1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Singleton optioned; White likely to win job

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

I'm glad White made the team and have lost faith in Singleton, but people who do that **** on wikipedia are tools.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, like the #28.

3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Colby's response to him even asking would probably be priceless.

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

That contract is one of the few decisions by the GM that I haven't agreed with during his tenure.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Singleton's reality appears to be he can't consistently square ML pitching.

Thank God we have backup (White/Reed).

Doesn't Reed need longer than 2 weeks to prolong FA?

#25 Houstunna, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It was a calculated gamble. It didn't work out, but it only cost them about $7M. It if worked out, it could've saved them a lot more. Not a huge deal... I mean, that's less than a bad 1 year contract on a "good" free agent that doesn't pan out. Irrelevant, esp. in a time when the team wasn't close to cash-strapped

7. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Someone get Bud Norris on the line ASAP to comment on that contract now.

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

If Gattis struggles this year, i think Tucker will be the first one given a chance.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://m.mlb.com/hou/video/topic/88...on-making-astros-opening-day-roster/?c_id=hou

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=567127283&topic_id=8879000&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

"When we got here, we had already seen it tweeter." :)

Walk-on to 33rd round pick to opening day first baseman &mdash; congrats Tyler!

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

11. Nook

Nook Member

Tyler White just knows how to hit.... Exceptional vision to the point of reading the laces... Has an exact strike zone he will not swing outside of, has a tremendous intuition as to the ability to adjust to adversity or changes made by pitchers. Fast hands inside with a linedrive swing. Lead the minors in hard contract.

He isn't the fastest player, nor a great athlete, he doesn't defend well and doesn't hit 50 homers.... But he hits anyone and anywhere.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This outcome was sadly predictable. Even given the incumbant benefit of the doubt, did anybody really think Singleton was gonna win this job?

Excited for White, dude is just a hitter. If he can translate it and become a Mark Grace type hitter, this team may have the best offense in the game.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually would have been kind of disappointed if Singleton did enough in spring training to win the job, because I don't believe he has major league hitting ability and I don't think he works hard. I'd much rather see an underdog like White earn it every day of the week.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

His incumbency was dictated by his contract, not his prior ML level performance. That said, the only way he won the job was for all the other options to fail miserably.

Even if he had started raking two weeks ago, there would have been lingering doubt on my part that it was merely short term success and eventual regression to his mean was nearly a certainty.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I expected Singleton to be the 1B, but not because he really won the job. I just thought he would do enough to not lose the job. He basically lost the job, and then started making regular contact. Unfortunately for him, better contact hasn't really led to more hits.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Expected Singleton to win the job for two weeks until Reed service time issues were up. Not that I expected him to be good...just not as bad as other options. I was not expecting White to play first.

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Can anyone speak to how White's defense has looked in ST? I haven't been able to see many of the games and he hasn't been in the field during the games that I have seen. Is he good, average, poor?

18. conquistador#11

it all works out. though singleton's contract seems bad, our organization is getting godly production from altuve at a very low cost, like kids making socks in china low cost. You can't win them all.
    I was hoping Singleton could live up to the hype but it's not in the works for now.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Hinch has said that White's defense is better than advertised.

Reading between the lines, the Astros see White's defense as average.

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

:grin: Good call...