1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Skipping Senior Year of High School to Play Professional Ball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rocket River, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Senior Year of High school . .. or 140K and live in a foreign country for a year.

Cannot say it is that hard a decision at the age of 17~18ish

-- Rocket River

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=975391

Associated Press

MORE: High school athlete eyes 2012 Olympic Games | Class of 2010 basketball player rankings
    SAN DIEGO - Jeremy Tyler completed his jump from high school underclassman to pro basketball player on Wednesday when he signed a one-year, $140,000 contract with Maccabi Haifa of the Israeli Premier League.

Tyler, 18, is the first American-born player to leave high school early to play basketball professionally overseas. The 6-foot-11, 260-pound Tyler announced in the spring that he was skipping his senior season at San Diego High because prep basketball had become boring.

Jeremy Tyler is headed to Maccabi Haifa of the Israeli Premier League.
    "I think I made the right decision," Tyler told The Associated Press on Wednesday evening. "I think this team is a good fit for me and it's the right country."

Tyler averaged 28.7 points during his junior season.

"I feel good. I feel blessed," he said. "I got past the easy part. Now the hard part is to perform and show the world I got a contract for a reason. Now I can play against grown men."

Tyler's agent, former NBA point guard B.J. Armstrong, said several offers were carefully considered.

"It's a huge step for him and his family and the things he's about to get into," Armstrong said. "The basketball will be the easiest part in this equation. Now he's got to get things adjusted off the court to what a professional does, how he lives. It'll be a challenge. The rest will take care of itself."

Sonny Vaccaro, the former shoe company executive who's been advising Tyler and his family, said Maccabi Haifa is a good fit for several reasons.

"I think it's a very good deal for Jeremy because it's a good team, he'll play, they speak English and he'll learn there," Vaccaro said. "The reason we did one year was because it will give Jeremy time to understand how hard it is to be a professional, then he'll do whatever he wants to do next year."

Vaccaro said Tyler had five other offers, including one from a team for more money, "but Jeremy, his family and I decided it was more important to have a chance of playing than making a couple extra dollars. If Jeremy is who he's supposed to be, he'll earn a lot of money in his lifetime."

In early May, Tyler told The AP that he was tired of facing triple-teams, being hacked and being limited to playing the middle when he felt he had much more to his game.

"I was the best player in San Diego this year and it was boring. Next year, it would be extremely boring," Tyler said then. "I'd go into the game with no enthusiasm."

Tyler is expected to return to the United States when he becomes eligible for the 2011 NBA draft.

"My goal is to become one of the greatest," Tyler said Wednesday.

Tyler said he likes that Israel is a small country and that the team has young talent that can develop.

"He has a tremendous upside," said Andrew Wilson, a spokesman for American businessman Jeffrey Rosen, who owns Maccabi Haifa. "He's definitely got a lot of talent and is hungry, and we're an up-and-coming team, as the team has been in the Premier League only one year, so it seems like a very nice fit for us."

Maccabi Haifa was promoted to the Premier League after a 10-year absence and earned its first appearance in both the Israeli Premier League championship game as well as the State Cup Finals. The team has re-signed forward Davon Jefferson of Southern Cal.

Maccabi Haifa opens its season on Oct. 25.

"Tyler's size and natural talent will present matchup problems in our favor against other teams in Israel," coach Avi Ashkenazi said in a statement. "We know Tyler is hungry to prove himself on the court. We look forward to him developing over the course of the season and improving our team."

Wilson said Rosen bought the North American rights to Premier League games and plans to stream Maccabi Haifa games live on www.triangleinternet.tv as a way to promote the league in the United States.

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Hope he doesn't blow his knee out the first year...he'd be screwed for life.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nah, then he can go to school and hobble around on 1 knee while getting a degree.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its better than getting your knee blown out by some highschool scrub undercutting you plus he will have some money for college.

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

He's 18 and in a foreign country....he'll probably blow most of the money

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I used to be against this, but not anymore.

There are, IMO, lots of advantages to playing pro ball early-

1. If you suck, when you go to college you'll take it seriously instead of taking some fluff major.
    2. You will probably learn more being overseas in Europe (the culture, possibly a different language, etc.) than being stuck in a crappy public school.
    3. The quality of play is better than in HS basketball, so your basketball skills will improve.
    4. You will get paid. Even if you blow it, hopefully you learn it's a mistake to blow your money.

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I guess my whole issue is that it doesn't make smart financial sense to risk so much. 60% of NBA players are BROKE less than 5years after retirement. Thats just incredibly stupid. If the NBA really cared about the players more than they cared about money, then they'd require all players to have at least 2yrs of college before going pro. Why not? There are minimum requirements for most jobs, why not with pro teams? I realize this guy isn't going to the NBA yet, but for his own good, I hope his team forces him to take Financial planning classes while he's in Israel.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

agreed.

failing to see how a mandated 2 years of college fixes the problem. What, in that second year the future NBA star is going to learn how to not blow millions of dollars? Unlikely.

In this given situation, I'd agree with Mr. Clutch.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that. 20year old college students are still pretty rfeaking clueless...and even more dangerous, perhaps, because they think they are mature and knowing.

either way. It's the kids decision...and who's to say he still doesnt obtain a HS diploma?

12. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

In general, I see absolutely no problem with this practice whatsoever. You can look at the decision from two angles: 1) what is good for his basketball career, and 2) what is good for his life and non-basketball career prospects.

Regarding angle 1: If he is committed to basketball at this point in his life and not in going through school, it makes some sense for him to play professionally as soon as possible. He can practice and get coaching all day, year round, instead of dedicated a large portion of his time to maintaining his grades.

Regarding angle 2: Isn't the one of the main ideas of going to school, to get a good paying job and set yourself up for a career? If someone offered me 140k as a HS junior and gave me the opportunity to live abroad, I'd jump at it. Worst case scenario is that you leave with 140k more in your wallet, a wealth of experiences, and you just go right back and complete your studies.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You can use your 140k to go back to school, live in a nice place, not have to worry about practice, not worry about getting a job, more time dedicated to studies. Can't assume he'll blow that money. So great decision on paper.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is going to be a pro baketball play why waste his time with stuff he will never use. If he can't play then he can go back to school later.

15. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

This is irresponsible on the kid's part, and even more on the parents.....Education is very important, and once he blows out his knee, he'll get his GED, but getting into college is becoming harder and harder....Ignorant parents

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Let's say he sucks, and he loses his eligibility to play in the NCAAA. Can he still he still play college ball in Europe? Do they even give scholarships for college ball in Europe, since they have junior professional leagues for teens and young adults?

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He can get a tier 1 undergrad State school degree if he maintains a 3.0 at a JUCO for 2years, its almost guaranteed.

18. stillillmatic

stillillmatic Member

better than no money at all

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Say he does blow all that money. Does he have any now? Comes out wiser and with more experience for it. What would he really get out of that last year in HS? Something perhaps but not as much as a year in another country.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Senior year is a waste of time anyhow...