1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Similarities between Islam and Christianity...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sane, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you took his comment out of context, though. read with the rest of the paragraph, he's entirely accurate. this is not a christian nation in the way that saudi is a muslim nation.

america is among the most religious on earth? man..i don't think it's even close. we have a culture that admires religion...but rarely puts faith in real practice.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

maybe i'm daft, enlighten me max.

3. MadMax

i wasn't trying to be obtuse or argumentative. this says it better than I could.

"There are many people I know who possess a vision of personal evolution yet seem to lack the will for it. They want, and believe it is possible, to skip over the discipline, to find an easy shortcut to sainthood. Often they attempt to attain it by simply imitating the superficialities of saints, retiring to the desert or taking up carpentry. Some even believe that by such imitation they have become saints and prophets, and are unable to acknowledge that they are still children and face the painful fact that they must start at the beginning and go through the middle." -- M. Scott Peck, The Road Less Traveled

the Western church has, for too long, paid homage to the ideals of Christ without living them out. i don't see a culture possessed by faith...i see a culture bent on keeping faith at a convenient distance, as long as it doesn't interfere with our own ambitions, wealth and desires.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And that is exactly why our country has enjoyed such success. Church is a great place to teach morals, or more importantly to reinforce the ones that are taught at home, but it's rules are arbitrary, and should not be forced on anyone.

DD

5. MadMax

apples and oranges.

i'm not asking for a theocracy. i'm asking for the church to live out the mission its called to. two entirely different things.

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

women have a say, they get to choose... arranged marriage is only after the girl gives her consent, o yea and also guys have to give off their consent too.

Muhammad (Phuh's) first marriage wasnt exactly arranged last I remmember

in christianity young girls are married to older men, look -

Joe DiMaggio . . . Marilyn Monroe 12 yrs age difference
    Prince Charles . . . Diana Spencer 13 yrs
    Rob Tapert . . . Lucy Lawless13 yrs
    Michael Flatley . . . Lisa Murphy 15 yrs
    Harrison Ford . . . Calista Flockhart 23 yrs
    Frank Gifford . . . Kathie Lee Gifford 23 yrs
    Flavio Briatore . . . Heidi Klume 23 yrs
    Michael Douglas . . . Catherine Zeta-Jones 25 yrs
    Mike Todd . . . Elizabeth Taylor 25 yrs
    René Angélil . . . Celine Dion 25 yrs
    John Derek . . . Bo Derek 30 yrs

- 63 Years -
    J. Howard Marshall II . . . Anna Nicole Smith

and those are just the famous ones. i could go down LA
    s yellow pages and find young girls with much older men.

o yea Mohd got married when his wife was 9, but she didnt actually leave her fathers home till she was 13 yrs of age. and she still had a say if she wanted to go through with marriage or not...

so dont put stuff out of context coz it works both ways

7. MadMax

liz taylor is christian? bo derek? harrision ford?

yeah...just because you're from the West...doesn't mean you are Christian.

i'm not even arguing the underlying point...people from all different cultures see marriages of older to younger. but you can't post a list of celebrities to necessarily prove the point that Christians marry younger people too.

is the mindset in the Middle East that every American is Christian? or ever Westerner is Christian? it's simply not the case.

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

any proof that they were HIjackers, never was proved.... they could have been passengers and our wonderful gov. could have just labled them a terrorist.

why exactly did america care if there is any sort of human right violations in afghanistan or any other damn country. i mean tehy could have gone to sudan, bosnia, chechniya, bangladesh, and helped out the ppl there. the money they invested in teh war, waht 80 billion could have revived oneof those countries economies in a snap of a finger, we all know this damn war is about oil.

9. MadMax

uh. yeah.

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

yes yes i know that, ijust picked and chose some famous celebs, and with the majority of america bein christian i took my chances at these celebrities being christian.

actually the mindset in the middle east, atleast where ive been, is pretty much that all westerners, and all white ppl are christians...

11. MadMax

i would dispute the idea that the majority of america is christian. i won't dispute the fact that the majority of america would label themselves as such.

i can assure you all white people are not christian, as well. believe me.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i would dispute teh idea that al the terrorists is muslim, i wouldnt dispute the fact that all of them would label menselves as such

i know that all white ppl ain christian, but in the middle east we dont exactly get a cultural lesson on the american religions...

btw i know a majority of americans think that all brown ppl are hindu, they see brown they think vishnu/ apu. 9-11 has just changed that stereotype to hey, osama...

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i musn't have got that memo

14. MadMax

there are stereotypes and misunderstandings dotted throughout. no doubt about that.

15. MadMax

are you seriously contending these planes weren't hijacked?

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

no im not, i just dont think it may have been all those ppl, or the fact that it could have been one or two non muslims, or maybe just maybe one or twho of those muslims were actually just passengers.

17. MadMax

so when al qaeda takes credit in the name of Allah...are they kidding?

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i seriously dont remember seeing anything saying alqaeda took ccredit, i remember them saying a good deed was done, etc etc all that bs, but never saw them say, WE DID IT/

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Adeel,

You are joking right?

No proof? What about the phone calls from the passengers?

What about the video of Osama talking about the successful mission?

No one said that all terrorists are muslims, but there is no refuting the fact that THESE terrorists are muslims.

As are the ones blowing themselves up on Israel, as are the ones that are blowing themseleves up on Moscow, as are the ones in the Phillipines, or in Balta....or the ones that are causing an uprising in a settling Iraq.

And...the ones that are holding SCHOOL CHILDREN hostage in Russia.

Adeel.....you are the reason it is becomming increasingly difficult to view the muslim religion with any validity, you and Sane have your heads so far up the Q'ran's bottom that your views are hardly taken as anything other than the brainwashed views of an adolescent.

It is documented that Ayeesh (sp?) was 9 years old when married to Muhammed. It is laughable at best that you are referencing CONSENTING ADULTS as an argument.

I hope you are truly not as naive as you sound or you are going to have a life controlled by someone else.

DD

20. MadMax

they did. osama took credit for it.

i don't think it's helpful for anyone to run from that. or deny it. say it isn't Muslim..that it's not something that Allah commands or approves of. but don't deny that it happened by those who claim Allah as their god. it isn't as large...but it's akin to those who say the holocaust never happened. it doesn't help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.