1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simple Explanation: Scola In Causes Pat/Hill Regression

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Liberon, Mar 31, 2011.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I would love to see Anthony Randolph on this team!!! I think Morey should have given our #1 pick to NYfor him, instead of spending it on T Will. However, it's still early but I think we need a 6'10 or 6'11 forward who can score and block shots...Scola is only effective on one end of the court!

I think if the Rockets can bring in Thad Young next year or a similar player at the four spot and a shot blocking center, I think we can win 50 games. This team is not far off, they just need to get 2 or 3 more players in the starting lineup who can play bothe defense and offense. Oh yeah! And bring back RA.:grin:

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Clipper's management = Timberwolves.. We can convince imbeciles much better than teams with management of normal intelligence. Blake Griffin is looking to want gtfo of there asap.. And I do not want "The Hills Have Eyes" Kaman. This move is for D'Andre Jordan as Griffin is just a pipe dream.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think it makes sense to move Scola. Love the guy, his hustle, his offense, the way the tango is being taught to other players but he is getting older and he plays bad defense. I dont think he is going to get better, only worse, more injured, etc. He has tremendous value right now and I think it would be in our best interest in the long term to move him now and slide Hayes back to the four.

I'd pick up the phone and offer Scola/Budinger for Danny Granger and then try and pick up Chandler in the offseason.

Lowry
    Martin
    Granger
    Hayes
    Chandler

looks strong offensively and defensively to me.

4. Rockets_4_life

Well the only contending team that needs a PF of Scola's caliber is Orlando. But they don't have anything 'realistic' to give. Unless people would be interested in former lottery pick, Earl Clark, 6'10 SF.

Maybe Earl Clark and a multitude of 1st round picks. Trading Scola would have to pretty much be another addition by subtraction move.

5. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

What is a pipe dream? Griffin's stuck on the Clippers the next couple years whether he likes it or not. The Clippers don't want a significant long-term contract for a guy who's barely going to get burn behind Blake Griffin.

I'm fine with moving anyone on our team if it makes us better, but the only teams that would possibly want Scola are contending teams who need an upgrade at the 4. The only ones I can think of are possibly OKC (Scola is better than Ibaka and Perkins can cover for his defensive weaknesses) or maybe NJ who's trying to build a contender around Deron (too bad everything on NJ's roster is crap but Deron).

Sorry, I just don't think it's worth it to get rid of Scola in a salary dump. Put a defensive 7 foot center (which we need anyway) next to Scola and Scola's weaknesses won't be as much of an issue.

6. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Yeah, I forgot Orlando. I don't know much about Earl Clark.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

They budge Lopez and I pull the trigger on the swap.. We need to take back some more as well... Lopez and what else?

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

tell me who will be gotten rid of earlier by rox, scola or ra?

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You know to get that defensive 7 footer you need to part with something "with high value" for it to be conceivable by all parties involved. If we could get that defensive 7fter without losing Scola do you think most would agree for such a scenario? It's the fact that the only thing of value without hurting this team too much is Scola... Martin will / Lowry and others will pick up the scoring easily and do it better when we got a post threat that can go to the rim and score and defense that sparks fast breaks for our guys.

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

11. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Yes, I would agree to that scenario, the problem is getting another team to part with a starting caliber 7 foot center. NJ won't give us Lopez, because they'd be stuck with starting Johan freakin' Petro. Suns won't give us Gortat because they'd be stuck with starting Robin Lopez, who has regressed horribly this season. Splitter is another option, but I just don't see it happening when Duncan will retire soon and Blair is only 6'7''.

When I said put a 7 foot defensive center next to Scola, I meant trying for one in free agency, or maybe trading one of our young players for Varejao.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I don't think I want Varejao, all I've seen this past season and some of last is him in a suit on the bench. I can say he's doesn't block shots and can't score in the post.. Pretty much has some defense but not enough.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Varejao is a difference maker defensively.

He is like Hayes, nobody understands how valuable he is.

I hate the guy, but I would take him on my team in a nano second.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

Same. I wouldn't mind trading the 13th or 14th pick for him. Especially in a weak draft, I just don't know if we could use a trade exception.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I know for sure one thing that has regressed. Our defense. As for Scola playing large moniutes? He is vital to our success in some games. Patterson and Hill probably do regress a little with less minutes. Every player does almost.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

To sum up this thread is, what I see happening in the paint with Scola back in the mix is not as it were when he was out. I really thought our team was on to something. Patterson was ready to take over and offer what Scola couldn't defensively and Hayes seemed to stump the premiere bigs like it was all in a days work on a regular basis. Chuck got a triple double and Hill was playing competent as a post threat in short stretches more consistently. That type of play was the only chance we had of winning enough games in route to a Playoff run with Patterson and Hill on track to put in work against whoever we were up against in a 7 game series. Notice how with Scola back in that pretty much ended? The light bulb was just dimly lit but never became fully lit. Do you understand what I mean?

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Funny how Varajeo and Lebron get called every name outlawed by Moses but when we think we can get him, its all systems go!!!.....Dont want Varajeo ...Does the same thing Chuck Hayes does..If he is the defensive stopper you crave, Lord we in trouble!!!!!

18. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Agreed. Legit size, all-defensive team, good rebounder. And we wouldn't have to break the bank to get him since Cleveland isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

But does he block shots much less get put back dunks?

20. seeingred

seeingred Member