1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Singing his praises (too much?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Franchize3, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

Lord knows we love the big guy. And we love his song too. But must Compaq Center play the darn thing each and every time Yao does something with the ball? And if they are going to play it, must it be so loud and irritating? I mean, it sounds as if Ernie (of Bert and Ernie fame) is singing the tune when they play it.

IMHO, I think Yao plays better on the road because the song <b>isn't</b> playing. It likely distracts him, and since he's a precision-type player, it seems he's better able to concentrate on his game without it. Plus, he has to feel some pressure from hearing his name in a song over and over and over and over and over....

Anyone got a head-to-head on his home stats vs. his away stats for comparison?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Home games:
    14 points per game
    8.4 rebounds per game
    2.11 blocks per game
    .831 FT%

Road games:
    12.5 points per game
    7.8 rebounds per game
    1.73 blocks per game
    .742 FT%

He does shot .592 on the road compared to .524 at home, but other than that, better stats across the board at home...

YAO MING, YAO MING, YAO MING, YAO MING
    YAO MING
    YAO MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!

3. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

C'mon. These stas don't jive. Not with 20 in L.A. and 30 in Dallas (not unless your including those first few games where he scored donuts...which really shouldn't count).

4. A-Train

Spare us the prohibition 30's lingo. It's right there in black and white...

Since his breakout game against Dallas:

18 AT HOME against Washington
    27 AT HOME against San Antonio
    29 AT HOME against Indiana

He clearly feeds off the crowd's enthusiasm at home. I doubt that it distracts him, since they play it AFTER he makes a basket. Besides, you can't really blame the Rockets for wanting to milk their biggest cash cow right now. Plus, attendance is up...hmmm, wonder why? Ming is putting butts in the seats, so of course they're going to hype him any way they can...If you don't like the song, then watch the games at home.

5. hunt23

hunt23 Member

I also think the home crowd put pressure on the Rocket guards to pass the ball to Yao.

6. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

I believe once he gets used to the song, he will do just fine.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Personally, I really enjoy how the song pumps up the crowd, especially if he does soemthing good in the 2nd half of a tight game against a good team.

On the other hand, I'd be just as interested in a similar easy, catchy tune for the Rockets team as a whole, so whenever anybody does anything good in such situations, it can be played. Or at the very least, similar rifs for all of the starters/significant bench players. I betcha Chance would do it if the price was right!

8. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

It is 80% done and it ROCKS! It's not on the CD, nor has it been presented to the Rockets, but it will. I'll put it here first as always.

Chance

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

SWEET! Seriously man, I bet you could do this kind of stuff for a crapload of teams out there.

10. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

Okay A-Train. We can see you've never played a lick of organized b-ball in your life. Nevertheless, chew on this: You're playing for the RUSSIAN National Team, your guard passes you the ball. You shoot and score. The crowd goes wild, and the speakers start blaring: A-Hole...er...I mean, A-Train, A-Train, A-Train, A-Train!!!! (Yeah, right.)

The next time down the court, you get the ball again. Now be honest, you're thinking to yourself, "Should I show them I can score again? They want to hear the song again, right? Do I please the fans? Should I Pass? Dribble?" That's too many decisions to make. What would you be thinking with the ball A-Train? (you can only answer that question if you've played organized basketball.) Any idioit can tell you that being a crowd pleaser, you have extra pressure on you to perform.

That's my point. It might be a bit much on a rookie thousands of miles from his own country. I'm not bashing Yao or his song, so stop being so defensive. He's my favorite player. I just wish the song wasn't so damn LOUD. Get it?

11. wiredog

wiredog Member

That was even before the Yao Ming song. So therefore, no correlation.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Franchize is right. Everyone needs to refrain from cheering when Yao does something cool, ok? We don't want him to be caught up in the enthusiasm and try to make us cheer again by forcing something. This is probably doubly true for Francis and Mobley because they seem to be more the showman type anyway. :D

13. A-Train

WTF? You actually think that a dumb song is affecting what decisions Yao makes on the court? I don't need to have played organized hoops to realize that's a pretty r****ded statement. Gawd damn, every time a player makes a basket in Compaq Center, their name gets screamed over the PA system. You think that's affecting the decisions they make?

If you think it's too loud then fine, wear a pair of ear plugs to games, but don't go on some rant about his performance or game decisions being affected, because the numbers clearly show that's NOT the case.

...wait, I've just been informed that Compaq Center officials have forbidden every fan from cheering after Yao makes a shot, as it might disrupt his game performance...Any violaters will be asked to leave immediately...

14. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

While we're at it, let's play Jay Z's "Big Pimpin" or Master P's "I Did That" each time Steve or Cat scores (like we did last year).

You guys must be 12 years old or something. Geez.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, do some song for Karl Malone with a similar catchy refrain,

Karlaaaaa
    Karla Karla Karla
    Karlaa...Karlaa

It might not go over too well in Utah, but I'd sing it at the next Utah game.

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

A-train I agree with almost everything you said in this thread. But I didn't like it when you called that song dumb...I don't think Chance likes it either...:D

17. A-Train

Uhhh..did I say "dumb"?? Well, you see that's the newest hip hop lingo like "bad" meaning good and calling a girl "phat", even though she may be skinny.

In this case, "dumb" means "awesome"?

For example, heyparter is totally dumb when it comes to analyzing game film, and clutchcity.net is a really dumb website. :D

18. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

Oh, now I get it. Chance posts hear, so we have to like hearing his song every time Yao even thinks about getting the ball.

You guys are incredible. The song is wonderful. But not that often and loud. Nobody else innthe league does it. Shaq's "Superman" plays only after he's completely taken over the game...then its all the more appreciated.

But don't worry, nevermind me. I'll just continue to complain and use earplugs along with the other fans AT THE COMPAQ CENTER.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<blockquote><hr>Originally posted by A-Train
    WTF? You actually think that a dumb song is affecting what decisions Yao makes on the court? <hr></blockquote>Well, maybe not Yao, but you could ask Sura about us playing the Real Slim Shady over the PA....hehe

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol!