1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Singleton optioned; White likely to win job

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's it? Again, you've used lots of words and lots of sentences to basically discuss the possibility of trading Reed... because he plays the same position as White, and has value. Is that not true? Sure, you're saying he shouldn't be traded... yet you're still the one who suggested the possibility. If its not hedging, per-say, its covering all bases.

Not really... regardless of the impetus for discussing it... it was discussed that if Kemp continued to develop, would the organization look to trading Altuve... and would there be more weight to that consideration since Altuve wasn't drafted by this regime. Again, its the discussion of trading one young player due to another young prospect developing... pretty similar (except for the fact that Altuve was already a legit MLB player who'd had success against actual pitching).

Its not "gotcha"... its bringing up a similar discussion you've had in the past, and again pointing out how ridiculous some of these proposals sound (in this case, after a handful of spring training AB's... none of it in an actual MLB game situation).

Yes, more excess words to explain your view about whether or not Reed is more tradeable now than he was 2 weeks ago.... which is fine to speculate, but don't get offended (again) when called out on such speculation.

And no... nothing has changed based on 1 month of ST baseball... except for the fact that their projections of both White/Reed remain sound. Now if White goes out and kills it Pujols-style from day one (doubtful), and there is no possible DH spot/regular AB's for Reed after they get the extra year of club control deadline (again doubtful), and the perfect trade partner presents itself... and they value Reed... and the sky is blue that day... and...and...and... (this is where I stop discussing this, and pray the season starts ASAP).

#61 Nick, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Season needs to start ASAP... but yeah, if he continues to make those ridiculous sounding hypothetical trade proposals (even though he's not supporting the trade, not advocating for the trade... but still suggesting the remote minuscule possibility of it), I'll continue to point out how ridiculous they sound.

I'm just thrilled to actually have a legit/consistent expectation from a 1B this year... and not get into a debate regarding Chris Carter's true value based on esoterica and ultra-select sample sizes, or watching a clearly not ready for the MLB (if ever) player get AB's because he bet against himself and took the guaranteed money (Singleton).

Also thrilled to have an opening day rookie... something unprecedented in the Luhnow era.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

It is part of the charm of it, no doubt. Dysfunction breeds character. This, and cagnajero...the board wouldn't be the same without it at this point, IMO.

It seems like eons ago when I was the focus of HeyNow's ire.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Any prolonged debate that I've had with Hey has involved him clearly implying something or other at some point, me calling him out on that, then him telling me I'm putting words in his mouth (because it wasn't something that he explicitly stated).

Anyway, like the Stros, it's nice to see that this board that we all love is already in midseason form this spring. Gonna be one hell of a year/era.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed on the pattern... I suppose I would take it personally as well, then again I'd also recognize the pattern and probably ease up at some point.

But I would also leave out canga-what's his face.... as part of the "charm" of this place. He still isn't... and I predict its all going to come to a head within the first week of the season, and there will be the usual calls of "ignore/ban..." from both sides.

#65 Nick, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sucks to be the Rangers, A's, Mariners, and Angels. It is hard not being optimistic about these Astros....at least for me.

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I love baseball. I love the Astros. I love bbs.clutchfans.net.

Seriously, is it April 4th yet?

:grin:

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Should Duffy make the team?
    He started very good but at the end, not a good ST.
    At the end, i think that Singleton was even doing better than Duffy.
    With Tucker making the team, maybe thats the reason to go with Duffy over Singleton.

Moran will not make the club, but he was really impressive this ST.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Definitely the most optimism since 2004... and then before that 2000... (unfortunately, both those years featured some pretty mediocre to terrible first-halves... with the former being saved by Beltran/Lidge heroics).

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(never mind)

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Literally your best post of all-time.

1 person likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member