1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sixers 'gauging interest' in Jahlil Okafor trades

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Once they got Joel Anthony, he became expendable.

3. malakas

malakas Member

I don't see any problem with that. Perhaps it would be better if they hadn't let it leak but nothing wrong with gauging interest when it's impsossible to keep both Noel and Okafor in the roster. By the summer they will trade one.

Btw Codman said that Noel was available in the trade deadline..not just exploratory fillers.

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't think the off the court issues are helping Okafor in the eye of Sixers management.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Ainge came out and said he had a deal almost ready for the BKN pick.
    Later a source said it was for Okafor but on Wednesday Philly changed their mind.

It shows that Collangelo is ultimately in charge because Hinkie would have been all over that.

And I'm annoyed that Ainge is coming out and talking about failed trades to excuse himself about not doing anything. GMs shouldn't do that, at least themselves. Use leaks that can be then denied. It creates only problems and destroys relationships.

6. Chamillionaire

Would've been a great trade for Boston. They got Amir who's more a defender rebounder anyways.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Excellent article on Okafor that was retweeted by Zach Lowe. The Sixers definitely should trade them if they can get something great back.

http://patternofbasketball.blogspot.com/2016/02/76ers.html

1 person likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nice article.

1. I get the idea of "losing out" on guys they have developed, but the reality is that the Rox are trying to conserve cap space to use it on a superstar so losing Motiejunas or whomever are opportunity costs the Rox give up so they can sign someone far better. Sure you lose out on these home grown talent but given limited capspace who do you prioritize, Dmo or kevin Durant? I would have thought this is pretty basic but considering DD and his ilk who can't even understand how salaries and the nba cap work then I guess not.

2. Regarding Okafor, I thought the article is being too harsh on him very few players are instant impact guys off the draft and Okafor got into one of the worst developmental teams in the league, 76ers are obsessed with being bad so it is inevitable Okafor (and really the rest of the 76ers prospects) will pick up bad habits and probably won't improve, how can he play D when the 76ers pick a bad coach and seem more happy with a loss than with a w?

Why he is even playing at the C spot, he is clearly better as a 4 spot you have tons of 4s who are defensive liabilities so you can hide him that way. The problem is Okafor doesn't care about the 76ers and you can see it in his play and bad +/-, not surprised 76ers are trying to trade him they totally messed the draft.

As for the whole analytics movement while Morey is the most famous one I think he isn't obsessed about it like other people, DM has continually said they don't rely on analytics 100% it is just one of their many tools. OTH, I think Hinkie is 100% analytics and his tenure as 76ers has been a total flop. You can't totally simulate everything on the pc and Hinkie pretty much wasted all their previous picks doing his crazy "I'm playing 3d chess everyone is playing checkers" strats which makes no sense like getting guys who won't come to the NBA or guys with serious injuries. I think 76ers owner pretty much ended his tenure and I believe somebody else is in charge now (D'Antoni?), maybe Hinkie is best as an assistant GM rather than the main man.

9. malakas

malakas Member

He can't play the 4 well either. He can't shoot well, and he by no means is able to defend 4s or defend in space. And you take away his biggest strength the post game.

There's no way the Noel-Okafor pairing works. Now the question is who fits better with Embiid.

10. CertifiedTroll

Larry Sanders

11. macho87

macho87 Member

Will embiid ever play in the nba?

12. malakas

malakas Member

who knows. And who knows if he does if he can play a lot of minutes/games any more and how far behind he has been left in his progress. He hasn't played any games for 2.5 years.

But Noel decision can't wait because he will look for an extension this summer. And next summer he needs to get paid. Hinkie only has two trade seasons left to decide if he trades him. Someone with Noel's defensive talent is not fit to be just a backup and will get a big contract by other teams. 17+ at least.

Imo Hinkie would be stupid to trade Noel over Okafor.

13. macho87

macho87 Member

True. I'd take a defensive anchor at the 5 over an offensive center. That's one of the reasons I'm not a huge boogie fan.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

They are foolish for looking to trade him, but the constant rumor is that every legitimate player in Philly wouldn't mind being traded. That's understandable. Okafor has arguably the best up-and-coming post-game in the league. Towns gets the job done, but Jahlil is something special. I haven't seen moves like that since...Nah, can't say those words yet. :)

But, what a crappy organization and methodology of becoming a better team. Tanking hasn't worked for them, nor does the method work well that often.
    At its best, the Sonics/Thunder maximized losing into gathering some great pieces, but then, as we all know, they destroyed it for financial security. What's the point of all of the losing then?

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hinkie deserves to be fired. Terrible GM

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Al Jefferson?

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He no longer runs the organization.

19. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

A bit of an overstatement to say OKC destroyed anything when they are trotting out a .700 win team headlined by studs such as KD, WB, and a 3 point shooting, rim protecting big named Ibaka. I guess winning 70% of your games is bad this year?

Also, did you not read the article? Towns can protect the rim, Okafor cannot. Who care's what they can do on offense, you aren't going to build many championship teams around bigs who can't play defense.

Okafor is going the way of Enes Kanter and Al Jefferson. Again, who cares?

20. buffalobills!!!

Stat nerds are flopping