1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Simmons, Brown, Herro, or Siakam?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Dec 20, 2020.

?

Who would you want to trade Harden for?

1. Ben Simmons

2. Jaylen Brown

3. Tyler Herro

4. Pascal Siakam

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Calvin Murphy and John Lucas ... just teach him one freaking shot or a hot spot on the floor.

bj3175 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

As others have already stated, the fact that Simmons has been in the league 4 years and has yet to develop a solid jump shot really is a huge red flag. I mean, it really makes me feel he is content being the player that he is already because he will still make a **** ton of money.

I mean even Giannis has tried to develop his shot over the last couple of years and has attempted to show off what he has learned even though he has sucked.

My question is if the hunger is even there? Simmons will no doubt keep us a good team, but will we able to find the right complement to prevent other teams packing the paint and keeping our other shooters guarded? We saw it with Westbrook and it was really really bad. Simmons won't have a Harden to allow a 4 on 3 situation, so honestly I'm just not super sold on Simmons. I been back and forth on it.

#62 ElPigto, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    bj3175 likes this.
  3. raining threes

This is where I am but if you added Brown, Nesmith and 3 1st rd picks I would take the Celtics over the Heat's trade package.

I like Simmons the least and if any of the other of the guys are represented by Klutch, then I'm out on them too.

I see Herro as a better Mike Miller or Dell Curry type player.

#63 raining threes, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  4. Fefo

Fefo Member

Some of you really don't watch a lot of basketball, just look at stats and think " this guy sounds awesome".
    * Pascal Siakam has improved a lot, but last year on the playoffs he was a complete disaster and the main reason they lost to Boston. Every time he touched the ball near the end of the game, it looked like he didn't want it and acted exactly like that, getting turnovers and bad missed shots. He was not the second option on a championship team, Lowry was. He is still getting better, but will he get any tougher?
    * Herro looked very confident, but he was also being picked apart every time he was on the court on the defensive side of the ball. Teams hunted him, coz his defense was terrible. He is a big gamble, but i don't see his ceiling being anything else that a few times all-star .
    * Brown is waaaay too limited as an offensive player. Again, lots of you looks at stats and think he is a legit 20 point scorer, but he is not. He plays a lot off other players, but he is not a good creator. Awesome defender and complementary piece, but on a championship team, he will be the 3rd best guy. There's no chance we deal a former mvp for a package centered around brown.
    * Simmons is the best prospect, but the more i think about it , the more it doesn't work either, for both teams. For us, we cant really move Wall, and that backcourt will never work. For the sixers, why would they want harden? He is the better player for sure, but Embiid is way younger and Harden will have to get paid in 2 years a max, at age 33 , a deal i wouldn't want. If they really want to get rid of simmons, it would be easier for them to move him for a younger and cheaper player than harden, that fits better with embiid, like Bradley Beal, Brandon Ingram, Michael porter Jr , SGA, a package of Daaron fox and buddy hield, etc .

IvanLCPM and jacoby like this.
  5. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

The thing is, that it's not a fair evaluation because it doesn't revolve around one player,the reason I like miami deal is because herro and Robinson go great together and would fit perfectly with wood.I see the miami deal more as a package and not just one player, you guys are missing the point here.With all due respect.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Yo this is funny ,I was like ," who the hell is spicy p" hahah

Rudyc281 and jdjd like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely think that Morey may think the Sixers have a short window to compete for a championship right now and Harden gives them a much higher chance then Simmons. From a Rockets perspective I am not sold on Simmons but just giving you a heads up on what Phili may be thinking.

Think about it, the East is wide open this year. Boston hasn't really gotten stronger, Toronto is probably weaker, Bucks didn't change that much even though they acquired Jrue they did lose a key bench guy in George Hill. Miami Heat is iffy, even though they went to the finals it might have been one of those right situations kind of moments for them and they are no shoe ins for this year. After that it's a huge drop off. This might actually be Philis best chance to go all in.

jacoby likes this.
  8. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Ppl on Twitter are saying rich Paul doesn't want Simmons on the Rockets

raining threes likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't want any of them ... I want Harden to stay in Houston.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

The correct order is def Brown, Simmons, Spicy P and then Herro.

1. Brown- makes the most sense cuz Celtics have the most assets to trade. Celtics can easily pull the trigger on Brown, Smart and a pick. As for the player himself, Brown is only 24 yet is already an almost all star player. People who think they know his potential LOL this kid just a year older than Obi Toppin. At the very least he is much better than Tyler Herro today and thats a fact. He also signed for 20M for the next 5 years. That gives the team a lot of flexibility and I dont mean fake flexibility from a rookie contract. A rookie contract is only cheap for 3 years, after that you need to extend for the max which is what happened to Ingram.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/year-later-jaylen-browns-celtics-contract-looks-steal#:~:text=Brown signed a four-year,lucrative contracts in the NBA.

2. Simmons cant shoot but he is the same age as Brown and def the most talented player among these guys. The only reason he second is he might be injury prone and he is making the max. Brown just gives you more flexibility while being a complete player.

3. Spicy P - 3rd option but might be 4rth, since I doubt Harden agrees on Toronto trade cuz they aint better than the Rox as currently constructed what more if they lose Siakam. In vacuum I think a duo of Wood and Siakam would be terrifying though. Siakam is amazing defensively and both can hit 3s at a high clip.

4. Herro - dude went from underrated (pegged as unathletic white guy who cant shoot) to extremely overrated (2nd coming of Kobe). He still a rookie, has a ton of question marks including defense, ability to be top guy and health. Ok he proven in the playoffs...so what all these other guys have proven themselves also lol. Check out their stats none of these guys are chokers in the playoffs, Spicy P even has a ring. It a non question.

First his defense sucks. Its ok for a rookie but not if you want him to be a star. Doesnt matter if he beats his chest and snarls man, thats Pat Bev defense all bark no bite. He says he watches tapes of Rondo ok, lets him put those tapes to sction first. Second concern is his health, dude missed games due to injury, he even had PLANTAR FASCITIS in his rookie year and had to wear a boot before the season got cut. Cmon man. He aint even healthy during preseason, got some sort of glute injury during preseason finale. Dude has short and injury prone career all over him just stop this nonsense. You really want Gordon Hayward 2.0 for Harden????

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/tyler-herro-player-injuries

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

He gone if the Rox aint winning a ring. The sooner you accept that the better.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Brown is intriguing. He has gotten better every year and he has shown some really good potential to be an All Star. At this point I don't see him as a franchise player but I do see him as a very good second option that could potentially develop into a good first option.

The versatility is definitely there and he is young enough that he has that "potential" label. He certainly would keep us decent this year to avoid giving a high pick to OKC, so I am all for trading for Brown although it does feel like punch in the gut that we have to give up Harden. I don't even like the Celtics assets all that much (do they still even have any stash of picks left or have they been used up at this point).

That's my problem with trading for Brown, just don't feel like we can get enough back to feel properly compensated (I certainly understand we won't get the better end of the deal).

13. PWR

PWR Member

#1. Tyler Hero - dribble, pass, shoot. Weak defensively. I'm not a huge fan of him, but I know I can flip him for someone like Buddy Hield, who I really want. I need the Kings in as a third team for my vision. If I can walk away with Buddy Hield, Duncan Robinson, Kendrick Nunn, and Nemanja Bjelica, and 3 first round picks for Harden and Tucker.....I am ecstatic. I get three +40% three point shooters and a backup PG who shoots 35% from three. Let's f'n run Silas's 5 OUT offense now.

#2. Jaylen Brown - dribble, pass, shoot, defend. He checks all 4 boxes, plus I want Marcus Smart (a pitbull) in the package with picks. The addition of Marcus Smart makes this #2. I miss having a pitbull personality on this team.

#3. Pascal Siakam - dribble, pass, shoot, defend. He checks all 4 boxes, but they need to come up with more in the package. OG + picks isn't enough to move the needle for me.

#4. Find another deal.

Simmons isn't even an option for me. Because...f**k Daryl Morey + I'm not paying $100+ mil to someone that can't shoot (been there, done that).

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right but then again we have limitrd options. Celtics still much better than Herro and Precious, Simmons by himself or Nets garbage.

People wont trade franchise players for a superstar lol. Even in AD's case where AD guaranteed he will sign long term and he is a relatively young top 5 player the Lakers only gave up Brandon Ingram as the best asset. Ingram back then isnt as good as Brown is today and he was even dealing with blood clot risk.

We dont exactly have a rebuilding core we got pieces already Wall, Wood, Cousins, House, Mclemore. If we get Brown and Smart trust me Rox gonna smoke all the non Laker teams in the West and be right up with Denver, NO and Dallas as the new big shots in the West.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I mean looking at it from this perspective tells me we definitely should wait. It's risky because deals can get worse later on, but you never know if some team gets desperate due to a bad start or thinking they are right there. I don't know.

I'm glad I'm not Stone. Lol.

16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Pascal wasn’t a huge factor at all for the Raptors and Brown was nothing more than a role player for the Celtics. Kind of a wash here..

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Fefo

Fefo Member

Why would it be that way? The last time the sixers had a team that made sense with shooting around embiid and simmons they did great. The Simmons-covington-Saric-Embiid-JJredick lineup had like +20 on their time shared on the floor. After that, elton brand did his thing and took away all the spacing.
    Now they have curry, who is one of the top 3 shooters on open 3s ( over 50%) and Green, who is really streaky but teams still respect him enough to not play off him.
    I think morey is happy to roll the dice here and see how the season evolves, and we should do the same, if anything to at least let James play into form and try to get a bit more leverage on a future deal.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont think its that complicated cuz if a team is doing bad then Harden wont wanna be there. Like if Philly loses 10 strsight games by 20 pts and Morey says ok Simmons+4 picks for Harden, Harden prob gonna say he dont wanna go there anymore. He wants to win a ring thats why I think its better to trade him now while everything is murky. Even Harden doesnt know which team is gonna do well thats why he is open as long as its a contender. If you wait till everyone gets exposed then thatll limit the choices to just 1 or 2.

Its gonna be a catch 22 if they wait the teams who are doing well wont offer a lot for Harden and teams that wanna offer a lot wont be doing well which not where Harden wants to go.

19. raining threes

Looks alot like a young Harden to me. Without quite the passing skills although he's not a bad defender. He's a better defender than Harden ever will be.

BamBam likes this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ultimately the Rockets will do what is best for the Rockets. I am sure they will attempt to accommodate Harden but his leverage is low. It doesn't help matters that he doesn't have an agent strong arming the organization (thank goodness).