1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simmons suspended

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Amel, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Bill Simmons suspended by ESPN after rant calling Roger Goodell a 'liar' over Ray Rice tape

ESPN answered Bill Simmons' dare.

After Simmons called NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a liar on his podcast, and then dared anyone at ESPN to get him in trouble for it, the network has suspended the columnist for three weeks.

“Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”

Simmons' comments came during a taping of his podcast, The B.S. Report, when the subject of Goodell's press conference regarding the Ray Rice suspension came up.

"If he didn't know what was on that tape, he's a liar. I'm just saying it. He is lying. I think that dude is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test, that guy would fail. And for all these people to pretend they didn't know is such [bleeping bleep]. It really is, it's such [bleeping bleep]." For him to go into that press conference and pretend otherwise, I was so insulted."

After the rant, he dared ESPN to suspend him -- a dare his employers met.

"I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I'm in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I'm going public. You leave me alone. ... Please, call me and say I'm in trouble, I dare you."

You can listen to the full rant here.
    http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/...ll_a_liar_when_it_comes_to_ray_rice_tape.html

2. NotChandlerParsons

Wait, ESPN has journalistic standards? Since when?

3. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Does this mean no weekly football mailbag on Grantand either? That's the only thing I'll actually miss with this suspension

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This is probably a ploy in itself. ESPN isn't about reporting the news, its about creating it.

5. Classic

Classic Member

I'm ready for another sports network worth a damn. **** ESPN.

6. bmd

bmd Member

ESPN needs the NFL and needs to stay in their good graces.

7. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Such a load of ****.

Simmons is responsible for the two best productions in sports journalism today: 30 for 30 & Grantland.

If I were Simmons, I'd speak with VICE, and make a massive deal to launch VICE SPORTS and take all the Grantland writers with me. VICE has been trying to creep into the sports journalism market anyway.

8. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To quote Simmons, that's ****ing bull****. Just checked, the BS Report in question has been taken down.

9. what

what Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WO2WPxzb3hw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. itony

itony Member

now let's see if simmons backs up what he said he'd do.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wonder if he got suspended for daring ESPN to suspend him. Lets be real, Bill and ESPN know that he and Grantland are extremely popular and Bill has been pushing the limits of his pull in sports entertainment for a while. I think this is ESPN just flexing its muscle.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

So this is 3 weeks without the articles or him and Cousin Sal doing the lines? ESPN can eat sh-t. All this for that lying-ass fraud of a commissioner.

13. Classic

Classic Member

Let's be honest. Bill was really walking a fine line and asking for it. Practically begging for suspension.

Sort of like when a chick wears a short mini skirt and gets riz-aped.

14. NotChandlerParsons

What did he say he'd do? He said "I'm going public," but I'm not really sure what that means.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

What's he going public with?

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Espn is worth more than every NFL team combined. It generates more profits than the entire league. ESPN is a monster.

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Someone is gonna have to explain this to me.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Leaking nudes of ESPN execs?

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Horrible analogy. Not only are you completely wrong, but you come off like a pig *and* a smirking little twerp.

3 people like this.
  20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

lol he was joking...i think