1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silas is not a coach, he’s a life mentor coach.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RasaqBoi, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Silas is Bo Porter. By the time rockets are good again he most likely will be long gone.

RasaqBoi and roxallways like this.
  2. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Sorry, I was with you until you said that JVG would have been great with this young team. What exactly is JVG great at, giving young players nightmares because he looks like Gargamael's ugly twin brother? There is a reason that no one has offered JVG a job in 18 years.

If the firing of SVG and the repeated failures of "old school" coaches have not made people understand that this sort of coaching no longer works, I don't know what else to say?

Coaching in today's world is just like managing in the corporate world: it is about collaboration, buy in and ownership. It has nothing to do with discipline. Hard ass managers do not last; employees will tune you out and will leave. It is actually worse in athletics because the players make more money than you and will just ignore you, or go to "management" (i.e. the owner) and get you fired. The GM will take the player's side because they are the one's responsible for drafting and/or signing the players and want to maintain relationships with agents.

Sorry, but that is the reality.

That is not to say that Stephen Silas is doing a good job. There may be a person better equipped to get the most out of the players. But we don't need JVG, SVG, Kenny Atkinson, Steve Clifford, or any of those types of coaches. It is hard enough for Houston to get FAs as is. They would definitely stay away with one of those bozos as HC.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

that’s a sign of bad coaching.

Porter, Wood, Tate all look worse. KMJr can’t get on the court. Nwaba looks confused. These are 5 guys that were here last year and through preseason to now are worse.

They’re worse because there’s no system and they’re relying on Porter to basically be the PG that runs a PG led pnr type system and Porter isn’t ready for that fully without a system in place.

Dobbizzle, jboslett, Mr Woods and 5 others like this.
  4. Jalen Green OnlyFan

it looks bad but to be fair, his players are mostly 19-23

We have to give him at least the full season to see if he can get improvement out of them.

Either way, I'm down with getting another blue chip prospect after this years tank

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Waiting for Mario Elie to come flying down the rafters to give Silas a stone cutter and take over HC !

hakeem94, Xerobull and Ubiquitin like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He needs to go back to being an assistant coach for Luka or Curry or something. Maybe that's where he shines, to be secondary supportive voice

Dobbizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can tell this is a different sport reference because I don't know wtf you're talking about.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah Silas ain't it. The main rotation of the team doesn't look prepared for the season. Not surprised after how they looked most of the preseason. Sengun and the back of the bench guys are the only bright spot so far.

fattz and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. eman

eman Contributing Member

Silas will help us snag Chet. Then we ought to get JVG to coach these youngsters up. What JVG could do with all that athleticism...

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I love JVG, he’s one of my absolute all-time favorite dudes, but he would be terrible with this group. Not only that, but they might literally kill him from the stress.

Silas hasn’t shown me anything at all. I hate it because you can tell he’s a great person, but his “offense” doesn’t really exist, and they don’t really play defense either. What else is there? If you don’t do one, you better be damn good at the other. This team sucks at both. That’s not inspiring.

11. bj3175

bj3175 Member

His offense works for vets not for young bucks who need structure and discipline. He has got to motivate and challenge. The starting lineup needs a change as well. Theis should not be starting but coach is trying to have the vets lead but the real leaders are EG John Wall and Augustine and they are all have their roles reduced

Dobbizzle and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Chris Finch coached poorly when he was with us, look at him now. His team played excellent defense

hakeem94, RasaqBoi and DaDakota like this.
  13. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

RasaqBoi and hakeem94 like this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I already posted in this thread but thought I’d pop back in.

it’s hard to adequately describe how disappointed I am in the coaching staff at the moment.

that’s all.

15. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Maybe folks over hyped the players on the roster. We did have 200+ folks vote that KPJ would be either a Franchise Player or Borderline All-Star. We had folks say that MDA would be picked up quickly for a Head Coach job. Where is he now?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Did Finch cry?

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

we need a coach that takes them to strip clubs and orders bottles.

bunch of Lil nas black nails on our team. Imagine Hakeem right now.

@tinman

18. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Sengun and KJ Martin need to teach some of these girlies mang

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

So many coaching experts on here ;)

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Thank you. Sengun already had a hoe before the nba. @Sengun confirm?

kjs dad has 5 baby mommas. He knows what’s up

GOOGOOMECHUCK likes this.