1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Singleton (vs. Springer)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrisjent, May 26, 2014.

1. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Last September I needed to be in OKC over a weekend. The Redhawks were in the playoffs and had games at home, so I decided to head north early to catch both contests. More than anything, I wanted to see Springer, Singleton, Stassi, Perez and others in what would be the biggest games of their career prior to their big league arrival.

Surprisingly the games did not draw well. I say that only because it allowed me incredibly close seats along the first base line. The vantage point allowed great perspective.

Among the major takeaways I had was the vast difference in how Springer and Singleton handled themselves on the diamond. The discrepancy in their individual approach to the game was both obvious and consistent. Springer showed a natural confidence. His movements were deliberate and natural. He seemed to have a clear singular focus on the field and between each pitch. In sum, he conducted himself professionally. He gave the appearance of a leader.

Meanwhile, Singleton showed the opposite end of the spectrum in most every way. He appeared aloof. He did not look focused. I was surprised, considering it was the playoffs (and for the second home game, an elimination contest), how his demeanor reflected an almost disinterest in the game. If I were to make a comparison, I saw a similar streak in Brett Wallace, at least back when we could get the games televised in Austin. Anyhow, bad body language all around.

It was only two games, but again, it was the playoffs. As an FYI, I have seen each player since, at Roundrock, but those were early regular season games that did not have anything comparable on the line. Regardless, none of those games changed my earlier conclusions. My comments also are in no way a comparison as to physical talent. In fact, in the elimination game, Singleton briefly gave the Redhawks the lead with a moon shot that cleared the right field fence by a good seventy-five feet. The best contact Springer had was a well-hit F8 that was pulled in five feet in front of the center field fence.

More than anything, I think the mental make-up of these players can be a partial predictor as to their future success. Seeing those few games, it appeared that Springer is a player who will put in the work to improve his game. He looks as though he will contribute even when not hitting, in the clubhouse, amongst teammates. He looks like a professional through and through. I got the impression, that Singleton, while immensely gifted, may find himself relying on his natural gifts rather than improving his skills and shoring up any weaknesses in his game. I did not see him offering the intangibles that Springer, or any other potential star player, brings to the diamond each time they take the field.

Singleton is young, he can still mature. Or, maybe what I was reading, what my eyes saw, was all wrong. As an Astros fan, I hope I am. Despite the Redhawks losses, I left happy and with high hopes for Springer. I am equally happy to see the early dividends he is paying at the next level. I am sorry I just do not have equal expectations for our incoming 1B.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

There are red flags surrounding Singleton with the drug suspension and blowing up in weight when he came back. It looks like he's rededicated himself to the game after those incidents but it would not shock me if this kind of stuff comes up later in his career. Hopefully he's grown up and moved past it though.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

One player was 21... the other was 24.

Three years does make a big difference in maturity, focus, and overall demeanor.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He was admittedly drinking heavily as he was in the process of trying to stay off the wacky tabacky

Most pot heads I know aren't real excitable

Hopefully he can stay clean moving forward, it's not easy to do but wish him the best

We could certainly use another power bat

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"Demeanor" from watching one game typically doesn't mean much.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

By all accounts Singleton is clean and in a much better mindset this year, and the results are showing, he's having his best season so far.

Between the ears is Singleton's question mark, if he keeps it together he actually projects as a better hitter than Springer, although not nearly as many tools.

Just hope this maturity sticks.

7. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

When you meet someone, how long does it take you to draw conclusions about the person? When you interview, how long a time-frame does the interviewer have with you with which to base their hiring decision?

Re-read. My opinion was based on five games. Five more than many fans have had the opportunity to see in person and from a vantage point not available from television/youtube clips. Scouts draw conclusions w/ less exposure than that. I chose to expound on two games in particular, b/c the pressure/importance of the playoff series will be among the most important games these prospects will have had until their call-up.

I just chose to express my thoughts, b/c at least for myself, given Springer's success to this point, I must remind myself to temper expectations that Singleton will produce similarly for the reasons I previously stated. One fan's two cents, take it for what it's worth.

8. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Didn't know where else to put this... so here will work. Considering all of the [​IMG], I was looking through his account out of boredom today and stumbled upon this:

[​IMG]

Doesn't seem like he is too optimistic right now, but at least he is still doing well. Character or not, I do not think he will be who the team turns to for leadership. Altuve, Springer, and Correa are high character players that seem to be the guys that will drive this team in the clubhouse, and having someone like Singleton most likely won't stop that. In fact, I am hoping that a trip to Houston will make things more real for Singleton and putting him on an "older" club could be a great influence.

On a somewhat related note, I would be curious to hear a young players thoughts on the differences between minor league and major league club houses. Putting a bunch of major league talent on a team where your future is here rather than on another, higher level must change things.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

When I interview someone, I'm sitting down across a table from them and actually speaking to them.

At a baseball game, you're up in the stands. You have no actual contact with him. You likely can't see him in the dugout and you certainly can't see him in the clubhouse, in the weight room, on the road, etc.

10. Mr. Clutch

The Astros organization knows him more intimately and they seem to like him.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

George Springer homered in his fourth straight game last night.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

Looks like he took that tweet down.

13. boozle222

I am hoping someone visited him from the Houston front office and gave him one of these:

[​IMG]

14. boozle222

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I've realized that I joked about a subject that is not humorous to some people, I never meant to offend anyone and for that I apologize.</p>&mdash; THEiLlEST2400 (@iLLJAY_SiNG) <a href="https://twitter.com/iLLJAY_SiNG/statuses/471361085543841792">May 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Mr. Clutch

16. Txst

Txst Member

The pot smoking alcoholic has only himself to blame for not already being in the majors. He would have been on the same path as Springer if not for basically wasting all of last season. With that said, the Astros will call him up as soon as he gets hot after super 2 status passes in 2-3 weeks.

Looking forward to Springleton!

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

Tweet deletions and ensuing forced apologies have gotten silly.

Pro athletes are so far removed from the typical boss/employee relationship, that, in most cases, it barely matters what they say. Perform, and you will get what you want. Performance = leverage.

I'd rather not hear an apology that somebody told him to write. Stand by what you said. Voice your displeasure, but be sure and back it up with performance.

18. tomato

tomato Member

what did it say

19. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

20. cardpire

cardpire Member