1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ski tips

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dachuda86, Nov 14, 2011.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

hey I want to go skiiing and looking into Colorado. Any tips on places and where to find the best snow and which ones aren't overpriced?

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wolf Creek was good last year.

We're headed to Lake Tahoe in Late December, can't wait.

It's a crapshoot if you go early in the season. Just keep doing the snow dances.

I got lucky when I went to Silverstar Resort a couple of years ago, and Angel Fire (their snow sucked).

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

angel fire was balls.

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

If you want to have fun, Breck probably has one of the most fun towns. It's also great ski wise.

5. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

We've gone the last three years during Spring Break.

First year was Breckenridge flying into Denver. This was our first time ever snowboarding/skiing and so we didn't know what we were doing. It was super expensive.

Second year we drove (my wife hates flying) to Keystone which is pretty close to Breckenridge. We really enjoyed Keystone as it was pretty low key and the prices were much better than Breckenridge. It was just a really long drive for us.

Last year we did Angel Fire, NM which was a much shorter drive, though still pretty long from Austin. Considering the drive, this was my favorite. My teenage son had more stuff to do besides play on the mountain. The worst part was probably the snow conditions were fairly pair and deteriorated throughout the week because it was at the end of the season. Plus the first few days, the lines were really long compared to the first two resorts we had been to.

If we didn't have to drive, we would probably do Keystone again, but it's more likely that we'll give Angel Fire another year this time.

6. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

Also, if you go during any peak times, reserve all of your equipment and lift tickets before making the trip.

7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

8. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

It might be a good idea to buy your own equipment. Sure it's expensive if you don't ski or snowboard often, but worth it to never have to line up to rent beat up crap. At the minimum, buy ski boots or snowboarding boots. Your feet will be more comfortable and you won't have to put on a pair of strange disgusting smelly boots that 100 other guys have worn.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You should hold off on any trip until after Christmas, there just isnt enough open or enough snow before then, you will be missing out on a lot of what these places have to offer.

As for price, you are gonna be paying a lot no matter where you go. The expensive places are expensive for a reason. As others have mentioned, Breckenridge has far and away the best mountain town, and is also probably my personal favorite ski spot. Keystone has great snow, but the town sucks. Vail is a good little town (much smaller than Breck and more expensive) and has a ton of terrain. You could go more local to places like A-Basin, Loveland Pass or Eldora, but none of these places have towns at the base and you would be doing a great deal of driving/shuttling from Dillon or Boulder.

As for passes and equipment. Depending on how long you plan on skiing, it might be worth looking into a season pass. I know my Epic Pass pays for itself in 5 visits which is about how many weekends a year I head up to the mountains. As others mentioned, buying ski boots is pretty affordable and more comfortable, especially if you find last season's models. Skiis are really expensive to buy so you should probably just rent those. Get yourself a helmet as well.

I was actually gonna head up to A-Basin yesterday, but the bus was sold out and my car can't make it that far into the mountains.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

If you don't mind flights, we got free ski for a week and a huge condo up in SilverStar Resorts. Flight, transportation, and ski was all inclusive for about $1200. (full size kitchen, living room, dining, balcony, fireplace, 2 bedroom (one with queen size bed and the other with 2 bunk beds. Also had a couch bed.

Of course this is in Canada, and is only good for early season (mid - late December).

www.skisilverstar.com

11. peterrkim

peterrkim Contributing Member

if you happen to be in school or know anyone to take advantage of it, there was a company called UBski that do deals for college students. discounted equipment/lodging/lift tickets if i remember correctly.

we went in january 3 years ago at steamboat or breckenridge, we went twice.

totally worth it. not as much traffic since most high schools and under are back in school and the powder was fresh. breckenridge is fun but if you got your friends with you wherever yall go would be fun i'm sure. i'd definitely would want to go back to steamboat, breckenridge/keystone slopes are most fun imo.