1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simple Yay or Nay: Where Do You Stand on Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Dec 12, 2006.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Wasn't his fault - Brady threw a perfectly placed ball that dropped it right into his hands which (as all Texans fans know from past experience) was the wrong place for Gaffney to try to catch it. :cool:

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Every national media talking head, when they mention him, says get David Carr an O-line and a running game... and beef up the defense, and he'd be alright.

I know it is hard to see through the fog of 4 INT's etc... but man... he's one guy.

I wish he'd stay here and break out next season (I thought this was the year), but he may need to plop down in Minnesota or somewhere and start anew.

I say "Yay" if he had a supporting cast.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I won't be surprised if this is the case for David Carr. However, it will not be here. He has two more starts as a Texan, IMO.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think a looming issue here goes beyond whether he has the tools to produce. If the fans, coaches, and his teammates have given up on him, how can he realistically succeed? Both sides need a fresh start.

I can easily see him turning things around, but I have a tough time seeing it happen here.

Evan

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know how you could have watched yesterday's game and still feel that way. For the 3rd straight game there has been a good running game. The defense got "credit" for giving up 40 points after Carr handed them the ball 4 times. The offensive line looked particularly good in the 2nd half...still Carr threw two awful, awful interceptions. He missed on those and he missed on a few others that are inexcusable (including an inexplicable 6 yard hot read slant pass on a 3rd and 18 play..with no pressure, he threw that 6 yard pass in the dirt). He fumbled again, keeping up his sweet ratio of nearly one fumble per game. Bottom line: he's being paid as a franchise caliber QB to make plays...and he's not making plays.

I really don't think there's even an argument for this anymore. How he's arrived here is up for debate. But he is where he is right now. Blame the Texans...blame him...all of that is hindsight. He looks confused out there way too often. Cover 2 and man-to-man coverage shouldn't be this confusing.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/is_there_a_quarterback_in_the_1.html

You also know he threw a career-high four interceptions and has only one touchdown pass in their last eight games. He was sacked four times, including three in the second quarter. But on three of his interceptions, he had good protection. On the first one, defensive end Richard Seymour batted the ball into the air and caught it as it came down.

I actually feel bad for Carr. He's a great guy, tough as nails, has a lot of ability and can move, but he needs a new address in the offseason. We can blame the pass protection all we want, but poor blocking wasn't a factor in the interceptions today. Nor was it a factor in running across the line of scrimmage and throwing the ball two times last week against the Titans.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i can't remember the last time DC threw a ball in the middle of the field for more than 10 yards...and that's before YAC. Texans forever, but DC's got to go.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ive tried to support Carr and thought he had an above average arm when he got into the NFL but my opinion has changed. He cant throw the deep ball with precision at all. I feel like we should go in another direction after seeing guys like Breese and Romo do so well. Even Kyle Boller threw a great long ball this past Sunday.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've become the last person to defend David Carr, but some of the lack of long passes has to fall on the receivers, specifically Andre Johnson. He looks lost on long routes. He'll pull up when he should run all out and run all out when the ball is a little short.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

40+ folks wanna see Carr back as starting QB.

incredible.

10. MadMax

i wonder if that number would be smaller assuming that poll were started today

11. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Tim Couch's first 5 years:

1999: 223-399 (55.9%), 2,447 yards, 15 TDs, 13 INTs (2-14 record)
    2000: 137-215 (63.7%), 1,483 yards, 7 TDs, 9 INTs (3-13 record)
    2001: 272-454 (59.9%), 3,040 yards, 17 TDs, 21 INTs (7-9 record)
    2002: 273-443 (61.6%), 2,842 yards, 18 TDs, 18 INTs (9-7 record)
    2003: 120-203 (59.1%), 1,319 yards, 7 TDs, 6 INTs (5-11 record)
    (26-54 overall record)

David Car's first 5 years (to date):

2002: 233-444 (52.5%), 2,592 yards, 9 TDs, 15 INTs (4-12 record)
    2003: 167-295 (56.6%), 2,013 yards, 9 TDs, 13 INTs (5-11 record)
    2004: 285-466 (61.2%), 3,531 yards, 16 TDs, 14 INTs (7-9 record)
    2005: 256-423 (60.5%), 2,488 yards, 14 TDs, 11 INTs (2-14 record)
    2006*: 277-404 (68.6%), 2,518 yards, 10 TDs, 11 INTs (4-10 record)
    (22-56 record so far)

*through 14 games

It's interesting to compare the stats of the two, who were both #1 picks for a franchise just getting off the ground. They seem somewhat similar. What's fascinating is that Tim Couch was run out of Cleveland after the 2003 season (his 5th with the team), and it looks like David Carr may experience a similar fate.

12. MadMax

The tearjerker:

My 6 year old son came to grips with the fact his favorite all-time football player, David Carr, will likely not be on his favorite team next year.

I asked him who we could get.

He thought for a moment...and then smiled and said: "What about that guy from Notre Dame??!! I love those Irish green jerseys!"

:D

That kid is a real Texan fan. The rest of you are faking. He was 2 years old loving on the Texans.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Except in Couch's case the coaching staff had the balls to put in journeyman Kelly Holcombe when Couch wasn't playing well

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Both had Chris Palmer on their staff, too. (Watch out, Tony Romo! He's a QB Killah!)

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well the problem is Sage got hurt and Van Pelt has been out of the league.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

They said in Sunday's Philly/NY game that the only two teams in the offseason to talk with Jeff Garcia were the Texans and the Eagles...

Way to miss a free agent as well there Reeves/Casserly/Kubes/whoever. :rolleyes:

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Garcia chose to play for the Eagles and I, for one, can't blame him one bit. I mean if you had a choice between the Eagles and the Texans, which team would YOU pick?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Judging by the poll it looks like Carr is done in Houston.....

Did you guys see the quotes where he said that he was not worried and basically it was only a football game. He had visited cancer patients and other more important life issues....(paraphrasing here)....basically blew off the Titans loss by saying it was only a game.

It was in the Austin American Statesman.

DD

19. MadMax

I heard him on the radio yesterday. Saw his press conference after the game. He's not blowing anything off. He's fighting to keep perspective as public enemy #1 in his home town. He looks beaten down.

And I don't think this poll will be the determining factor in offseason decisions, DaDa! :)

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

honestly, i don't think there's anything carr could say at this point that would appease very many people. try and sprinkle in some perspective, and he doesn't look committed. try and fire up the troops, and he'll be laughed at. it's a no-win situation; plus, i doubt he's oblivious to the writing on the wall... he knows the end is near.

frankly, he's handled everything off the field with class. he's never pointed a finger when he certainly could have, never ducked blame when things broke down around him, never got into any kind of trouble off the field... it's a shame what's happened to him here; i will go to my grave believing the team absolutely, positively ruined him beyond repair.

mcnair, casserly, capers and palmer abandoned the guy; it's a shame his career will end while they continue drawing paychecks (granted, he's been well-compensated, but i've never sense he was merely cashing a paycheck), paying little to no cost for what they did (well, i guess mcnair's getting a plate full of karma, but he's the least objectionable of the bunch). it disgusts me...