1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Singleton to be optioned to Fresno (to make room for Gomez)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Haven't really seen a lot of that.... definitely not enough to consider it a big "problem".

Its not like he's never played there before.

I don't think they want much of Carter at first base anymore.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea the one ball that was really smoked at him last night, he wanted no part of

Not an easy play to make at all, but we have seen Buena make it all year. Lowrie didn't just Not make the play, he really looked like "F this" when the ball was coming at him

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I didn't see it, but if your right, that is a little disconcerting.

But as to why they didnt let Buena stay at 3rd and let Lowrie play 1st, they must have a reason. Its too obvious for it not to have been on someones radar.

4. The Beard

They are about the same size, so it's not like they want Valbuena over there because he has a longer stretch or great reach

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You have this really strange habit of misusing quotations; no one called it a "problem" - it's just a strange decision, actively choosing to disrupt two defensive positions when you really only need to disrupt one.

That's true for Lowrie; not true for Valbuena - he's never played 1B. Lowrie at least has 9 games there. And Valbuena is a *very* good defensive 3B; Lowrie is a mostly average defensive player, generally. Why would you downgrade both positions, especially a premium defensive position? It just doesn't make sense to me - especially given Lowrie injured his throwing hand - so why ask him to make one of the harder throws in the infield? Just a.... curious decision all around.

6. Buck Turgidson

Right, that's why I've brought it up, I just can't figure out their reasoning and am curious. I'm sure the crack staff at the chron will think to ask about it eventually.

7. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

I'd bet it's because Lowrie is in the lineup everyday while Carter/Valbuena are in a platoon. Astros probably don't want Lowrie swapping between two positions based on the handedness of the opposing starting pitcher.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That maybe true for now, but we dont know the endgame when it comes to Carter. If all of August, Carter plays like he has been, I just cant believe he will get the playing in September that he is now. If he gets any at all. Especially if its close at the top of the standings.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is Lowrie really that big of a downgrade though? I know he's not passing the eye test to some of you... I'm just not seeing a huge difference between him, Valbuena or Marwin at 3B. Pretty sure the manager and front office concurs and would rather play all players where they feel the most comfortable, unless the defense is that much impaired.

Remember, Valbuena has pretty much been a platoon guy against lefties so its not as if his defense is good enough usually to keep him in the lineup outright, and it was going to be even less with Lowrie coming back (until they decided to give him a try at first... a move that I would have been fine with Lowrie doing as well, as you already know).

This just seems like another non-issue or a very minor issue at best.... the type of issue that tends to be overblown here by many far more than my use of "quotations". Its also funny that we've come full-circle as your previous argument was that it was some made-up fantasy of mine to put Lowrie at first base.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Aside from the Valbuena/Carter platoon that has mentioned, I'm pretty sure the Astros view Lowrie as their opening day 3rd baseman next year, so he has moved ahead of Valbuena in the pecking order.

And FWIW, there is no statistical evidence that Valbuena is a noticeably better 3B, he just has a lot more reps over there. In what limited time Lowrie has been there, his numbers are solid.

11. The Beard

Maybe it is a "non-issue" (hope it's ok to use quotations, lol)

But the two plays he didn't make last night, while in a crazy high scoring game didn't seem like much at the time, might have made a difference in the end

There are a lot of reasons they could be playing it this way that we don't now about. Maybe Hinch went to them and Buena said he felt fine playing over there and Lowrie said "yea I will if that's what we need, but i'm not real comfortable doing it", so the easy decision was let Buena do it. Maybe they think Lowrie is the everyday 3B on this team until a prospect is ready to take that spot from him, so they just want to put him there now and get moving. Maybe they both took a lot of balls at 1B, and Buena showed a lot better ability digging them out of the dirt that Lowrie did. Who knows, i'm sure they have a good reason.....I just know that the only thing i'm capable of seeing is the games, and Buena likely made two plays last night that Lowrie didn't

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, the fact that those plays aren't resonating with me is probably influencing my viewpoint... I also saw Lowrie make several catches/stabs over the last homestand that told me he could handle the position just fine.

Also, while Valbuena may have the stronger arm... I do think Lowrie makes a better/smoother approach on bunts or dribblers, smoother transition from glove to hand, and usually a very accurate throw.

Again, if it was a significant difference, i'd be right there beating the drum for him to go to first (as I was a month ago)... but for now, its probably just exactly as you described in terms of what the players discussed with Hinch.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

ugh...I just realized that *even Jason Castro* has caught some fire at the plate, and Carter still hasn't.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Saving it till October.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

maybe he wants a nickname like Reggie Jackson?

Chris, I dub thee, Mr. July-August*

16. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I like Valbuena at 3b over Lowrie, defensively.

I would prefer to see Lowrie playing first base, now the question is, can he do it?? Can he play 1b???

17. Hey Now!

If the Astros, in the thick of a pennant race, are making decisions today with next year in mind (beyond the careful management of young arms), the entire regime ought to be fired. You play your 8 best players - and Luis Valbuena, defensively, is the team's best 3B.

18. The Beard

I agree that is how it "should" be

But you are dealing with a bunch of different ego's and situations where it isn't always that simple. I also would prefer Buena at 3B when he plays, but as I said earlier there are a lot of things we as fans don't know about how this all plays out

Lowrie is one of the few veterans among the everyday players, of course without really looking at it and thinking too hard, Valbuena might be the second oldest everyday player we have

19. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Lowrie is like 5'9, shortest 1st baseman in league?

20. Hey Now!

Yeah, I'm sure there's stuff going on behind the scenes we're not privy to - because, on the surface, it makes zero sense.

But ego better not be driving this, either. I understand the importance of managing the clubhouse - but your only priority should be winning.