1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silas’ 3rd Quarters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I am warming up to Silas now that he has won 2 of his last 26 games. The one concern that remains is how we consistently come out of halftime and get blown out in the second half of games. Third quarters in particular the score is typically lopsided in the other team’s favor. Seems our coaching staff fails to make the proper adjustments that other coaches are routinely making against us. During tankathon 2021 this is fine, but moving forward this needs to be addressed by making changes with this coaching staff.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It’s concerning for sure. It’s a consistent enough pattern that it can’t be chance at this point. I mean, they are routinely spanked just about every third quarter. For a coach, that’s not a great look.

D-rock and Imanimal like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

shrug

Silas has 2 more years here and then he’ll be gone

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Is that when Patrick Fertitta becomes eligible?

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Seems like the Rockets want to go long term with Silas as he is the best fit budget wise and is learning on the job. Since we’re stuck with him for at least 2 more years, my hope is that they get him better assistants in the off-season. His current ones must really suck because they sure come out flat in the second half of almost every game.

6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

.....would keep Lucas (for KPJ) and Hornacek (for prior HC experience) and absolutely dump the rest of the staff. Part of the problem is that Silas didn’t get to pick his own assistant coaches. That almost never works out in pro sports.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Please refer to these in the proper term of tank quarters.

8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Once again we sucked in the second half. Changes need to be made!!!

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

My favorite part of Silas defense is how one guy who is on fire still gets wide open 3's. 6/6 or something?

10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I feel like in the first half the FO let's the team do whatever they want then at halftime Stone gives Silas a call to remind him that we're tanking.

DaDakota and Patience like this.
  11. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Lmfaooooo

MettaWorldPete and D-rock like this.
  12. carib

carib Member

All tanking jokes aside.
    The rest of the season is the ideal time for the coaches to experiment as this young roster develops going into the 2021-2022 season.
    Given that the Rockets have multiple stretch bigs who also can roll to the basket. It would nice to see how the Rockets do on both ends of the floor with two of either Wood, Olynyk and Wilson on the floor throughout the game. Basically a 3 man rotation at Power forward and Center during the game.
    In addition to many other things such as packing the paint and letting a team struggling with threes keep misfiring, teams have been fairly rampant scoring close to the basket.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’m glad to see Silas has tried them together. I’m not sure it has been great for Christian Wood so far, I think he would rather be the lone big, but I do think they can adapt. I’d much rather see that than the iso and crappy shooting small ball, that’s for sure.

carib and MettaWorldPete like this.
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Net Rating by Quarter

1st : -8.4
    2nd : -2.6
    3rd : -8.4
    4th : -4.3

My analysis: Teams destroy us in the 1st and 3rd. Start to feel bad and then let up a bit in the 2nd and 4th.

carib, Reeko, don grahamleone and 3 others like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Coaching matters, especially in 1st (game plan & prep) and 3rd (halftime adjustments).

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Practice and personnel consistency matters too.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Welcome to the NBA.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

More Silas ****ery.

19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Silas can't be a head coach. The Houston Should bring back McHale next season

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Oy vey!