1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Since leaving Phoenix, D'Antoni's record is almost 40 games under .500

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ApuN, May 26, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So you are just going to lie?

Rocket River

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Didn't the Knicks immediately go deeper in the playoffs with a top 5 defense after D'Antoni left and Woodson took over?

1 person likes this.
  3. therox3

therox3 Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/t...kets-reportedly-hiring-mike-dantoni-as-coach/

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah but........

....I got nothing.

5. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

This is a terrible pick as far as getting a head coach. I bet James Harden is just eating this up. The rockets organization ought to be ashame of themselves for making this pic. This pick tells me they don't give a damn about the fans.

6. ApuN

ApuN Member

LE$ dont give a damn about the fans

Hes always wanted Mike "No D"-'Antoni since the Van Gundy days because he believes offense fills seats which in turn, fills his pockets

7. MistaK

MistaK Member

Mark Jackson coached GS for 3 seasons I believe and they made the playoffs the last two seasons, making it to the second round of the playoffs once. So no they weren't a lotto team.

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Knicks had a top 5 (or close to) defense before Mike resigned. Woodson solidified the defense when he was hired. The problem was Melo not buying into the offense.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never put Pringles and Defense next to each other, or those terms in one sentence.

They do not belong until he earns it.

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Really not understanding the 'he coached ***** teams apart from Phoenix' defense for D'Antoni.

He's about to coach another ***** team as well.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He was not head coach for Philly right?

DD

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Since leaving "Steve Nash", D'Antoni's record is almost 40 games under .500

Fixed.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Should we call him Mike O'Antoni.

The prevalent D in his name couldn't be more ironic.

14. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

The only positive thing I'll have to say about MDA...

His first season with the Lakers they finished 28-12 which is a very solid run of basketball. Meaning he started 12-20 which is terrible. If we look back at that roster it honestly wasn't too great after 3 of the 4 major players flopped by either being injured or misused. If we go off the bold record and size it up to a 82 game season then it would be somewhere between 54-58 wins if it remained constant which honestly isn't too bad. That team was top 10 in offense, but obviously it was also a bottom 10 team defensively.

All the other seasons though..... those teams were so bad you can't ignore them.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You guys are intentionally ignoring a key point: the Rockets made it a point to publicly and privately insist that defense will not be overlooked and a top top notch defensive assistant will be hired.

D'Antoni has, essentially, been warned not to ignore defense before he started. I'd speculate that there was or will be a discussion about how other teams (Warriors for example) merged his offensive system with analytics in order to evolve it. He has been on Team USA around great coaches. He has coached in Philly under a very capable defensive coach and he has felt what it means to be a top assistant, and he will be better equipped to make use of HIS defensive assistant now.

He was actually there when his Lakers and Knicks teams tanked and no one wanted him again for years, except as assistant. There are harsh lessons there to learn.

This is apparently his last coaching stop, he is going to do his best and use all the tools at his disposal.

Listen, the guy wasn't even in my top 5 preferred candidates, but the drama is too much and you guys are childishly spurring each other on. Let's have some reasonable discussion and seek out some info about how this is all going to play out - and I don't mean by just extrapolating his last head coaching stop to our team's future lol.

Since Morey has been here, every coach we've had has done better than expected and that tells me they are getting to a place where they're not shoving stats down coaches' throats, rather they're learning more and more how to marry analytics and coaching to our benefit. This is the best support structure D'Antoni has ever had and Harden is arguably the best player D'Antoni has ever had at the start of a head coaching stop. Give it a freaking chance.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

17. ApuN

ApuN Member

Pretty soon you are what you are record says you are

As soon as he left the Knicks because they were heading into one of their worst seasons in years, they ended up with their best season in like 17 years under Woodson

He goes to the Lakers and then he leaves them with their worst season since the 50's.

Hes a bad hire, a bad retread, and there is no reason to believe the Rockets are going to be any better

1 person likes this.
  18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Since leaving the Rockets both Kevin McHale and JVG haven't won a single game. Yowza!

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Pringles?

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

When your top player doesn't buy into your ideas, the team is going to be real crappy. Considering you saw that first hand (Dwight's persistence to posting up despite blowing at FT's) can quickly tank a team's potential. Dwight as a serious PnR player is still scary dangerous even today. If he could only pull his head out of his ass and realize this, he could easily go back to being a 20/10 player IMO. Now that said, I don't like Pringles at all so I hate this trade. It's just important to keep an open mind about things and try not to let yourself get TOO blinded.