1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Six Imams Kicked off US Air Flight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sishir Chang, Nov 21, 2006.

1. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Some guy said to treat others as you would treat yourself, I don't know if you've heard of him. Would you be okay if your kind was forced in these situation because of your choice in religion?

I'm not so much against bush as I am against his devout followers. After all, I did vote for the guy back in 2000.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder will Americans start getting Harrassed in Muslim countries

Rocket RIver
    I wonder are they already

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

While the reaction is somewhat understandable -- not excusable, but understandable -- I am guessing that most Americans don't really understand what a typical 'hijacker' or even a 'suicide bomber' is trained to do in order to carry out his mission.

If we take the 9/11 hijackers for an instance, they dressed and acted 'Western', even went to a bar and had a few alcoholic drinks a couple of nights before they were to carry out their mission. On the morning of the hijacking, they passed through the airport and boarded the planes looking and acting no different than the rest.

Let's take some of the suicide bombing attacks inside Israel for another instance. The perpetrators are taught/instructed to 'blend in' as much as they can in order to not draw attention and make it easier to actually go through with their mission. In fact, there were numerous times when Palestinian bombers dressed like Orthodox Jews and boarded buses or walked into buildings to blow themselves up.

In that sense, these guys are specifically trained to 'blend in', not to 'stand out' and make themselves noticed. A guy dressed like a sheikh or an imam is very, very unlikely to be the next Mohamed Atta. If anything, the fact that he 'makes it known' that he is a Muslim puts him through even more hassle than the average airline passenger. He was probably given a cavity search before he got through security. Logical thinking would tell me that he's about as low a 'threat' as any of his fellow passengers.

Again, I know that people tend to act more on instincts than rational thought, that's a given in most cases. I am all for people taking care not to unnecessarily making their fellow passengers fearful, and I would prefer that if someone has to pray before boarding an airplane that they do it without being animated or being audible. We should be mindful of the people around us and be more accommodating when we can. It's not too much to ask, I think.

It's also important to note that not just Imams have been put through this ordeal. We have had Jews and Sikhs and Hindus removed from airplanes for praying, speaking a foreign language, or just 'looking Arab' while flying.

4. deepblue

deepblue Member

So tell me again what does "pro bushie christians" have to do with this? Did the article say the other passengers on the plane were devout followers of Bush?

5. deepblue

deepblue Member

Not only that, I am sure Bush is telling JVG to sit Novak on the bench.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What bothers me is that US Air wouldn't fly the men to their destination after their interrogation. At that point, US Air knows these men pose absolutely no danger to the flight. In what way are they justified in refusing service? Shouldn't they instead be apologizing profusely for all the trouble and giving them vouchers for all the hardship US Air had needlessly caused these men?

7. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

The Irony is that the old mullahs will never be the ones to die for God. They will never be the ones to run into battle or to blow themselves up.

Its always the impressionable, dissillusioned youth that these leeches will suckle onto. While they enjoy their power and their lifestyle, they push these youth to hate, kill and die.

Meanwhile they themselves have four wives, are very well fed and live comfortable and powerful lives.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Is it any different in any country in the world? When was the last time a president or primister lead a charge? ;)

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

That’s what I was thing…isn’t it illegal in the U.S to refuse service based on color/religion/ethnicity?

10. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

....corrected.

11. ooze

ooze Member

flying while muslim:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-nolNcJ1G7w"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-nolNcJ1G7w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, just a smartass.

DD

13. nyquil82

Look in this thread, who are the only people okay with this?

14. deepblue

deepblue Member

So one person on this bbs represent all "pro bushie Christians"? way to generalize and back pedal.

15. nyquil82

As much as 6 Muslims trying to practice their religion represent the terrorists on 9/11. See how I made you do exactly what I wanted you to do? You sound just like a muslim who gets offended when he gets profiled as a terrorist. Getting profiled sucks and you don't sound okay with it, so if you believe in Jesus, you shouldn't be okay with it happening to other people.

Funny how things go full circle.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

:D :D :D

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

What is that internet thing you young folks use... ownt... pwnt... something like that?

Whatever, there it is. :)

18. deepblue

deepblue Member

I never said I was ok with it, do you have problems reading my post?

I was calling you out on taking shots at so called "pro bushie Christians" when the story is completely unrelated.

19. deepblue

deepblue Member

Did you actually read the other posts?

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Really? What if that person was overweight which caused him to sweat alot, or had Turrets Syndrome which caused him to "fidget strangely" or act in a "strange nervous manner"? Wouldn't being concerned about his behaviour be discriminating against him?