1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Similarities between Islam and Christianity...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sane, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sane

Sane Member

Me and Max were discussing this and I came across a website that was quite interesting actually... (Max, my e-mail is now working right now, which is why I opened a thread)...

Interestingly enough, the ten commandments are all confirmed in Islam:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    0) (Exodus 12: 1-17 & Deuteronomy 5: 6-21)
    0) Confirmation in the Quran (Chapter: Verse)

1. Thou shall not take any God except one God.
    1. "There is no God except one God" (47:19)

2. Thou shall make no image of God.
    2. "There is nothing whatsoever like unto Him" (42:11)

3. Thou shall not use God's name in vain.
    3. "Make not God's name an excuse to your oaths" (2:224)

4. Thou shall honor thy mother and father.
    4. "Be kind to your parents if one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not a word of contempt nor repel them but address them in terms of honor." (17:23)

5. Thou shall not steal.
    5. "As for the thief, male or female, cut off his or her hands, but those who repent After a crime and reform shall beforgiven by God for God is forgiving and kind." (5:38 - 39)

6. Thou shall not lie or give false testimony.
    6. "They invoke a curse of God if they lie." (24:7) "Hide not the testimony" (2:283)

7. Thou shall not kill.
    7. "If anyone has killed one person it is as if he had killed the whole mankind" (5:32)

8. Thou shall not commit adultery.
    8. "Do not come near adultery. It is an indecent deed and a way for other
    evils." (17:32)

9. Thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife or possessions.
    9, "Do good to your parents, relatives and neighbors." (4:36) Saying of the Prophet Muhammad (P) "One of the greatest sins is to have illicit sex with your neighbors wife".

10. Thou shall keep the Sabbath holy.
    10. "When the call for the Friday Prayer is made, hasten to the remembrance of God and leave off your business." (62:9)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion, a good Christian and a good Muslim are almost no different at all. f you follow the bible to a T, and do the same for Islam, you will have the same person... Only one believe in the trinity and one does not.

I think there is a reason Islam is one of the fastest (if not THE fastest) growing religion in the world. I think Islam makes it easier for a person to be a decent person, although Christianity will lead to that as well. The difference is the path to that goal - Islam is more complex at first, but once you grasp the basic theories, the rest goes smoothly. Christianity, I think, will get you there as well but the road may be a little more difficult.

DISCLAIMER: I don't mean to offend anyone in any way during the course of this thread.

2. Sane

Sane Member

Found this too:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    This feeling of doubt and confusion about the presence of a Creator and whether He sent messengers and prophets to guide mankind must be quite painful because it deprives the Atheist and the Agnostic of tranquility, security and peace of mind. The unbelievers do not have credible answers to the purpose of one’s existence. And thus they say that man lives for himself and for the pleasures of this life. So what happens when life turns sour? What happens when one goes through hardships? It is no coincidence then that the largest number of suicides takes place amongst Atheists, Agnostics and people who do not know their purpose in life. Do you know which country has the largest number of suicides? It’s Japan. In the year ending March 2000, there were 33,000 suicides in Japan. That is 91 suicides per day or 1 suicide every 15 minutes! This despite Japan being the second largest economy in the world wherein people do not have to worry about providing a roof over their heads or about food or medical care.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch.

I'd post the website adress, but a lot of what's in there is not very accurate so I don't want to start an argument about something we all agree on..

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You need to get over yourself.

For one, the high suicide rate in Japan is due mostly to culture.
    Look here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/07/world/main543167.shtml

Also, here is the Dalai Lama's understanding of the purpose of life: http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/resources/purpose_life_dalai_lama.html

"In conclusion, I would like briefly to expand my thoughts beyond the topic of this short piece and make a wider point: individual happiness can contribute in a profound and effective way to the overall improvement of our entire human community. Because we all share an identical need for love, it is possible to feel that anybody we meet, in whatever circumstances, is a brother or sister. No matter how new the face or how different the dress and behavior, there is no significant division between us and other people. It is foolish to dwell on external differences, because our basic natures are the same. Ultimately, humanity is one and this small planet is our only home. If we are to protect this home of ours, each of us needs to experience a vivid sense of universal altruism. It is only this feeling that can remove the self-centered motives that cause people to deceive and misuse one another. If you have a sincere and open heart, you naturally feel self-worth and confidence, and there is no need to be fearful of others. I believe that at every level of society -- familial, tribal, national and international successful world is the growth of compassion. We do not need to become religious, nor do we need to believe in an ideology. All that is necessary is for each of us to develop our good human qualities. I try to treat whoever I meet as an old friend. This gives me a genuine feeling of happiness. It is the time to help create a happier world. "

The great thing about Buddhism is that it leaves it up to you to discover the purpose of life. It give you guidelines (THERE ARE NO RULES OR COMMANDMENTS) but you must create the necessary conditions for the arising of realisation yourself. Jesus said the Kingdom of Heaven lies within. You just have to sow the right seeds and cultivate your mind.

Buddhism defines suffering as merely the gap between what one wants the world to be and the way it really is.

"Finally, Nhat Hahn also spoke about the Buddhist perspective of dealing with suffering in our lives. Although it might at first seem paradoxical to many Americans, he suggested that, rather than our normal practice of "running away from our pain and sorrow, or covering it up with consumption," a Buddhist understands that "suffering must be recognized and embraced in order to alleviate it...Dear friends, let us embrace our pain and sorrow with tenderness to find out what is the deep source. Then comes the insight that will liberate you from suffering."

http://www.livingdharma.org/Real.World.Buddhism/ThichNhatHanh-Suffering.html

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Buddhism is a very interesting religion. it's philosophies intrigue me a lot. there's just something about fully organized religion that doesnt feel right. they have lent themselves to so much abuse throughout their history that there just has to be an underlying problem. i dont know what that problem is (obviously), but it's there.

"religion is the opium of the masses"....... that quote is basically how i feel.

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

from the World Health Org
    [​IMG]

from the BBC April 2004

South India suicide is world high

Suicide rates among young people in southern India are the highest in the world, researchers say.

A study published in the British medical journal The Lancet says family conflicts, domestic violence and mental illness are the most common triggers.

The survey of 10- to 19-year-olds in the region around Vellore found that the average rate for women was 148 per 100,000, and 58 per 100,000 for men.

The average suicide rate worldwide is 14.5 per 100,000.

Globally, rates for men are three times higher than those for women.

'Major public health problem'

The report, due to be published on Friday, was written by researchers at the Christian Medical College and Hospital in Vellore, Tamil Nadu, in southern India.

They say the high rates emphasise the need to treat adolescent suicide as a major public health problem requiring urgent intervention.

They found that suicide accounts for half to three-quarters of all deaths in young women, and a quarter of deaths of young men in the region.

Hanging and poisoning with pesticides were the most common causes of death.

Despite the small sample of people studied, researcher Dr Anuradha Bose says the figures are representative of rates throughout India.

"Reported rates of suicide in other parts of India are low because identification of suicides is difficult, owing to inefficient civil registration systems, non-reporting deaths, variable standards in certifying deaths, and the legal and social consequences of suicide," he says.

"We do not believe that our findings are an aberration," he adds.

Experts believe suicide is under-reported throughout the developing world.

"There is a very major trend here " Dr Jose Bertolote of the World Health Organisation told the Associated Press.

In commentary on the research in the journal, Wun Jung Kim and Tanvir Singh of the Medical College of Ohio say higher suicide rates among girls have also been reported in China and Singapore.

Socio-cultural, economic and political upheaval could be a contributing factor, they suggest.

"One can surmise that intergenerational and gender conflicts are more intense in a traditional agricultural society transforming into an egalitarian industrial society than in stable developed countries."

Highest Suicide Rates in the World
    Suicides per 100,000 inhabitants per year
    1. Lithuania (42)
    2. Russia (37.4)
    3. Belarus (35)
    4. Latvia (34.3)
    5. Estonia (33.2)
    6. Hungary (32.1)
    7. Slovenia (30.9)
    8. Ukraine (29.4)
    9. Kazakhstan (28.7)
    10. Finland (24.3)

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

Any proof of this?

7. Sane

Sane Member

I don't, but your map is proof enough for me.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sane --

Except that Christians feel that meeting the Ten Commandments fully is nearly an impossibility. Christians believe that because:

1. God is holy; and
    2. Sin has broken our relationship with God...

that God repaired this through the blood of Christ. I can't do it on my own. Christ was the perfect sacrifice for my sin...borne out of the old Hebrew sacrificial system. and through God's grace and Christ's example, I strive to live by the law (the Ten Commandments, included)...but Christ boiled it down pretty simply and said, "the first commandment is to love God with all your heart, soul and might...the second is to love your neighbor as you love yourself."

So my "religion" isn't really a religion. It's a response. When someone shows you overwhelming love or kindness...you feel a sense of wanting to return that. So the way I act towards others was commanded by Christ...but it's more of a response to the incredible grace I feel from being liberated from myself.

Not asking if you agree....but I am asking if what I wrote made sense to you...am I being clear? If we were face to face I could explain this better.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The main similarity between Christianity and Islam is that all over the world, people kill other people in the name of both Christianity and Islam.

10. outlaw

outlaw Member

how so?
    Ireland is pretty religious and they are a "red" country.
    much of the ME doesn't have any data on that map (the white parts) so who knows if it's red, yellow or blue

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Max beat me to it. Sane, comparing the Ten Commandments to the Quran is a good shorthand way for comparing Judaism and Islam. Those two strike me as more similar to one another then either are to Christianity. In major bullet point fashion, I'd say they all agree that there is one supreme god and that he has a standard of moral behavior. They seem to part ways though in that Islam and Judaism say you can achieve that level of moral behavior and Christianity says it is impossible to do.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

but to expound, grace doesn't then give you a free pass to go on sinning...instead it calls for its own response. the book of james says, "show me a faith with no works and i'll show you a dead faith."

works aren't something done to earn favor...they're done as response to grace.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I found this site a while back:
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/reciproc.htm

Shared Belief in the "Golden Rule"

"Every religion emphasizes human improvement, love, respect for others, sharing other people's suffering. On these lines every religion had more or less the same viewpoint and the same goal." ~The Dalai Lama

Bahá'í World Faith:
    "Ascribe not to any soul that which thou wouldst not have ascribed to thee, and say not that which thou doest not." "Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself."

Baha'u'llah
    "And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbour that which thou choosest for thyself." Epistle to the Son of the Wolf

Brahmanism:
    "This is the sum of duty: Do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you". Mahabharata, 5:1517

Buddhism:
    "...a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I inflict that upon another?" Samyutta NIkaya v. 353
    Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." Udana-Varga 5:18

Christianity:
    "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." Matthew 7:12
    "...and don't do what you hate...", Gospel of Thomas 6

Confucianism:
    "Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you" Analects 15:23
    "Tse-kung asked, 'Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?' Confucius replied, 'It is the word 'shu' -- reciprocity. Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.'" Doctrine of the Mean 13.3
    "Try your best to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself, and you will find that this is the shortest way to benevolence." Mencius VII.A.4

Hinduism:
    "One should not behave towards others in a way which is disagreeable to oneself" Mencius Vii.A.4
    "This is the sum of the Dharma [duty]: do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you." Mahabharata 5:1517

Humanism:
    "(5) Humanists acknowledge human interdependence, the need for mutual respect and the kinship of all humanity."
    "(11) Humanists affirm that individual and social problems can only be resolved by means of human reason, intelligent effort, critical thinking joined with compassion and a spirit of empathy for all living beings. " 5

Islam:
    "None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself." Number 13 of Imam "Al-Nawawi's Forty Hadiths." 6

Jainism:
    "Therefore, neither does he [a sage] cause violence to others nor does he make others do so." Acarangasutra 5.101-2.
    "In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self." Lord Mahavira, 24th Tirthankara
    "A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated. "Sutrakritanga 1.11.33

Judaism:
    "...thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.", Leviticus 19:18
    "What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. This is the law: all the rest is commentary." Talmud, Shabbat 31a.
    "And what you hate, do not do to any one." Tobit 4:15 8

Native American Spirituality:
    "Respect for all life is the foundation." The Great Law of Peace.
    "All things are our relatives; what we do to everything, we do to ourselves. All is really One." Black Elk

Roman Pagan Religion:
    "The law imprinted on the hearts of all men is to love the members of society as themselves."

Shinto:
    "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form"

Sikhism:
    Compassion-mercy and religion are the support of the entire world". Japji Sahib
    "Don't create enmity with anyone as God is within everyone." Guru Arjan Devji 259
    "No one is my enemy, none a stranger and everyone is my friend." Guru Arjan Dev : AG 1299

Sufism:
    "The basis of Sufism is consideration of the hearts and feelings of others. If you haven't the will to gladden someone's heart, then at least beware lest you hurt someone's heart, for on our path, no sin exists but this." Dr. Javad Nurbakhsh, Master of the Nimatullahi Sufi Order.

Taoism:
    "Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss." T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien.
    "The sage has no interest of his own, but takes the interests of the people as his own. He is kind to the kind; he is also kind to the unkind: for Virtue is kind. He is faithful to the faithful; he is also faithful to the unfaithful: for Virtue is faithful." Tao Teh Ching, Chapter 49

Unitarian:
    "We affirm and promote respect for the interdependent of all existence of which we are a part." Unitarian principles.

Wicca:
    "An it harm no one, do what thou wilt" (i.e. do what every you want to, as long as it harms nobody, including yourself). The Wiccan Rede

Yoruba: (Nigeria):
    "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."

Zoroastrianism:
    "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself". Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5
    "Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others." Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29

Some philosophers' statements are:

Plato:
    "May I do to others as I would that they should do unto me." (Greece; 4th century BCE)

Socrates:
    "Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." (Greece; 5th century BCE)

Seneca:
    "Treat your inferiors as you would be treated by your superiors," Epistle 47:11 (Rome; 1st century CE)

Examples from moral/ethical systems are:

Humanism:
    "...critical intelligence, infused by a sense of human caring, is the best method that humanity has for resolving problems. Reason should be balanced with compassion and empathy and the whole person fulfilled." Humanist Manifesto II; Ethics section.

Scientology:
    "20: Try to treat others as you would want them to treat you." This is one of the 21 moral precepts that form the moral code explained in L. Ron Hubbard's booklet "The Way to Happiness."

14. Sane

Sane Member

MadMax and JuanValdez,

I see what you're saying (correct me if i've misunderstood). I don't see how that's different from Islam.

Where does it say that if you break one of the commandments you go straight to hell? That's not true.

The goal in Islam is to strive for perfection. Do your best. Obviously, no one is going to come out perfect, everyone acknowledges that. Every human being, except for a select few I believe, have committed sins, including all the prophets.

I'm not exactly sure which group, but there are a group that believe all Christians will go to heaven regardless of their sins, etc... right? Basically, in the end, through Christ's sacrifice, all Christians will end up in heaven.

The essence is the same. What Christianity MEANS to say is that if you really want to be a good Christian with your heart, and put all your effort into it, you will go to heaven. It doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want and some guy in a cave who's never heard of religion will go to hell, while you, who have sinned purposely your whole life, will go to heaven because you're Christian.

Same thing in Islam. "Inama al a3mal bel-niyya." It means, (according to my best translation), "However your achievements are from your heart's intentions." Which basically means, you are judged by what you truly want to do with your heart, because if you truly want to do something you will put in the effort as best you can.

15. Sane

Sane Member

Pretty convenient if you ask me. How much of the Middle East do you think is atheist, seriously?

Yes, Ireland is a red. But Eastern Europe, Australia, and a large chunk of Eastern Asia are red.

Iran and Egypt are blue. The Palestine/Israel/Lebanon.Syria area is blue as well. All religious countries.

16. outlaw

outlaw Member

why is it convenient? I didn't make the map.

I bet there are more atheists in the ME than you probably think.
    they just can't talk about it freely there without being threatened (see Salman Rushdie and Taslima Nasrin)

But fine let's go with your assumption:
    Atheists are more likely to commit suicide than non-atheists

but here's mine:
    Muslims are more likely to be suicide bombers than non-muslims.

17. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Ouch.

In other news. Islam is based on plagarism and personal views of Muhammed. The 10 were written thousands of years before the Q. They were copied.

18. Sane

Sane Member

Haha, so this is a pointing fingers game?

I am in the Middle East, I have been to Iran, the UAE, Saudi, Oman, Kuwait, Lebanon, and Egypt. I think I know a little better than you about how many atheists there are here.

People can talk about it anywhere but Iran and Saudi. You just don't publish a book trashing the beliefs of the people you live with, and the people who's country you are living in. Forget the government, the PEOPLE of those countries didn't want to hear Rushie and Nasrin's ****.

19. outlaw

outlaw Member

does that mean it's ok to put a death warrant out on their heads?

so in all your travels how many atheists did you meet there? what evidence did you see to support your view? in 2 of the 6 places you mentioned you admit it's not even talked about and it's a crimnial offense in Egypt too (see Salaheddin Mohsen). Atheists don't usually congregate anywhere like a church or mosque or wear recognizable symbols.

pointing fingers? you started this (again) by calling out atheism in your second post, right after your disclaimer about not wanting to offend anyone.

20. Sane

Sane Member

No, I don't agree with the death warrant. I agree that they should never show their faces on this side of the world though.

Met? Many. I only truly know a few though. Fact of the matter is, they are not nearly as abundant as other countries, it's not close, it's not similar, it's not in the same league.

To be clear: It's not not talked about. You just don't go public. For example, even here, if my friends say they're atheist and the governmanet or central intelligence gets their hands on that info, they could be in a lot of ****. But these people won't lie about it. If you ask them, they'll tell you. Religion is a big deal here. When getting to know someone, you always get to know their religion on this side of the world.

Yes, pointing fingers. "If atheists are suicidal, Muslims are murderers" when I wasn't even discussing suicide bombings or Islam with you. You didn't have any single sample of information to back your assumption up either. I showed you a stat from Japan, which is probably not the best sample, and then there's the map, which is a damn good indicator. Your map shows that countries which have more atheists have more suicides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.