1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sikh student kicked off Amtrak for refusing to part with ceremonial dagger

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by da1, Oct 18, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

California Sikh student kicked off Amtrak for refusing to part with ceremonial dagger

Harsimram Singh’s faith instructs him to carry a kirpan, a sheathed metal blade with deep religious meaning. An Amtrak bus driver wanted the University of California-Davis student to store the dagger in checked luggage — but Singh refused.

A Sikh college student was reportedly kicked off a bus Saturday morning for wearing his faith.

20-year-old Harsimram Singh said an Amtrak bus driver alerted the police after spotting the student’s kirpan, a curved ceremonial knife that baptized Sikhs are required to carry at all times.

Cops told him he had two choices — either store the kirpan in the luggage compartment or find another way to get home to his family in Fresno.

Singh chose to stick to his religion.

"Our faith is core to our beliefs and everyday living," the University of California-Davis student told KITV. "To compromise that on behalf of someone else is not acceptable.”

Kirpans are one of five physical articles of faith that baptized Sikhs are instructed to wear. The 6- to 9-inch metal blades are kept inside sheaths throughout the day, a constant reminder to arm the soul against the corrupting influences of anger, lust, greed, ego and earthly attachments.

Amtrak’s policy is that knives and weapons should be stored in checked luggage. The Transportation Safety Agency enforces the same rules on airplanes.

Singh said in the past he has agreed to part ways with his kirpan during flights. But he doesn’t think the same rules should apply on the ground.

RELATED: SON OF SIKH TEMPLE PRESIDENT KILLED IN SHOOTING TO CHALLENGE WISCONSIN REP. PAUL RYAN

"I go to class like this, walk through campus like this," Singh told News10. “(The kirpan) is not a weapon. It's an article of faith."

Misunderstandings about the Sikh’s very visible religious practices have sometimes ended in tragedy for adherents. Ever since the 9/11 attacks, American Sikhs have been targeted by those who unfairly lump them together with radical Muslim terrorists.

In September, Columbia University professor Prabhjot Singh was viciously beaten in Harlem by a bunch of thugs. The attackers screamed “Osama” and “terrorist” while breaking the professor’s jaw.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...sing-part-ceremonial-dagger-article-1.1489761

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Correct decision by Amtrak.

[​IMG]

Next, someone starts a cult tomorrow that requires carrying an AR-15 with them. And then complains about discrimination when he can't take it on the train.

:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

I don't have see the problem with this. Religious beliefs don't exempt people from safety and security laws.

4. da1

da1 Member

You're a moron. They are sheathed so they aren't even easy to take out. Number two they are intentionally dulled so they can't be used as weapons.

If you're against it as a safety thing, fine, but then you better STFU when it comes to gun rights. Because you can't have it both ways. Either you're for safety or a racist hypocrite. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Yeah I'm all for religious freedom, but I agree with Amtraks position.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What exactly do you mean? Have you ever seen me advocate people carrying guns on buses?

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If he chose to drive in his car on the freeway, none of this would have happened.

1 person likes this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I gotta agree here.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

They are just asking him to put it in the luggage, what is the big deal. Agree with Am trak.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thread summary so far:

People outraged about a guy not being allowed to carry a weapon on a bus: 1 (da1)
    People with a reasonable value system: 6

2 people like this.
  11. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Can't tell if serious or trolling.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Right decision, safety reason not really religious he's not being asked to throw it away.

13. da1

da1 Member

Since he has a turban he must be Muslim and we all know how you feel about them. When was the last Sikh terrorist attack anywhere? There was one in modern history and that was almost 30 years ago. More recently Sikhs have been victims of hate crimes more than anything else.

14. Major

Major Member

What is the relevance? What happens when a terrorist dresses up a a Sikh to carry a sharpened version of that knife on a train because there's a religious exception granted?

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You realize you are inferring...a lot, and lacking intelligence or reason while doing so.

I don't care if you are Mother Teresa or a saint or whatever, you don't carry a weapon on a bus, train or plane.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Religion isn't everything, if he doesn't want to follow the rules, he can always not take the bus. There are always rules to be followed, even religious rules, imagine that.

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Sweet knife.

And don't you have to assume da1 is trolling with the, "They are sheathed so they aren't even easy to take out."?
    I mean... I guess it is possible he doesn't know how they work.

1 person likes this.
  18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Harsimram Singh is nothing but a hypocrite.

He's just trying to get attention. Sorry champ, but you need to check your knife in your luggage.

19. smr6

smr6 Member

Even if he will never use it as a weapon, it still provides a readily available weapon to anyone else on the bus who decides to lose their mind. Just because he has it in a sheath and has no intention to use it doesn't mean that someone cant quickly grab it, or overpower him and take it from him and then use it for their own means.

20. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

My religion makes me were a mask and carry an M4 whenever I am in public. Can I get on that bus?

Religion is the bane of this planet. I am sorry, but I will vote for public safety over religious "freedom" any day of the week.

I am also in favor of France disallowing Muslim women from wearing Burqas in their ID photos.

I have always expected religion and religious people to be irrational, but this is ridiculous.

2 people like this.