1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Singleton to be optioned to Fresno (to make room for Gomez)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

His overall Astro numbers -

with July/August '14:
    .215/.310/.445/.755
    (Those are almost identical to his Oakland numbers, btw - .214/.310/.425/.735)

w/o July/August '14:
    .204/.305/.419/.724

I've struggled all year trying to wrap my head around Carter. I certainly understood his value last year (well, July/August) - but also recognized it as a likely outlier. He's been awful this year - but he continues to log far too many ABs for my liking (reduced, granted - but I can't fathom why he's playing at all).

2. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Not that I'm a fan of Valbuena or Carter, but I'll note that those two combined have 20% of the team's RBIs and HRs. They each have a higher OBP than Gattis, who almost never takes a walk. But I think you're right, I doubt we'll see much of Valbuena and Carter in the same lineup anymore, barring injuries.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree. Once we started making moves for guys like Kazmir and Gomez, and it was clear we were going for it...I couldn't imagine Carter would have still been on the team after Friday afternoon, one way or another

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's hit as well as Valbuena and Singleton. Marwin hasn't hit much better. His RC+ each season from 2012-2014 was better than Marwin's 2015. He's sucked. I think we're getting to the point that he's probably worse than he was from 2012 through 2014, but really most of the season we should have been expecting an RC+ in the 110-125 range.

Considering the amount of data we have now in 2015, I think the Astros are looking at other in-house alternatives. Best options appear to be let Marwin be the 1B or platoon Carter with Valbuena or Singleton (pending roster spaces available). Neither option looks better than 2012-2014 Carter and neither option is a drastic improvement over what 2015 Carter is doing.

One of the Astros strengths this season is not having largely negative players.

#84 Joe Joe, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Other problem with Carter is his defense

6. vince

vince Member

Could it be that Luhnow's plan was to insert some home run hitters, that were not very good, but would still draw fans?

A guy could hit sub 200 and belt 25 home runs, and he'll fit on a squad in the league. If he hits 35 home runs he's a star player. If he hits 450 home runs, we are talking about a super star.

Just like the McGwire vs. Sosa home run derby brought a lot of fans back, so to did the allure of home runs. But a funny thing happened, the Astros got heck of a good along the way. And now they don't need side shows to lure fans, they've got a competitive team. And now they realize they can raise ticket prices 20% based on winning.

Carter and Valbuena aren't here for the long term. And I am sure the Astros are trying to quickly replace them with superior options. But, one thing is that how much did they contribute to the winning culture. So a proper GM and coach need to be careful of not ripping a team's chemistry by too many rapid changing parts.

In the end, Carter gets HR and has a decent OBP. Both Carter and Valbuena play solid defense.

So changes aren't too critical, until Springer gets back. And that is when either Valbuena or Carter will find their way off the team.

7. vince

vince Member

Corrected the 450 HR, with what I meant 45 HR.... :eek:

Could it be that Luhnow's plan was to insert some home run hitters, that were not very good, but would still draw fans?

A guy could hit sub 200 and belt 25 home runs, and he'll fit on a squad in the league. If he hits 35 home runs he's a star player. If he hits 45 home runs, we are talking about a super star.

Just like the McGwire vs. Sosa home run derby brought a lot of fans back, so to did the allure of home runs. But a funny thing happened, the Astros got heck of a good along the way. And now they don't need side shows to lure fans, they've got a competitive team. And now they realize they can raise ticket prices 20% based on winning.

Carter and Valbuena aren't here for the long term. And I am sure the Astros are trying to quickly replace them with superior options. But, one thing is that how much did they contribute to the winning culture. So a proper GM and coach need to be careful of not ripping a team's chemistry by too many rapid changing parts.

In the end, Carter gets HR and has a decent OBP. Both Carter and Valbuena play solid defense.

So changes aren't too critical, until Springer gets back. And that is when either Valbuena or Carter will find their way off the team.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think the 2nd set of #'s is actually closer to his Oakland numbers than the first. Which suggests even moreso that those 2 months were the aberration (and I think we're all already on that same page)

9. Hey Now!

While there's a chance Luhnow built the roster with rebuilding fan support in mind, I think the more likely answer is that teams were moving away from power-centric offenses, making players like Carter, Gattis and Valbuena more readily available.

(And Carter's OB% is not decent. AL average is .315; he's at .297. Now, it's decent relative to Valbuena and Gattis... but overall, it's below average.)

10. Major

Major Member

But Singleton *is* worse. He was worse last year and he's been worse thus far this year. This is not a defense of Carter - but Singleton just hasn't taken the position. He'll get more opportunities in September and then I assume an opportunity in April again. But a 0.680 OPS Carter is still better than a 0.630 OPS Singleton, and even that is heavily influenced by one game.

Carter's 0.680 OPS is likely his floor, given his history. Singleton could actually just be worse - his OPS this year is basically identical to his longer stint last year. Singleton is getting on base at a slightly higher clip, but he's hitting for no power at all. Especially now in the 8 spot in the offense, I think the team would rather have a random power hitter in there that's going to hit a HR every 6 games or so. I suspect they would project similar performances at best out of them the rest of the season, but Carter is the vet so he gets the nod in the playoff race.

11. Hey Now!

Frankly, arguing that Carter's .680 is "better" than Singleton's .630 is an exercise in hair-splitting - they're both terrible. No, I don't think this should be a discussion about floors but ceilings: do the Astros have any expectation that Singleton can - with playing time - surpass what we pretty much now know is Carter's expected output (~.215/.300/.430)?

Obviously, 22-year Jonathan Singleton was unable to do that. What bothers me is that outwardly (so putting aside that there may have been internal issues we're not aware of - ie bad attitude, lazy, etc), the Astros - and, it seems a lot of fans - assumed 23-year old Jonathan Singleton couldn't do it, either.

Any maybe they're right (likely); maybe he's ultimately a AAAA. But why bring him up - when 1B is an obvious area of need - and not give him a chance? He had one sustained stretch of semi-normal playing time, in which he started to look more and more comfortable... and, a day after his best game, they demoted him. Meanwhile, while Carter's ABs have been reduced - he's still playing too much, given his production.

I recognize Singleton doesn't rank with Correa, and might not even rank with Tucker - but the Astros, in win-now mode, haven't hesitated to give either of those youngsters ample opportunities.

12. Major

Major Member

I agree long-term with the floor vs ceiling debate. But in a "win-now" situation, I think their primary goal changes from the higher ceiling to the higher floor. They are both black holes in the lineup, but Carter is less of one and they know what they are getting with him. In the 8th spot, not doing much except a HR every 5 or 6 games might be good enough for them.

FWIW, those games came up much earlier in the season when it was more of a feel good "ooh, we're winning" rather than "all in for a World Series", and proved themselves and earned playing time. I think the better comp is VV, who did well more recently and showed more upside than Singleton did, but still isn't proven enough where they instead are keeping Feldman around because he's more experienced and they know what they are getting with him.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agree with your comment overall, but disagree with the pitching comp. VV and Feldman are both solid options. The fact that they're both close to average vs. what the team needs makes the conversation and considerations very different. Allows you to choose a conservative option (due to VV innings) knowing the fill-in is a capable MLB player.

If the 2 pitchers were Wojo vs. Lucas Harrell, I think it would be a relevant comparison.. lol

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I like Valbuena's defense, but Carter is terrible.

15. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, it was strange to me the other day when they had both Lowrie & Valbuena at the corners, but Lowrie was at 3B, I'd think that *if* Valbuena's in the game, he should be there and either Marwin or Lowrie or whoever at 1st.

16. Hey Now!

It is weird; rather than 1 player out of defensive position, it's two. Valbuena's been a disappointment at the plate but he's a really good defensive 3B; I'm at a loss why Hinch is doing that.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Has either looked "bad"?

Lowrie/Valbuena seem pretty similar in terms of ability to handle 3B... so the tie goes to the veteran (in terms of "where" he would like to play).

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Buena has the better arm. Lowrie missed a couple of balls last night that we have seen Valbuena come up with this year

19. Buck Turgidson

Pretty much this.

20. Hey Now!

Lowrie's looked overwhelmed at times, yeah. It just seems like an ill-advised move: why (potentially) disrupt two defensive positions?