1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers Likely To Trade Iggy This Off-Season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Tha TC, May 8, 2011.

1. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

The Philadelphia 76ers will look to trade star wing Andre Iguodala this offseason, according to Kate Fagan, the Sixers' beat writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer. The 27-year-old Iguodala, who finished eighth in NBA Defensive Player of the Year voting, has three years and $42 million left on his contract.

Fagan reports that Sixers coach Doug Collins has found a core of players led by Jrue Holiday and Thaddeus Young that he feels comfortable with, and that if Philadelphia can get a solid return for Iguodala -- which remains a question mark -- the team would be better in the long-term. How Evan Turner, the Sixers' No. 2 pick in 2010, fits remains to be seen; Iguodala spent much of this season at small forward, with Young coming off the bench. If Young becomes a starter going forward, trading Iguodala could free up a slot for Turner, who had a strong NBA Playoffs series against the Miami Heat.

Fagan mentions two specific rumors: an Iguodala for Rudy Gay trade, and a swap for Chris Kaman. But if Iguodala is seen as available, options could open up. Teams whose season has ended can execute trades now and through June 30, but franchises taking on additional salary will likely want to wait until a collective bargaining agreement is reached to assess how the league's new economic system (if there is one) punishes teams with high payrolls.

Andre Iguodala Trade By Sixers Possible, According To Report - SBNation.com

I bet Iggy ends up in LA next year but i feel it'll be for the Lakers, say goodbye Pau you can be soft in Philly and then let the fans eat you alive

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Go ahead armchair GMs; go fire up that trade machine and start the Iguodala-to-Houston trade proposals.:p

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like his heart and defense but not so much his contract and offense. How's his knee doing?

4. what

what Member

First, it's a mistake to trade andre. Second, they are dreaming if they believe they can flip him for Rudy Gay. Kamen is far more likely.

Iggy to dallas would be a good spot for him.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You know, a Gay-Iguodala swap might not be that bad for you guys. Iggy is the better defender, rebounder and playmaker, though obviously Gay the better scorer.

At the very least, Iguodala would realize his role on the team and play off Zach. I think it's clear that you guys are at your best when going through ZBO, though I'm not sure Rudy ever bought into the second-option role.

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I'm not big on Iggy, but Kaman has not that type of value. Makes no sense for the Sixers, either.

Gay makes a little more sense for the Sixers, though the Grizzlies probably prefer Gay, since a Iggy and Tony Allen combo, while great on defense, leaves a lot to be desired on offense.
    The value disparity, if there is any, isn't big though, no matter what you - as a Grizzlies fan - want to believe.

I'd be tempted to trade for Iggy, but probably wouldn't pull the trigger unless it's a no-brainer type of deal.
    He's a good player and would be a great compliment next to Martin, however he's simply not worth his contract, seems to have quite a big ego and his knees are a concern.

7. what

what Member

Once again, this is a fallacy. Neither Gay nor Randolph ever worried about #1 or #2. If anything they defer to one another.

Go look at Gay's stats. From last year to this year, he improved in almost all facets of his game but scoring.

In fact, you guys continually criticize Gay for the fact that he doesn't take over games like Westbrook(supposedly) and Durant do.

Take it from me, Gay would make the grizzlies nearly unbeatable, if he were playing, because he would take the pressure off of Zach.

The only player that Gay doesn't play well with is OJ Mayo. Because OJ has no role when Gay is in the game.

8. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Do not want.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

now let's just calm down. i know grizz fans are excited but c'mon now.

10. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Memphis actually got better when Gay got injured. One reason is because it allowed them to unleash Tony Allen for longer periods of time. The other is that it gave them more structure - Zbo is the main guy, everyone else does their thing.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Lakers should not trade Gasol for Igoudala

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Iggy on the Clippers would be sick.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

doesn't Doug Collins like Scola?

14. what

what Member

They actually did not get better, and Tony was playing the same minutes as before.

And why am I arguing this with a guy who doesn't watch the grizzlies & has no knowledge of the situation anyway?

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

you don't get better when you lose one of your top 2 players. he's probably one of those posters who say we were better without yao when he went down several years ago.

players may play harder to compensate for gay's loss, but his presence would basically give this series to the grizz.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Funny, Rudy Gay was the first thing that came to mind. Iggy seems like a good fit there.

17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

While I guess we'll have to take it from you, since you are basically the only person making this argument. Look, they probably would be better, but nearly unbeatable? Don't get ahead of yourself. The Grizzlies are playing really nice right now, and hell they might even win the series against OKC. However, you are clearly letting your love for the Grizzlies hinder your judgment.

Btw, It's gonna be great when the grizz management cannot find enough money to pay Gasol in the offseason, enjoy the ride while it lasts buddy...

18. Htown's2kFinest

He's probably the best wing defender right now in the NBA behind Tony Allen. Even Hollinger had Iggy on his All-Defense 1st team over Lebron. If he goes anywhere I hope it's here in Houston with Lowry/Martin playing alongside him.

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Will he agree to a restructuring of his contract? As it stands, HOU's cap room cannot afford him, he's not even the superstar we're looking for

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Perfect for Rockets.