1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simple Question: Do you want the playoffs or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 6, 2016.

?

Do you want the Rockets to make the playoffs?

1. YES, forget the first round pick

172 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. NO, I prefer the lottery pick

371 vote(s)
    68.3%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No leadership up and down this organization from the front office to the bench to the floor, a complete lack of competent leadership.

DD

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets answered whether they wanted the playoffs or not.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I wanted the playoffs the team wanted to open a can of quit.

Losing at home, injury free to one of the worst teams in the league to knock you out of the playoffs.

DISGRACEFUL

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm trying not to get too excited because it's still possible that we make the playoffs.

5. dje243

dje243 Member

For probably 3-4 months I've been hoping three things would happen:

1. The rockets would miss the playoffs and secure a draft pick. They clearly had no shot at contention. Plus, making the playoffs might have convinced delusional players and staff that everything was ok. To truly contend big changes are needed and I don't know if anything short of complete failure would shake some life and purpose into this organization. No more cute stuff.

2. Young players on cheap contracts would show flashes of being competent role players.

3. D-Mo would play well enough coming off his injury to consider keeping around but not well enough to get a giant contract offer this off season. I 100% believe he will return to last season's form and even improve. He's self aware, unselfish, and has a great work ethic. Keeping him around at a reasonable price should be plan B if two max level free agents aren't on the table.

All 3 of these things have happened and while I can't say I'm happy with the season, if this team needs an overhaul to win, then let's not beat around the bush. Keep Harden, Beasley, Capela, DMO, Beverley, KJ, Harrell, and Ariza. Do whatever is needed to dump the rest. If Durant/Horford isn't coming move to the next guys on your list quickly. Time to stop swinging for the fences and get guys on base.

6. TheresTheDagger

Not that it matters anymore after tonights debacle....

But even if the team could somehow slide into the playoffs, not only would I not watch it, I would be embarrassed this team represents me as a fan and the city of Houston.

I simply can't support a team full of me first players, quitters, and malcontents who have never really understood the idea behind "work ethic".

7. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

For the past couple of months - I would have always voted YES, you play to make the playoffs.

But, now, after these last two losses - to the Mavs and Suns - I have to vote NO. This team is awful. The chemistry is awful. I don't even think they like each other.

Just lose out and end the misery. We don't need to watch this awful mess in the postseason.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I guess the question has been answered.

9. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Yes, I want the playoffs.

But I don't want the Rockets playing in them this year.

10. White Bronco

White Bronco Member

With Morey drafting, does it matter?

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

think?

12. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

I want us to make the playoffs.

What will happen if we got a lottery pick? when was the last morey pick that stayed?

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I agree man, but you also have to think about the direction of this team. Its in the prep phase for gutting, it will be pruned down to the core after Howard leaves and will be rebuilt around Harden most likely. FA will be tough, and the draft is our best way (as unlikely as it is that we will get a star). It may be a 2% chance given Morey's drafting, but its better than a 100% first round sweep. besides, do these guys look like they want to make the playoffs? There is no hunger or desire. The brooks/lowry/dragic teams barely missed the post season but wanted it so badly.

14. dawesome

dawesome Member

Its silly to hope your beloved team to miss the playoff. Im still hoping some miracle happens and we sneak in. However, regardless how far we go in the playoff (if..), this team needs new direction. I personally see that our coach is a little too junior to handle professional players, not to mention superstars.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Even if the chance of the pick turning out to be a serviceable player is low, it's still better than getting slaughtered by GSW.
    Some people say we need to reach the playoffs to lure big players in FA, but do you really think players would want to join after a healthy Rockets team gets slaughtered by a 20pts average and displays its abysmal chemistry, blatant flaws and lack of any system on the national stage?

Also don't think the morale would get any better if we were swept in historical fashion.

Would much rather see us draft a potential new starting or backup PG/PF, no matter how little the chance.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't mind any of these scenarios:

- Making the playoffs and winning.
    - Making the playoffs and getting swept in a historically bad way.
    - Not making the playoffs and getting the pick.

The only scenario I don't want is:

- Make the playoffs and lose the series while winning 1 or 2 or 3 games. This will be a loss + the players will thing they were right about some things. IF we lose, I want them to be crushed with their coach, and their offensive choices in a free offense and their defensive effort within their buddy coach's system, with James Harden dominating the ball, and Howard bringing it for 48 minutes, and Brewer playing serious minutes, and everyone generating steals.

Important to note, what I want is not necessarily what makes me happy. The only scenario that would make me happy is beating every and any opponent, especially the best teams. Unfortunately, since it became apparent that that's a tough possibility, I've had to think of the future and which non-winning scenario would benefit us more in the future.

#176 Mathloom, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  17. count_dough-ku

No doubt I'm terrified we'll squander yet another first rounder if Morey's the one picking the player. But I'd still rather have it than not. A #12 or #13 pick could be used to unload Brewer's awful contract. It could be packaged with other players to move up a couple spots. We can trade down in order to acquire a player. Or God forbid, we could keep it, select a player, having him actually pan out for once and keep him. Point is, you have flexibility(Morey's favorite word) with the pick. Without it, it's basically free agency or bust this summer in order to improve the roster.

18. dchoye

dchoye Member

Isn't this why we live and die for cheering our favorite teams? Even thought we probably have less than 1% chance of beating San Antonio or GSW IF we do make the playoffs
    There's still a chance. Why not try to go for it and go all out for the playoffs? We will see which players perform which give up.
    Playoffs are new life. Anything can happen.
    Non believers are quitters. Can't give the the championship to GSW. Make them earn it. If you are true Rockets fans then continue to root for them into the playoffs

19. count_dough-ku

Uh, no. Usually in the first round of the NBA playoffs, what happens is what's supposed to happen. Upsets by 7th or 8th seeds are extremely rare. The Rockets aren't a sub-.500 team by accident. They aren't ravaged by injuries. They have their current record because they're a terrible defensive team and an inconsistent offensive team(basically they go as Harden goes). That type of ballclub is not going to knock off the historically great Warriors and Spurs who BTW are also the last 2 NBA champions.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Rockets should just get it over with and forfeit their remaining schedule.</p>&mdash; Royce Young (@royceyoung) <a href="https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/718263606442336256">April 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>