1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers felt Houston did not call them back for a counteroffer before Brooklyn deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 15, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

I like guaranteed picks now than banking on the Nets bring bad tbh. Plus do you honestly believe Maxey was gonna keep Morey from getting Harden?

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

If you say so.

3. Denovo

Denovo Member

It’s a fact. All 3 contracts of KD Harden and Kyrie end in 2023 Unrestricted. They can opt out of player options in 2022.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

What do you believe? Poster provided two options.

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think they will form the next super team in Utah or Memphis? Likely they will stay in the biggest market. Look how hard it is for even teams like Chicago and Houston which are the 3rd and 4th largest markets in the country to secure superstar free agents. As far as NIke and Klutch is concerned, it NY or LA or bust.

HP3 likes this.
  6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Instead of gambling on the picks being bad you are gambling that Simmons retains (or really increases) value and that a bad team with a high pick is willing to trade that and other considerations for him when he's got a couple of years left on his max deal and is represented by Klutch as he's getting close to his "team up with X star to chase a ring" age instead of keeping whatever assets we want themselves.

Zach Lowe says it's impossible to reconstruct exactly who offered what in failed trade talks and I think that's probably right. If this was a Pau Gasol trade type thing where most of the league had no idea he was even available I'd say our FO/owner really dropped the ball.

If we believe this one reporter with a non-specific source saying Philly is annoyed they didn't get to put their best offer forward (and I'm not 100% going to think that was right) I'm inclined to think that was probably Morey's fault since Harden has been somewhat on the block for almost two months and there was a close to a full day where trade talks really accelerated. This complaint isn't unusual in a bid process in any industry where whoever loses says they should have gotten one more chance to make their best offer.

If we really were considering Philly idk if it was just Maxey and/or the picks/protections as well.

7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Also, I'm totally fine with you having your opinion, but you can't say something is fact without proof, or just based on a hunch. You don't know the future better than anyone else.

HP3 likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

I believe you can tank on a team with Simmons on it.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

There are teams out there who I believe would have taken Simmons on.

Well if it was just random beat reporters saying it that’s one thing but Chris Haynes saying Tillmam would not trade Harden to Morey makes me revalue all of this. Why not consider Philly though? We had all the time and more leverage here given what was going on with Kyrie.

10. Denovo

Denovo Member

How old do you think KD and Harden are? We have control of the Nets picks until 2027. Contracts end in 2023.

It’s common sense.

Market is irrelevant to this topic. The Knicks are still trash. The Lakers were trash for almost a decade before AD.

You’re debating against age and length of contracts lol. Literal facts.

11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

If the trade was 100% spite we probably wouldn't have sent James to BKN either and let him go exactly where he wanted after all the stuff he pulled forcing his way out.

I think it's common sense that to at least some extent Tilman's anger with Morey was going to be somewhat of an obstacle getting this done and any comparable offer was going to favor BKN (Windy and McMahon talked about that). Idk if Haynes reporting is someone from Philly telling him that to explain why they think they didn't get Harden or someone in the Houston FO who was specifically told "I don't care what Daryl offers, James is not going to Philly." My guess is the former, but who knows.

But Morey also knows how pissed Tilman is at him, which is all the more reason not to fart around and hold back his best offer when there's a multi-team trade being put together on the other side. We got the biggest draft haul in recent NBA history. I don't know if I agree that we had all the time we wanted to not worry about BKN getting cold feet either.

Without being able to read transcripts of the calls I'm not putting too much stock into there being some drastically better offer Philly would have shown us that we didn't see solely because of spite.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

We had time on our side to leverage the situation in our favor. James Harden said what he said and didnt have to be with the team. The Nets had not heard from Irving. There was no reason to just rush into this trade when both teams very clearly wanted Harden.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If you think simmons isn’t good enough to make a team decent, why do you think a team would trade a lot for him?

Htown's Finest likes this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The nets literally couldn’t trade more, this was EVERY pick they are allowed to trade

15. HP3

HP3 Member

There are a lot of teams out there who could have much better records if they didnt tank.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Im talking about leveraging Philly, not the Nets.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Philly couldn’t offer as much, their picks aren’t as valuable because embiid is much younger

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Maxey, picks(maybe without protections) and flipping Simmons would bet you a more guaranteed return.

19. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

DM should know Rafa and should’ve come with his best deal out da box.

It’s also possible Tildo told Stone only one team you can’t trade with. If that is true it is sad and short sided.

What is best for team should alway be at the forefront.

I hope Stone gets the chance to build it up without restraints.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

guaranteed? how are you getting a guaranteed top 3 pick?