1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simmons, Brown, Herro, or Siakam?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Dec 20, 2020.

?

Who would you want to trade Harden for?

1. Ben Simmons

2. Jaylen Brown

3. Tyler Herro

4. Pascal Siakam

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Precious's trade eligibility could be a hold up? Maybe Meyers Leonard?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I really want Precious in any deal with them, Herro, Duncan and Precious have to be in there imo

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’ll settle for KZ

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Merry Christmas you filthy animals

Plowman, jim1961, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Duncan Robinson, Tyler Herro, Nun is an awful package.
    Quality > Quantity
    Star > Spot up shooters

There are tons of Tyler Herro and Robinson in the college ranks.

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes Tatum can be top 7 and Brown could be an all star. And Michael Porter could be top 7 and Edward's may be an all star someday. Every team with young players can play that game. GSW fans are proclaiming Wiseman the 2ns coming of David Robinson.

Walkers knee is going to be an ongoing problem. It's not a temporary thing. Boston needs Hardens scoring but even more they need his playmaking.he generates more points for teammates than most anyone in the game.

Harden would obviously score more and more efficiently than either Tatum or Brown. Now imagine if he generates a few easy baskets for each of those other guys. That's what he does. He can make a guy with limited offensive skills like Capela a 16ppg guy. Of course then maybe in a couple of years you'll have to pay William's big bucks too.

You can hope that tatum and brown progress by leaps and bounds but neither one is ever going to have Hardens court vision or produce the same number of open shots for teammates.

As for the argument that Ainge wouldn't do it. Woj is reporting that the Celtics are still talking to the Rockets so there's obviously interest.

Ainge did give up prized young assets and picks for Ray Allen and KG. Both those guys were older at the time so he went with the shorter window of opportunity in exchange for a more sure thing. That deal produced the only championship of Ainge's tenure as GM.

Why is it unbelievable that he would do the same thing?

D-rock, clutchdabear and xaos like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ben and Jaylen are my top 2. But both need to be beside a primary playmaker on offense to be most effective, IMO. Ben should be the center on offense, and a forward/wing on defense.

So who would that primary playmaker be - and how could we acquire them? No clue.

9. Boston84

Boston84 Member

Guys I’m a life long Celtics fan I don’t need a recap of ainge’s trade history. I’ve lived it but I do appreciate that. And woj saying Celtics had talks doesn’t = to a deal being done or close. In fact looking at woj’s history of Celtics reporting it usually means deals are dead. Talks don’t mean 2 sides are close at all.

if Danny ainge called and offered kemba and stone laughed it off and hung up those are quote unquote “talks” doesn’t mean things are even remotely close. I’ve maintained I would personally trade Jaylen but I don’t think Danny is going to and the fact that Houston wants a third team involved or is looking for one shows you that ainge either has low balled them or your deals you’ve been offered suck.

the Celtics don’t have to do anything. They can get internal growth from brown and Tatum and play the slow game if they want. They are 22 & 24. You saying well kemba is injured so they have to do something....if they trade brown smart and a bunch of picks and harden leaves in 2 years you’re left with Tatum and nothing. No picks, a pissed off young stud in tatum.

id do the deal. I don’t think the Celtics will

D-rock likes this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If Granato says that Brown was on the table. He is probably on the table. The guy literally doesn't do rumors.

Is Smart on the table with Brown? I don't know. Is Smart to a third team enough to get a targeted future star like MPJ for the Rockets? I don't know. I'm guessing Smart, Brown, 2 FRP are on the table and the Rockets are shopping around to see what a third team would give up for Smart. I'm also guessing they are trying to weigh that against a Simmons offer that probably isn't all the way where they want it. Maybe they want Simmons, Thybulle, Maxey, 2 FRP and the Sixers are offering Simmons, Maxey and 1 FRP. Getting MPJ and Brown would probably be the ultimate trade for the Rockets and I think that's their goal from reading the tealeaves. I think Stone would prefer to not send him to Morey but Simmons is clearly the best player available at the $30M range needed to make a deal easier.

Harden is so special and this is Stone's career defining move. If he botches this deal, he'll probably be out of a job within 5 years. He may never have another NBA job if he screws it up. He's waited his whole life for this opportunity and a goliath sized task was handed to him day 1. It's an unfair predicament but it's the one he's been given.

D-rock, Plowman, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  11. aelliott

I mentioned the trade history specifically in response to the "Ainge Wouldnt Do It Argument" (which you just repeated). Ainge did a similar deal and it produced his only title.

The long game in today's NBA is a long shot. You can try to wait out the stacked teams but somebody will make a big move to put together a new super team. I'm saying Ainge is smart enough to know that.

Since this thread started, Harden has added Boston as a desired location. So why wouldnt he sign an extension on Boston?

If they are still talking and also looking for a third team then I'm guessing that Brown is already on the table but him alone isn't going to be enough. As I said before, I doubt that some low first round picks are going to move the needle for Houston. I have no idea if Smart would be included but if he were I doubt that he'd be coming to Houston. Without Harden, we'd be in a rebuild mode and Smart wouldnt really fit. If Boston had only offered a hobbled Walker then they wouldnt be still talking.

If they can add a third team to provide Houston with something in addition to Brown then Boston immediately gets better and had a shot at a title.

Also, if you trade for Harden then you may also discover that the "nothing" around Tatum and Brown may actually have value with Harden creating easy shots for them.

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. aelliott

I agree with most everything you said but I can't see Denver giving up Porter on a rookie deal unless they get a stud back. If Smart and low first round picks got you Porter, then Porter would be in Boston.

I understand what the Rockets would like and why. It's just that almost nobody have those types of assets to trade without gutting their team.

If we trade Harden I dont believe that we will get everything that we are looking for.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yeah, this is the least appealing package in my worthless opinion. That said, Duncan Robinson is special. Yes, there are many Duncan Robinson types in the league and in college, but there is only one Duncan Robinson - the player who had the best statistical catch-and-shoot season of all time last year. He's a quick trigger shooter, someone you can run plays for in high volume and still be efficient. I'd have more hope for his long-term success than Herro.

BigM likes this.
  14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Thoughts on this as a basic structure?

Denver In: Simmons
    Philly In: Harden, Tucker
    Hou In: Gary Harris, MPJ, Milton, Hampton, 5 FRPs from Denver and Philly

Murray / Simmons / Jokic as a new big 3 in Denver. Simmons should work well next to a floor spacing big in Jokic, an up tempo system and he gives them elite perimeter defense on a team that desperately needs it.

Philly gets Harden and Tucker. Enough said.

Houston basically gets a ton of prospects and picks.

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

D-rock, Rudyc281 and Sooner423 like this.
  16. Big B

Big B Member

I think Robinson is the highlight of the package, not Herro. That said, it still makes more sense to do a 3 team deal if you go the Heat route where we get Duncan Robinson and ship the other pieces for another player. The Celtics really like Herro so maybe you can get Brown in a package of Herro, some firsts and other pieces from the Heat?

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One or two games don’t make a season or career.

but fortunately for the Rockets they didn’t trade Harden for any of these guys yet (excepting Brown).

we’ve got to see so far how far Herro has to go, how serious a flaw Simmons shot (lack of) is and how meh Siakim is at times. As noted... Brown has been solid even co side ring he’s way off from three so far.

plus on top of it Nets look dominant.

all in all a solid start for Rockets sake. If Harden comes out balling and the Rockets rolling even with only the 9 on the squad that’d be the cherry on top.

Nuggets 0-2. Mavs 0-2. Warriors 0-2. Blazers 0-1 (soon to be 2?)

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think ainge wants to move walker too

if he can move walker, keep smart , and only lose brown ( as far as already good players go ) then thats a big win. Does BOS have enough draft capital and good prospects on the team to make it happen ? IDK

i actually dont think so. We can include PJ , to make salaries work. But we have to get something great for walker, or rather Bos does. Hell if the player is good enough , we can throw in some of our recently collected firsts as well.

Brown and KAT to houston . Harden and PJ to BOS . Bos assets and draft capital and houston draft capital to MIN

Houston builds around Brown , Wood, Towns.

HP3 likes this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

72 games is a long ways. Someone will be more interested in giving up more in Feb of summertime.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think you are spot on.

The only caveat is that Harden wouldn't necessarily leave after 2 years if the team was in contention.
    Kemba Harden Tatum is a formidable trio. A championship and he retires a Celt.
    Any growth from Tatum makes it an almost unstoppable trio for the next 2 years, and you'd be shocked at how good Harden can make GLeague level talent look! More could be said, but if I was a Celts fan, trading Brown Smart plus picks is a no brainer.
    As a Rox fan I would take it. But cannot see Ainge doing it.... sadly for Boston.

Boston84 and raining threes like this.