1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SiriusXM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Aug 23, 2012.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Help me rid myself of this buyer's remorse!

Please tell me how good of a purchase it was, and if it wasn't tell me why also.

I have the stations in my house from Dish Network and listen to them occasionaly while cleaning, etc. I bought a tuner from Walmart and subscribed to the monthly +/- $15/month plan to have it my car also.

It's not a hit at all financially, but part of me says that I'm just wasting money.

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Put it in perspective.

$15 could be 1 nice meal in a month and you get 30 days of as much variety as possible.

I think it's worth it.

Of course, if you don't listen to it at all, it's a waste of $180 a year.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Sirius XMU is worth the subscription price alone.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheresTheDagger

Depends on how often you find yourself in the car. Its fantastic for long trips or long commutes. Other than that, its kind of a waste. One difference is that you have it in your house where I don't. That could be good especially for those that work from home.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's awesome. I loved having Sirius when I had it. Definitely 100x better than regular radio and they also run deals for you to get it cheap for long periods of time.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I have it in the office on the portable dock they no longer make, in the car and in the home. I pay $35.00/Month for all three, and Howard Stern/Jason Ellis is worth it alone. I dig Chill at night when sleeping, NFL network, College Sports, pretty much every channel in the 30's...to me I couldn't EVER go back to terrestrial radio. So horrible.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You got ripped off...

If you, too, listen to obscure metal bands.

Otherwise, you should like it.

8. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

I've been getting SiriusXM for free for the last 8 months in my car... Well past the trial period. I will not be calling in to ask why

9. Nero

Nero Member

Call to cancel the service.

Tell them it is too expensive.

Then tell them you might reconsider if they give you that '5 months for $20' deal that they are always offering to people who have cancelled.

That is a lot better deal.

$15 per month is WAY too much for that service.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I once kept it for a year for free. Everytime I'd call up to cancel, they'd give me three months free. That worked four times.

I love it. Jam On is the shizzle.

11. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

The "merger" killed it.

Fred, R.I.P.

12. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Sorry man, but I've been a subscriber for a couple of years now, and I am considering cancelling.

Their programming, at least on the channels I listed to, has become very stale.

I typically flip between Octane, Ozzy's Boneyard, & Hair Nation. Octane and Hair Nation seem to have very short redundant playlists (how many times do I have to hear Poison on Hair Nation or Volbeat on Octane, sheesh, way overplayed), and they have totally ruined the Boneyard since they rebranded it Ozzy's Boneyard. For every good Iron Maiden or Dio song I have to sit through random crap from Venom, The Who, and other bands that have no business on that station.

Starting to think i'd be better off just streaming KNAC & HardRadio via my phone.

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Damn, the price has gone up. I use to have Sirius before the merger and it was 7 bucks/month. Howard Stern alone was worth it. This was when I was in college though and had long road trips home once ever other month and for holidays. Plus I lived in Corpus and the radio stations in the town are total crap.

15 bucks sounds kind of outrageous to me. You get Gamefly or Netflix subscription for that price.

14. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Yes yes. My kids and I went on a vacation to Denver last year and drove from Estes Park to Mount Rushmore. I added satellite radio since we would be driving so much. One of my fondest memories of the trip is listening to the 50s on 5 most of the way, hearing a bunch of oldies that I hasn't heard in forever.

But on my 40 minute commute to and from work, the music and podcasts on my iPod are more than enough to get by.

15. Pezmonger

Pezmonger Member

I paid $77 for 1 year. It's the standard package. At that price, it's worth it.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Spotify and Rhapsody are only $10 a month.

You gotta think transmitting via satellite is way more expensive than over the internet / cell phones.

Sirius days are numbered.

17. raj87

raj87 Member

Mog is also a great option, since the streams are 320 kbps mp3. Sirius/XM's stream quality is in the sub 100 kbps category - pathetic.

18. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

One has to figure satellite "radio" has seen its heyday. Phone/handheld technology has all but wiped the need for such a thing. One can now simply create a station on something like Pandora, Slacker, Spotify, etc and have that play in the car.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If you really want to hear someone else's play list, there are plenty of podcasts to download. Last.fm also lets you listen to other people's radio stations, built from their listening history.

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Love my XM!