specific Skype phones is for people who don't want to use a headset and want to talk on a somewhat traditional looking phone.

5. LegendZ3

6. Mr. Brightside

Yea, you do. Basically the adapter fits into your USB drive, so thus it needs to be on. Even with a regular Skype phone, I'm pretty certain your comp. will need to be on as well.

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

wasn't that service free before? (skypeout)

8. Mr. Brightside

Yep, it was free for most of 2006. But it ends on Jan. 31 2007. Damn Ebay!

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

prepaid phone cards. it's basically voip over your normal phone.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

We have skype at my house, and 3 cordless phones. I think we pay about $30 a year for the 832 telephone number for skype . (skype in...skype out...etc.)

Skype ROCKS!

(we use this in Saudi Arabia....and it's CRYSTAL CLEAR!)

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

you have a cell phone, with that landlines are obsolete.

12. LegendZ3

Thanks. After googling, I found couple skype phones that doesn't reqiure PC are coming out this year(Philips VOIP841, Webtalker 5000, RTX 3088, and Creative PhonePLUS) I guess I will try the adapter till one of those comes out.

#12 LegendZ3, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Where's DaDakota? He's the Skype king.

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Word. i hardly know anyone with a land line. My GF has one, but only because they begged her to stay on and gave her some deal with that plus DSL. For like, $12/month or something ridiculous.

Land lines are going the way of the dinosaurs.

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I use skype.

But the BEST way to do it. is to get a pda with wifi... Then simply install skype, get skype in and out, and you got yourself a skypefone/landline :)...

I think the first person to introduce me to skype was SJC from this board... he said he tried it a few weeks back, i used it, and loved it... ofcourse its become much more commercialized sinze ebay bought it, but still an awesome product.

16. LegendZ3