1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simple Explanation: Scola In Causes Pat/Hill Regression

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Liberon, Mar 31, 2011.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You're crazy not to want Varejao. A healthy Varejao is exactly what we need in the paint. Him and Hayes working in conjuction with Patterson would drive teams batty and turn our defense into a top 10 defense overnight.

On another note, Scola's efficiency has really slipped the last couple months. I know he's been injured, but even before that, he was slipping. For Scola to be a positive on the court, he has to be very efficient offensively because his defense is so poor. So, at this point a Varejao for Scola trade would be a no-brainer for the Rockets. And I actually love Scola. But you gotta recognize what is going on out there on the court.

You gotta have monsters in the paint, at least 3 of them. And mark my words, this is the exact reason why Miami is not winning anything this year. They do not have big boys to man the paint.

1 person likes this.
  2. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

I kind of agree - Scola's defense has been exposed without Yao on the court since Yao clogged the paint effectively. And Patterson deserves to play mre minutes with the way he's been playing as of late. He is our only real shotblocking presence and that greatly improves our defense. Hill on the other hand is just too inconsistent for my book. I really appreciate what Scola does offensively but offense is not the problem - I wouldn't be against trading him in some sort of package that can bring back a defensive minded center i.e. Dalembert/Camby/Perkins even Nene (not as great defensively as the other 3 i named but still active enough and tall enough to make a difference in the paint.)

3. worzel gummidge

Philly got to the hoop easier with Hayes-Pat than Hayes-Scola.

Miami had good defensive bigs the past several years but couldn't be effective because no one in their frontcourt was over 6-9.

4. Prince

Prince Member

When Scola first started, we went to a 22win streak.

5. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Scola is a better shooter, rebounder, passer, and post scorer than Hill and PatPat combined. This is another trade scola thread with a different title.

6. diegot143

diegot143 Member

the sample size is too small to make these assumptions and think that these players like hill and patterson could do this night in and night out. Pat is a rookie and hill is inconsistent. Scola is proven not only is he proven to be consistent with what he does but he offers the passion, hard work, and team spirit that inspire the team to fight hard, something that you dont find in just anybody. The problem here is not Scola, the problem is that our 'super stars' have been made of glass and your looking for a scapegoat the seemingly expandable scola. But i say keep his fighting spirit let the young guys continue to learn and develop and bring in a good defensive center. If we can get super star some how then we do it, even if it takes trading scola. But the guy has to be a legitimate super star.

7. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Ummmm how do you think Hayes get 2-3 layups per game? And a double team that forces a rotation after the ball is kicked out opens up back door cuts. Finally, scola is the closest thing we got to a go to guy. Back door cuts are beautiful, but I'd rather have a beast on the block. Yao is a post player that commands a double team when healthy too. Should we get rid of him? PatPat and hill are very limited offensively. They would hurt us with big minutes. Hill even more so.

Their games suffer when scola is in because hill is not a great shooter and Patterson is not a great passer from the elbow. You gotta be able to do one or the other if scola is posting up. Until their post games are better than scola's, he should continue to demand the ball in the post.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That was with the league's best center on the floor.

Never say never, but that is something that isn't likely to happen again.

And Bud may be here longer than you think.

At least longer than Scola, that's for sure.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

If you start looking at our roster and keep saying "we can keep Martin, Scola, and [insert SF with bad defense here] as long as we have a top flight center (or Yao)" then you're setting yourself up for failure.

An elite center isn't just going to waltz through the door, guys.

We need to start building a more balanced team.

Scola is still worth something and we have Pat Pat waiting to explode, it makes sense all around.

10. diegot143

diegot143 Member

How can you be so sure pat pat can do this night in and night out. A mistake would be to rush a guy into a situation that may be negative for his career, just saying. We dont need an elite center we need a consistent big defensive center.

11. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Let's lay blame where it belongs. Yes we need an upgrde at center so chuck can resume play at his natural position. But.... Last night we weren't killed by layup after layup. We were killed by open jumper after open jumper. A defensive center allows the perimeter players to play up on their man a little tighter, but he won't help with blown/missed rotations. He won't stop us from turning the ball over or missing free throws. But that said, a few more blocked shots and rebounds would be a very welcomed addition tonthis team.

12. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Nobody cares about Yao's offense, it's his defense that this group needs and there's probably a half a dozen guys we could reasonably go after to fill that void.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Patterson might be one the best shooting PFs in the league right now.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I understand the point of this thread, but the delivery of it is just set up for criticism.

-We all understand that Patterson is the future. Is Scola standing in the way of his development....???... I dont know if that a question anyone can seriously answer, BUT....

-Patterson & Hayes together convinced me that the (not having a traditional center) post rotation problem, DEFENSIVELY, is more about Scola's deficiencies on defense than it is Chuck's height. Chuck is as effective as a post defender, as many of the mediocre and overpaid 7ft Centers in the league. Only truely 4 or 5 team's can simply overplay Chuck by height and length alone.

-However Scola is one of the better OFFENSIVE post players in the game. Boderline All-Star player. Its a catch 22 all the way. If Scola is the way you want to build this team going to the future, then you need not just one of the best post defenders in the game... you need four other players that are premier defensive players to make up for his deficiencies.

-If one thing is for certain... In order to be a good defensive team, you need not just one, but two good defensive post players. Or at least one good one, and one decent one. Most teams can hide one poor wing defender, but poor post defense is hard to mask.

-I believe Patterson's time will come and when he is ready he will make this team better in the starting lineup, but Scola is who the team has made the commitment to as the starter. Until he can be traded for equal or greater value, the Rockets are going to be an offensive minded team that has to rely on outscoring its opponents.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

All of our power forwards would be better with a big shot blocking center next to them. Until then, the Rockets defense can only be average without any rim protection.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Half dozen guys that have Yao's defensive presence inside?

Not likely.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Luis Scola/Patrick Patterson
    5. Anderson Varejao/Chuck Hayes

Is what we need to go for. Let Patrick develop into a stud for a year or two more behind Luis. This frontline is championship ready in my opinion. We need to find a way to give up one of, or a combination of our less important players and picks to snag Varejao.

Our backcourt is pretty much perfect, in my opinion. It would take a robbery for me to want to change it. I still believe that we need a huge upgrade at the SF along with a Varejao type to really become contenders.

I am still hoping that Terrence Williams can be that guy. :grin:

18. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

The problem is that he is also the centerpiece of the other teams offense. I love Scola, but this team is never going to be a contender with the way this guy plays defense. It's beyond bad and getting worse.

19. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

You are drinking some serious kool aid if you are being serious.

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

If I was morey I would get rid of Terrance williams because all he does is post stuff on twitter and nobody on the team can do those moves while being posted up by somebody like scola