1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Single hardest activity in sports?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jayzers_100, Mar 11, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Watching drive to survive so I'm gonna throw F1 driver out there -- it's like piloting a fighter jet stuck to the ground.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Being unathletic.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Regarding Tennis:

Tennis was my best sport, and serving my best weapon (well, plus volleying), so AMA. :) Like, want to know how to hit massive Top Spin with a 130mph "flat serve."

One thing about men's tennis that seems unique moreso than other games is the freaking focus these Top players achieve. I wouldn't say the serve is any more difficult than a great returner, but man, the ability to Win seems to have the smallest club of Elite players.

Why is that?

Focus and stamina, combined with the skill, to last 4-5 hours is special? Maybe that's it.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Hitting a baseball. That's it.

KingCheetah, RKREBORN and Jayzers_100 like this.
  5. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I've played a lot of sports and am good but not great at most of them, but if I try to hit a golf ball I suddenly lose all hand eye coordination and look like a complete idiot. So I think it depends on the person.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bowling on PBA oil patterns .. it is a mind****

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Lol good point. However a lot of that has to do with the quality of the pitcher. You can master the movements needed to swing a bat; as in you could throw a ball up and hit it with ease. I can toss a tennis ball up and make contact but it’s usually gonna go out or too slow even if I land in the service box. My groundstrokes are fine, serve is just taking a lot longer to master.

I genuinely suck at ping pong. I’m not sure how anyone plays that sport beyond frat party tomfoolery

8. Buck Turgidson

YES!

I can sit there and look at that little ****ing ball, but I've never taken golf lessons or anything...and I swing at that S.O.B. more or less just like a baseball but different, because that's what my brain tells me to do.

1 out of 5 or so are just drilled long and straight. The rest are completely worthless.

Agent94 likes this.
  9. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I was in a bowling league with a few friends for a while. I'm not even sure why we started, but it might have involved drinking. After a while we got a little serious and decided to practice one day, but there had just been a women's college championship on our home alley. I was actually not too bad on our 9 PM dry ass lanes, but even on college oiled lanes it was a completely different game.

10. Buck Turgidson

It's still way harder to hit a curveball.

Do any of you remember Lasorda talking to Jim Rome, way back in the day about the difference b/t golf and baseball? I hate Tommy Lasorda, but it was one of the best, funniest, things I've ever heard.

rockbox likes this.
  11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Jumping rope

I suck at it. Watching Sylvester Stallone do it in Rocky IV or whatever at 50 miles per hour...I’m just like “f••k off with that sh•t man”.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Is ballet a sport?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

For you?

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Triple Lindy.

droxford and boomboom like this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Hitting a two iron of the ground. I'm a borderline midget that at best was a strong 4.0 player and was capable of serving in the high 90's in my youth. So were lots of my friends. Pro golfers have a hard time with a 2 iron.

16. KingCheetah

This could be a winner.

17. KingCheetah

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Those pitches were like wiffle balls. Crazy.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Serving is easy, aim for 1 o’clock. It’s the same form as throwing a football.

I vote pole vaulting. Only because I’m too scared to try.

boomboom and Jayzers_100 like this.
  20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

nah, but was only half kidding, not sure why it popped in my mind when thinking of sports that are difficult. i'm another one that is good at most and great at none, golf being the hardest of the things i participate in... but ballet is probably more demanding than any "real" sport. i can't even fathom the amount of athleticism, agility, and balance required.