1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Skip Bayless: "In big time games, Asik>Howard"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Progs, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SeabrookMiglla

I agree to an extent. Against really tough big defenders dwight becomes useless on the offensive end. Asik plays big against teams with strong big men. I've noticed this since we have acquired dwight

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The offense is simple. Move the ball around and pass up good shots for better shots. Last season Harden didn't have faith in that system and preferred ISO'ing late. Harden has improved immensely in that area. He still holds the ball too much but there is much less of those dribble dribble pass with 4 seconds on the clock possessions from him.

Now the problem is Howard. Pass up good shots for better shots only in Howard's case it's pass up bad shots for anything else. I'm all for reposting and getting the ball to Howard. But he is a turnover waiting to happen when he dribbles more than 3 times down low. And if he holds the ball for 4 seconds before making his move he shoots like 40% or less. Turnovers blocked shots, stupid hooks from more than 6 feet out. He doesn't produce very effectively in any of those situations.

If only he could see move the ball. Get the ball to Howard make a quick move if it's not ther dribble quickly toward the basket if doubled pass quickly to anyone open. DMo use to wait for him in the corner but he quit doing it because Howard never passed to him. Howard slowly trying to force something to happen in the middle is almost as bad as Lin picking up his dribble in the paint.

I don't think this is a difficult fix. Just play the game more like DMo. Make hard screens and quick PnRs, move the ball around more and concentrate much more on defense when your offense is struggling. Do that and he helps this team more except Howard has not changed much over his career. I don't see much change going forward. The only solution I see is start out the game feeding him. If he gets off to a good start keep feeding him. If he doesn't stop feeding till the end of the game.

3. lowlife

lowlife Member

With about 7 FGA per game and limited touches, yes it was.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Hmm. Thats a bit of a stretch by Skip since Howard's back has been acting up the last couple of games. I hope he isn't right.

5. MichaelG281713

We beat three good teams in a row, and we got no topic on first take. Dwight killed on his return to LA, and nothing.

They always say they keep it real and run from nothing, but they dodged every bit of Rockets success. Then Dwight has one bad game, and guess what....it gets it's own topic.

Stephen A. did give Harden big praise the other day. But, still, it just seemed he like wanted to prop him up to discredit Howard. Also, Skip and the (other) brain dead, fugly horse of a host just looked 100% butt hurt that anything nice was said about the Rox.

They're cowards.

6. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

That show is just that, a show. Skip and Smith take two sides and argue over it every week. In the Howard case Skip trashes him, Smith defends him. They don't actually watch any of the games.

7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rVVaMEHmvAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

if only dwight could get away with some of these :rolleyes:

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I guess Skip missed the games against Indiana and Miami last week.

9. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Skip Bayless = Professional Troll

That being said, he might surprise you if you read any of his articles. As a writer he does not resemble the talking head you see on TV at all. He just knows what gets ratings.

[​IMG]

10. Play07

Play07 Member

But he saw the one against Portland & OKC ? Is so he has the right to talk as of now, as homers we gone ride with Howard, bit truth is he inconsistent like Lin, he has to be benched in plenty of games for asik so far, & asik hasn't even played half the season...

That's not a good look no matter how u slice it up, that our highest played player SUPERSTAR can cost us games if known mad backup Omer Asik has to come in and help the team.

11. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Howard isn't nearly as skilled as Shaq either.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If by "skilled" you mean knowing how to use his physical dominance, then yes. But if you are talking about basketball skills, I don't know how much Shaq was better than Howard.

Shaq played a bullying game, getting his way close to the basket. Dwight is not nearly as physically imposing. He can't just back down the defender like Shaq did.

13. dragician

dragician Member

he's got a point but there's only one way to find out.. come playoffs... that's the real big time games.

14. fattz

fattz Member

Howard still has his label from his Laker days. I thought the same thing (but dollar for dollar Asik was better) Howard is a much better player today then when we signed him. I was wrong (I watch the Rox) Skip is wrong and doesn't follow the Rox SO he looks really foolish going off of old information.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Amen.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well, not exactly, if he writes anything not related to the Dallas area, he is just the exact same Skip Bayless you are seeing on TV.

17. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Skip bayless is an idiot, didn't you get the memo?

18. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

This all day. Skip Bayless is not an idiot. He says idiotic things on purpose to get people talking about how much of an idiot he is. At the end of the day, he has lots of people talking about him. Mission accomplished.

If you want to make him disappear, STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I really hate Cari Champion. Her glee over Skip's criticisms of Dwight was SO annoying.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

anybody who buys into the 'dwight couldn't handle the bright lights' thinking is deluded. Those lights are pretty bright at the bottom of the WC with nash/kobe a sneeze away from injury.