1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simple Yay or Nay: Where Do You Stand on Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Dec 12, 2006.

1. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

LOL!!! No really I think by 2010 he should REALLY be seasoned at his craft by then. Hilarious! If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck ... guess what? It's a duck! :D

It will be absolutely useless for the Texans to keep him, not to mention ticket sales will dwindle in the offseason because of it! McNair has to know that dog wont hunt this year! :p

Anyone that was at the Titans game would have to be deaf, dumb and blind to not see that Carr doesnt have many friends in the stands or on the field.

2. updawg

updawg Member

well we are talking about the texans.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

790 am just had some excerpts from Bob McNair talking about Carr and passing up on VY.

McNair said that he thinks Carr is improving and it's hard to evaluate him without giving him the proper weapons. He still needs a runningback and better line protection.

McNair interviewed 7 coaches and 6 of them said that they could go to the Super Bowl with Carr. One of them said that if they drafted Vince Young he would not take the job because it would take too long to develop him.

Barf. :rolleyes:

I swear to God if this team brings back Carr next year as their starter I will not watch a game next season.

4. updawg

updawg Member

good idea to a few, bad idea to many

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wait...were these recent comments by mcnair?? or ones from last year around draft time???

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

He's had his chance...get him outa here...

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Yeah I agree. They are both HORRIBLE excuses for franchise players (on both sides of the ball) :eek: :p

Texans still have hope.. the Draft! :D

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He just said these today. He also said that letting Aaron Glenn and Jamie Sharper go were mistakes because they missed their veteran leadership. He also said that only picking up players under 30 at the beginning was also a mistake.

Too bad he can't admit to the QB mistake.

9. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I believe in David Carr.

10. twoface723

twoface723 Member

I agree...

11. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Just the mere thought of this, makes me want to put flypaper on my testicles because at least THAT pain would eventually subside but, the ridicule and the guffaws we will get nationally will make me want to dig a 20 ft hole instead of watching the Texans. :rolleyes: Please Bob listen to reason, when Gary says he needs to go, he needs to GO! Let him start fresh elsewhere as well as us. That would be the most humane thing to do for Carr's career. Yes, it's not all his fault where we are but ... se la vie!

12. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

If that is true McNair said that I just either lost a lot of confidence in McNair for being that near sighted.
    Or I lost a lot of confidence in the 7 coaches for being that incompetent.

To say that David Carr can take the team to the Super Bowl is what I would call 'no answer at all'. It is like saying we will win the war in Iraq. That is really not an answer. Tell me just how we are going to win the war in Iraq, be specific.

To express 'YES' Carr can take us to the Super Bowl is the same as saying he gives us the best opportunity.

If the question was is he our biggest problem- the answer would be no
    If the question was is he serviceable- the answer would be yes
    If the question was is he good enough for us to pass on Young- the answer should have been No Way!

I think McNair is basically saying - the reason we didn't draft Young is because all the experts told me it was a bad decision.

Did anyone in the NFL besides Floyd Reese watch VY play in college????

I was almost getting over this. :eek:

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why would someone you were INTERVIEWING for a job tell you they couldn't succeed with players YOU picked?

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

so you'd lie just to get the job even though you knew full-well you'd then fail miserably?

they could have walked away scott-free from david carr in february; they had a franchise-level gaggle of QBs available in the draft and the first pick in said draft... there was no reason whatsoever to tie your career to david carr if you didn't sincerely believe in both his and your ability. it's career suicide.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

When all is said and done, that may very well be exactly what Gary Kubiak ends up doing. If he continues to hitch his future to David Carr and Carr continues failing to show improvement, then it's Adios for Kubiak as a head coach. No need to worry about David because he'll still get paid no matter what.

16. rhester

I don't feel anyone felt like they were tying their career to David. I think that is overblown that McNair felt like the big issue was who could make Carr a great QB.
    I am sure the Carr issue was only a part of the interview process and hiring criteria.

There is a reason to tell McNair yes to Carr- if you feel what Mr. McNair really wants is someone who can help Carr become a great QB and you think you can do it.

You see what bothers me is McNair knows that he is defending not picking Young. But in the coaching interview process I doubt most of the coaches looked at it that way. The issue of Carr and the draft were probably not connected. If you are asking if Carr can take this team to a Super Bowl that doesn't have to relate to the #1 pick at all- Geeze you could ask that about Andre Johnson, Duante Robinson, CC Brown, Steve McKinney... etc. I mean if McNair wasn't sure if Carr could take the team to the Super Bowl and he wanted to draft based upon that doubt he should have framed his question this way- " I'm not convinced David Carr can take this team to the Super Bowl, would drafting one of the young QB's give us a better chance?" That would have set up a proper evaluation of Carr, Young and Leinhart in the mind of the coach and they wouldn't even be thinking along the lines that McNair was LOOKING for a coach to turn Carr around.

Carr has the physical tools, so most coaches would answer yes I can make him a winner.

This does not evaluate the #1 draft pick objectively since the real issue is not who would be the best pick for the team but can I as a coach make Carr into a winner.

I can envision Kubiak looking at tape of Carr and thinking he can easily be as good or better than Plumber or I can take that skill set and win with it. Kubiak may still feel this way, but that is not the same as evaluating Carr based on the opportunity to draft either Young or Leinhart.

When I looked at the draft I felt their was not one position on the team that didn't need upgrading if there was a sure fire no brainer pick sitting there.

The media all saw Bush as that no brainer can't miss pick.
    I saw it as Young.
    I don't know of anyone who considered it to be Mario.

If Bush had been the only runner at USC and carried the load 20-25 rushes/game and broke some tackles running inside in tight spaces I would have been all over drafting him over Young. He would have been the sure fire no brainer pick.

I still find it hard to believe that the Texan brain trust evaluated Young's college performance and did not think he would have a greater impact than Mario on the team's performance on the field. If they were that high on Carr than why did McNair even have to ask that question. I mean if the owner in not certain about his QB why didn't the rest of the organization realize that they may have to make a change at that position and take a look at the unusual opportunity to rebuild the team around a much better QB.

When Carr was drafted McNair said himself we want to build around a franchise QB.

OK- I'm good with that- so Carr obviously hadn't panned out, there were two really nice ones available. The team needed a total rebuild- they just finished 2-14 after 5 yrs in the league.

Looks to me like McNair really wants someone to turn Carr around and I hope someone does.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

the big issue was whether or not mcnair was going to extend carr, the $8M piece of this puzzle you conveniently failed to mention. when you make a committment of that magnitude to a player, you don't turn around two months later and then spend $26M on another QB.

so, yes, the biggest issue was carr, and yes, it impacted what you were going to do with the 1st pick. i mean, if carr wasn't the biggest issue, why didn't they interview any defensive-minded coaches?

18. updawg

updawg Member

I guess you're like me and keep forgetting that Carr hasn't had the weapons around him to succeed. Maybe next year :rolleyes:

19. rhester

I understand the issue of the extension. I understand the issue of evaluating Carr based upon the extension and I understand not drafting a QB AFTER the extension.

But if you are telling me that all the coaches interviewed thought Carr was a better prospect that Young or Leinhart I would think that would depend on how the question was asked.

In other words if McNair had doubts that Carr could take the team to a Super Bowl he should have expressed his DOUBTS and asked for an evaluation of Carr, Young and Leinhart. That way the coach has no bias in how he evaluates and answers.

If the question was framed so that the coach was asked if he (the coach) could take the team to the Super Bowl with Carr, I think the coach is making a decision about himself- anyways most coaches aren't going to shoot the QB until they can first work with the QB.

The only way McNair can say he was persuaded to keep David rather than draft Young or Leinhart is if he demonstrated to the coaches that he had doubts about Carr. We don't know if he did this.

If he didn't express any doubts about Carr then the coach has to assume he is being asked if he can win with Carr and that is more a question of his own coaching ability and confidence than an evaluation of Carr, Young and Leinhart.

I don't like McNair defending not drafting Young because coaches convinced him not to do it. I would rather think the coaches convinced him they could win with Carr and that would give them the opportunity to fill another need.

I think that was a mistake in judgment on McNair's part. I think if he would have evaluated Carr properly he would have seriously considered drafting Young or Leinhart.

I am probably wrong. The Texans may think Carr is the next Tom Brady.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think the question, "can he win a super bowl" is the wrong question to ask.

Trent Dilfer can win a super bowl as long as one of the greatest defenses of all time is lined up alongside him. but that doesn't speak much to his relative worth at that position.