1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simple Yay or Nay: Where Do You Stand on Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Dec 12, 2006.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

That is what I was trying to say.
    Thankyou

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

isn't he admitting this just by asking the question...? do you think the patriots asked around the league for thoughts on tom brady before extending him?

let me ask you a question: how would YOU have evaluated carr "properly" last winter? i'm curious... throw out 2006 - what would you conclusion have been after last year, his 4th in the league? bear in mind: DD missed 5 games and AJ missed 3.

go ahead: play coaching candidate... what would you have told bob mcnair?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

let my people go. ;)

4. updawg

updawg Member

I'll play.

I would have told McNair that I was chomping at the bit at the prospect of drafting Vince #1.
    I would have said I wouldn't want to extend Carr 3 years, I would rather look at other options if the above wasn't done.

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

excuse-o-meter now registering a 8.9

According to you Ric, these guys are not playmakers anyway.

6. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

This just shows that MONUMENTAL mistakes like this are a product of an entire organization's ineptitude and stupidity .... and, of course, it started with the owner.

Asking coaches who are interviewing for a job if you can win with Carr is not the same as asking for an honest evaluation of him as a QB. It's the same as asking "If Carr was on your team, can you still win a superbowl?" In the context of a job interview, it's asking about the coaching candidate's ability to win, and it leads the candidate to assume you have to do it with CARR.

Unprejudiced questions would be: "What would you do as a coach to turn this team around ... please identify the problems you see and what steps you would take to fix them. We have the 1st pick in the draft. Who would you pick and why?"

If he was really interested in an honest evaluation of Carr, he didn't have to ask guys who're trying to land a job - their responses can be prejudiced by their desire to get the job. He could've anonymously surveyed all the GM's, Coaches, and players in the league, have them rank or rate all the starting QB's. He could have them rated based on current performance and/or future potential, then he could see where Carr lies relative to his peers and whether he's worth the 3 yr extension.

It seems McNair was more interested in keeping David Carr than doing the proverbial "whatever it takes" to build a champion. I suspected this was the case, and McNair's comments confirm it. Spin it all you want, Bob. You ain't foolin' anybody. Vince Young loudly, proudly took ownership of your house ... and David Carr didn't want the ball.
    :mad:

7. updawg

updawg Member

Yep

This offseason will be interesting to see how they spin it

8. Major

Major Member

Well, clearly McNair knows nothing if he thinks an intangible like leadership actually exists.

9. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

It will be just as transparent as this garbage from McNair. The bottom line is you really can't spin LOSING. So the more this bull sh!ts, the more it stinks. And after five years of the stench, they want people to continue holding their breaths, ignore the smell .... Smart people would just rather leave the room.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But no one thought they'd win this year. 99% of those who follow the Texans predicted between 4-6 wins this season. Considering the fact that four out of their last five losses have been within one score, the fact that the team is competitive despite its obvious flaws should be something to hang your hat on as a Texans fan given the expectations coming into the season.

11. updawg

updawg Member

Awesome.
    So prepare the fans for another crappy year next year and they won't complain :rolleyes:

12. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

You're oversimplifying this. If expected won/loss record is all it takes to make people happy then why the hell is everybody so damn angry and dissatisfied especially at David Carr (look at the poll results)? It's about HOW they're losing and how this is not giving much hope to the future.

13. Hey Now!

being productive and being playmakers are two entirely different things.

but here’s why I mentioned it:
    carr’s 7-game pace to start the ’04 season was simply phenomenal. i know the lazy contention is that he has unequivocally sucked for 4 straight years, but that’s not true at all. he was what you expected the first two years (especially on an expansion team – oh, sorry – that’s an excuse, right?) and then he, right on schedule, shot out of a cannon to start his 3rd year. people forget, the texans were four devastating domanick davis fumbles away from starting that year 2-0 and 6-1 overall those first 7 games.

do these #s sound good to you: 315/501, 4,505, 21/11. bear in mind, once brees crosses 4,500 this year, he’ll be one of only six QBs to throw for 4,500+ yards since 2000. yeah, well that was carr’s pace in ’04.

and then a 24-game stretch followed that ranged from very bad to average with 4 exceptional standouts mixed in. how is it possible a QB naturally ascending to greatness his first 2.5 years suddenly regresses over a year and a half? did he absolutely, positively lose it? was he playing hurt? did the coaches somehow change things and knock him off course…?

i don’t have an answer. but is it making excuses to point out that your leading rusher and receiver missed a combined 9 of those 24 games? i’m not weighing in on one side or the other, but i’d certainly lean to that explanation ahead of “he simply lost it overnight” wouldn’t you if you were bob mcnair trying to figure out if your QB was worth an $8M extension?

14. updawg

updawg Member

my theory is he got shellshocked from being hurried and sacked all the time. Now, due to the previous ineptitude he is damaged goods. Its a shame really. Thats why I think its better to let him go somewhere else and start fresh and for obivious reasons the Texans to start fresh

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

John McLain is on 610 right now:

1. Dan Reeves said on Sirius radio this last week that he told the Texans they should take VY;

2. Said that all the candidates were asked, "can David Carr be the QB of the winning team in a Super Bowl?" but said it was kind of a loaded question, because everyone who interviewed understood that the franchise really wanted to keep David Carr. so to say, "no" would be really going against the guys who you're interviewing with for a job.

16. Hey Now!

good god, bob - you couldn't have slipped an extra $50k into reeves pocket to keep his motuh shut.....? yikes.

oh well, win and it will heal every single wound.

17. updawg

updawg Member

And casserly was not giving input, he was a lame duck with no input. Therefore it all points to McNair. He needs to stand up for Carr if thats his intention, not cool leaving him hanging out there. Just tell everyone he's your guy and you're sticking with him

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not oversimplifying anything. I'm simply trying to point out that a) the Texans are right where 99% of their fans thought they'd be record-wise before the season and b) despite below average play from David Carr most of the season, the absence of a running game for most of the season, and below average games by our defense at times this season, we were within one score in four of our last five losses. You can point to a couple plays in each game that had they gone the other way, they would be 8-5 right now.

I'm not saying they're an 8-5 team by any stretch, but people act like this franchise has no future and will forever be a laughingstock because they passed on one guy. It's simply not true.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, he's not allowed to change his mind?

20. updawg

updawg Member

its his team, if he wants Carr he can stick with Carr. I'm just saying that if he's trying to portray this hands off, leave it to the football guys type of ownership hes being very deceptive. Its not fair to Carr. If he intends to stick with him, make it known so that people will deal with it.