1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Singleton to be optioned to Fresno (to make room for Gomez)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Especially for a team that plays its 3B in the SS hole as much as this one does.

You technically get an advantage employing that sort of shift with a SS converted to 3B, than you do with a traditional 3B.

Hell, I'd be for Corrrea playing that spot in the shift (with his increased range and stronger throwing arm), and let Lowrie handle the up the middle balls that Correa is currently fielding.

1 person likes this.
  2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

That's actually a great point. Hadn't thought about how much you shift changing the actual skills required for a position.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

One of the inherent biases of, well, all stats - but specifically UZR is sample size. Lowrie has 72 career games at 3B; Valbuena 309. But, whatevs...

Cool; that and the shift idea Nick presented make sense. I've always assumed there was *some* reason. And despite Nick repeatedly saying otherwise, I didn't really have an issue (or, "problem" - see how quotes work, Nick :)), other than it seemingly not making sense on the surface.

I trust this regime, and the coaching staff, enough. Just thought it was a curious decision...

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Great... glad we could put this issue to bed. Another BBS crisis solved!

And I think you have an unhealthy obsession with my use of quotations.