1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simmons, Brown, Herro, or Siakam?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Dec 20, 2020.

?

Who would you want to trade Harden for?

1. Ben Simmons

2. Jaylen Brown

3. Tyler Herro

4. Pascal Siakam

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, there’s nothing else of value on that team. Or nothing that can get Harden rather.

2. Boston84

Boston84 Member

as a fellow Celtics fan that answer is a big fat no. No brown no deal. Not with multiple years on his contract

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Absolute trash.

Celtics FRPs will be worthless if we give them Harden and they get to keep Tatum and Brown. The other players are all role players and there is no point in that for the Rockets (Kemba is damaged goods, not that he would ever be good enough in a Harden trade).

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. Boston84

Boston84 Member

Any team that gets harden is giving the rockets back mediocre picks unless they are spaced out in a way that that team falls apart if harden leaves in 2 years and or the team has terrible injuries.

That shouldn’t be a huge concern though as long as harden is traded before the deadline. Harden on a 1 year deal and basically a rental for most teams next offseason will limit the return for Houston regardless of what anyone says.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely options will be limited, but considering that another superstar will not be available in next year's market, I'm pretty sure the bidding will still be there and it will likely be contingent on Harden opting into his last year and signing an extension.

Don't forget, at the end of the day, championship contention is an incredibly short window and if you believe a player will get you there, and if ownership is motivated a deal will get done. I don't believe the haul would be as good, but I am pretty sure it will be pretty damn acceptable.

6. chris4vikes

chris4vikes Member

Ya I understand. If Kemba comes back fully healthy then maybe a third team could step in there and help. But otherwise I see your point and that may not be enough either. Chicago with Markkanen or Carter Jr + Cs players and picks? I know I am reaching.

It's hard as a Cs fan, but objectively, if you have to trade Harden (and like I said you should try to keep him), even if JB is off the board, I do not like Simmons. How about Ingram from NO? That's where I'd be looking. I don't see a lot of that chatter here. HE'S GOOD. Harden/Zion.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I can understand the Celtics not wanting to give up Brown who is ascending and can continue with Tatum for longer than Harden can.

I don’t think Ainge does it.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Kemba is a negative asset (i.e need at least a frp just to unload). Ingram is good. Positive assets that can be flipped for a frp is what id be looking for I'd a super star is not available (Herro, Duncan and Nunn).

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You know that's not happening, but I like the grasp. Ain't no problem with asking.

Even though Philly is winning, I've watched 4 of their ugly wins so far and it's fool's gold. I know, small sample size. But since we're thinking out of the box, let's say 30 games later both Boston and Philly are hovering around .500.

Would the Celtics partake in a 3 team deal with the Rockets and 76ers with Brown going to Hou, Harden going to Philly, and Simmons going to Boston? Since Boston would be getting the worst player in this scenario, I'm thinking the picks will be coming from Philly to Houston and Boston.

The reasoning for this is as follows:
    - Many Celtics fans say the trade-off for getting Harden is immediate chances at the championship vs a longer more successful future with Brown. They say Ainge is risk averse.
    - We all think Morey is BSing when they leak that Simmons is off the table. We all think Harden paired with Embiid would be a huge success and be a top 4 contender for at least 2 years.
    - Houston would rather have Brown than Simmons if Harden forces a trade.
    - Ainge could extend Boston's bright future because Simmons is young too, and a certain amount of FRP would make it a desirable package, would it not?

Doable? I mean, 2 young long athletic wings in Tatum and Simmons could work. Or is Brown untouchable unless he demands out? If Philly scuffles, Morey may be willing to give all the FRP and swaps needed to get Harden.

Boston84 likes this.
  10. Boston84

Boston84 Member

right but he can kill deals next offseason. He can leak he won’t re-sign. He can’t do that right now, so literally a team like denver or Boston if they feel there’s legit no way he stays isn’t risking it. If Houston is already finding that deals don’t meet their parameters the deals won’t get better with less years left under contract.

certainly there can always be a team that swoops in like Toronto with kawhi but Toronto is a rare case, they were a playoff team for years who disappointed and needed a change and were willing to risk it if kawhi left. AD got the haul as a rental because the lakers knew they could keep him.
    Just really risky business letting this play out into 1 year on his deal.

I understand not settling for deals now and not wanting him to go and also trying to get him to change his mind by having team success and that is possible but your deals will be worse next offseason and significantly

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

why would ainge help sixers be an ecf team?

its either they keep brown or trade him for harden to make sure no other ec team gets harden

or just stay put and keep tatum and brown together

why trade brown for simmons? more like a lateral move

12. Boston84

Boston84 Member

That’s something I could see happening that ainge would get in on. Before the season I’d say he would unequivocally say yes but if Jaylen is playing even 80% of how he’s playing now this year, I’m not sure he trades brown at all. If brown is playing even close to this level after he comes down to earth he’s pretty much off limit I’d say unless it’s for a much young game changing superstar like giannis (won’t happen but he’s an example) than someone like Simmons.

what I think is something to look at for Philly and Morey is that Tobias Harris has always played well under doc rivers, even with the clippers and maxey is a promising young player as is thybulle and they have picks. What if Morey can actually instead of losing Simmons and breaking up the embiid Simmons pairing, actually add to it?

getting someone like a beal or a Lowry or a Lavine. Guys that are unquestionably not as good as harden in their wildest dreams but could provide the scoring and playmaking that Philly really needs while keeping Simmons and embiid together.

Kim likes this.
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yes, it's a stretch. Extra FRP? Ainge seems to like accumulating rather than cashing in. Morey needs to cash in while Embiid is peaking.

vlaurelio likes this.
  14. Boston84

Boston84 Member

if ainge thinks a deal is a win for the Celtics and improves the team or their future he would trade his own mother. Philly and Boston have done trades plenty before even for the number 1 pick

Kim likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah i undestand he loves accumulating but his end goal is still contending chip. does ainge think even if he adds harden they can't beat the bucks/heat/ or sixers?

then have a run tatum & harden vs lebron ad?

or he rather wait this year and see sixers / bucks /heat have a chance at the lakers

Kim likes this.
  16. Boston84

Boston84 Member

he think losing Brown smart and multiple picks plus having an injured kemba doesn’t make them the overwhelming favorites in the east. Add to the fact that they’d literally have no depth and even if it did make them favorites in the east they wouldn’t be favorites over the lakers and on top of it all if harden leaves in 2 years all u have is Jayson Tatum and literally no draft picks because they were traded for harden.

he can literally add depth to the team via the tpe or other trades get internal development from both Tatum and brown and literally be in the same spot as trading for harden or slightly worse this season but far ahead in long term view. There’s no panic, he doesn’t have to trade for harden at all. He’s got a 22 year superstar and a 24 yr old all star in brown whose literally playing better than Tatum right now with his first time ver being a 2nd option.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

THANK GOD RUHFELL IS THE GM!

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ld-grow-desperate-for-deal-after-slow-starts/

Cool as a cucumber: Philadelphia 76ers
    Maybe desperate, but for different things: Denver Nuggets, Brooklyn Nets
    Feeling the heat: Miami Heat

The more discouraging one has been Tyler Herro's lukewarm start to the season. The entire argument against trading for Harden rests on Herro's future stardom. Through five games as a full-time starter (and Miami's leader in shot attempts), he's been ... fine. He'll probably get better as his shooting steadies. But nobody is looking at 15.8 points per game on 57.7 percent true shooting as guaranteed stardom. He's 20. He's going to improve. He might even take that leap this season. But how long does Herro have to look like a starter instead of a star for Houston to start treating him like one? If Herro plays at this pace for two more months, would the Rockets even consider him as a viable centerpiece?

Looking for the panic button: Toronto Raptors

OG Anunoby has seemingly forgotten how to shoot. So has Pascal Siakam, who still hasn't shaken free of the slump that doomed Toronto's postseason run in Orlando. The Raptors are ranked No. 29 in offense.

With each passing game, Toronto's package becomes less appealing. Siakam is older than Caris LeVert, and the production gap between the two is shrinking. How much of the offensive gains would be lost in replacing Siakam with Harden defensively on Toronto's end? Is this season even worth saving?

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Prime Harden.

Easy and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Not many now. He has to build that now from scratch.

vlaurelio likes this.
  20. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Good luck getting morey to trade the Young simmons for harden. Philly has an elite defense they not messing that up and much better spacing now