1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sitcoms] Arrested Development

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pradaxpimp, Dec 9, 2004.

1. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Does anyone else watch this or am I alone. This show is great and I wish it would get more run. Personally, I'm not all too fond of sitcoms but Arrested Development is awesome.

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I watch it every week and its a great show. My only complaint is the humor can be very hit or miss. It can almost be a little irritating at times but the great black humor at times more than offsets that.

The latest issue of Poof :D

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its my favorite show on television... and its by far the best comedy since Seinfeld.

Amazing cast... amazing stories.... amazing references to pop culture (and GWB/Saddam references galore)... subtle jokes so hilarious... and the best of all... David Cross.

Everybody I know who's given this show a fair chance has come away amazed and STUNNED by how good it really is. Frankly, nobody gives it much attention because it comes on the quality network known as FOX :rolleyes: ... but when people realize that its Ron Howard and Brian Grazer behind it, they then realize why its so damn good.

Its now reached cult status, as far as being people's favorite show. You can goto televisionwithoutpity.com and find much more stimulating discussion under their sitcoms forum.

Once again... an amazing show. (btw, it won the emmy).

Did anybody else notice all the Charlie Brown references in the last episode... when they were walking away w/ their heads down, and the sad charlie brown music was playing... they even had a shot of a red dog house with a beagle on top!... amazing!

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

just finished watching nearly all of the first 3 seasons on DVD. awesome show. definitely one of my favorites.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

for a second, my heart skipped a beat when you said first 3 seasons... but I know the show just started last year, so you probably meant 3 discs of season one.

I only wish that people keep watchin the show, so it will stay on the air. Their ratings are still not as spectacular as the show is in quality... but when you factor in that they are very high on the 18-29 age group viewers, and that they suffer anyways because they're on fox.... they're not doing bad at all.

Besides, its too much of a critical smash for fox to do anything with it but keep it on the air... they learned their lesson from family guy.

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

This is my favorite new TV show -- been watching it since like the third episode. I'm working on a fansite right now. It'll be at http://www.themodelhome.com

Hopefully I'll have it up within the next two weeks.

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

That was great. Also in that scene, just before the doghouse, there are two people carrying away a Christmas Tree, just like in the Charlie Brown Christmas Special.

AD has great quotes too . . . literally you could make a whole thread of great quotes for every episode.

"It's as ann as the nose on plain's face"
    "I will be buried in my father's place, because he loved magic so very much"

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Very cool. Keep us posted on the site.

9. drapg

drapg Member

This is hands down the greatest show on TV.

I didn't think anything would ever take that title away from "Scrubs", but Ron Howard finally did.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"That was 90% gravity..."

"I've made a huge mistake."

"Annyong."

Honestly, I could do this forever and still laugh at each one of their quotes.

Note to all... if you do actually watch sitcoms, give this one a honest chance, and you will not be dissapointed. The only thing that can compare is scrubs, and as drapg said, AD has now surpassed it.

Fox... you've got AD and 24... and yet you continue to promote horrid things such as "my big fat obnoxious boss." and that switching wives show. pathetic!

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's my favorite show as well. I've got the season 1 DVD and I never miss an ep.

12. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

AD is the only show that I tape when I know I won't be home to watch it.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One of my favorite shows on tv right now. :)

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Are you Hermano?
    Como?
    You're gonna be in a como, pal!

Arrested Development is one of the funniest shows on television. Really excellent writing, and good acting. I'm shocked it's on network TV.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This show is terrific. It's what television should be. Sadly the ratings are not up to snuff. If you haven't watched yet, give it a shot.

90% of the stuff on TV is just something to curse at. The humor is stupid, and old. But for some reason folks love it. Thus we have Will & Grace. Then something comes along that is really terrific, and original and it gets poor ratings at first, and then rises to mediocre ratings.

It is sad.

16. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

DELETE

#16 akperez, Dec 9, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On Fox, sunday's, after the simpsons (7:30pm CST).

Frankly, if its not American Idol, Fox doesn't know a thing about promoting shows.

I saw 185 ads for that awful Big Fat Obnoxious Boss show, and only 3 for Arrested Development... the reigning Best Comedy Series Emmy award winner.

I say again... pathetic. Now, its time for more quotes:

"Gilligan killed the skipper..stripper."

Lucille: A camcorder. That’s so you can videotape it when they put you in a naked pyramid and point to your Charlie Browns.
    Buster: I ought to point to Uncle Oscar’s Charlie Browns next time you’re on top of him, Mother.

Michael: I think George Michael is hiding Ann in the attic.
    Lindsay: From who, the Nazis?

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

[Complaining about a gay boat protest upstaging her husband's retirement party]
    Lucille: Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire.

This is one of the jokes from the first ep and it happens very early on. It just sets the tone for the humor of this show so well.

Unfortunately, this show just might be too witty for the average viewer.

Lindsay: Michael, if this is a lecture on how we're all supposed to whatever and blah-blah-blah, well, you can save it, because we all know it by heart.

Lindsay Funke: [reading from Jessie's smear article] "Lindsay's a combative, entitled princess"? I should hire someone to kick your ass for that!

Michael: What's the matter with you? Didn't you bag some woman you're never going to see again?
    Gob: Well, I broke a couple of my own rules. She knows I'm Gob Bluth, and... we got married, and...

Wife of GOB: I'm in love with your brother-in-law.
    George Oscar 'Gob' Bluth: You're in love with your own brother? The one in the army?
    Wife of GOB: No. Your sister's husband.
    George Oscar 'Gob' Bluth: Michael? Michael!
    Wife of GOB: No. That your sister's brother.
    George Oscar 'Gob' Bluth: No, I'm my sister's brother. You're in love with me. Me.
    Wife of GOB: I'm in love with Tobias.
    George Oscar 'Gob' Bluth: My brother-in-law?
    Wife of GOB: I know it can never be, so I'm leaving. I'm enlisting in the army.
    George Oscar 'Gob' Bluth: To be with your brother?
    Wife of GOB: No!

[flashback to George Sr. driving a younger Michael, Gob, and Buster]
    George Sr.: We're out of milk. I could have got it earlier if someone would have left a note.
    [suddenly he runs down J. Walter Weatherman and his fake arm comes off]
    George Sr.: [poorly acting] Why? If someone had left a note, this innocent man would still have his arm! Why?
    [the kids scream as Weatherman comes up to them]
    J. Walter Weatherman: And that's why you always leave a note.

Michael: Tell me the truth. There's been a lot of lying in this family
    Lucille: And a lot of love.
    Michael: More lies.

Gob: Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Carl Weathers: Whoa, whoa, whoa. There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a stew going.
    Tobias Fünke: Yes, that's fine, but I would like to focus on my acting, Mr. Weathers. I did give you my last $1, 100.
    Carl Weathers: Let me tell you a little story about acting. I was doing this Showtime movie, Hot Ice with Anne Archer, never once touched my per diem. I'd go to Craft Service, get some raw veggies, bacon, Cup-A-Soup... baby, I got a stew going.
    Tobias Fünke: [pause] I think I'd like my money back.

19. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

They were playing "Christmas Time is Here" in the background (the sad music from Charlie Brown Christmas) and as the guy is walking down the street he passes a dog house with a Beagle sleeping on top. Very subtle but very cool.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yeah, that's probably what it was. kick-ass any way ya slice it.