1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sigur Ros Concert - Nashville 2/14/06

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It was an unbelievable concert last night at the Ryman Auditorium. I had stupidly not bought tickets when they went on-sale back in October, so I had to buy them over eBay. Don't ask what I paid because it didn't matter - the bottom line is I WAS going to see this band no matter what.

The concert was supposed to start at 7:30 with the opening act, Anima performing but they didn't get started until 8. They are 4 women from Iceland who have supported many Sigur Ros songs with strings. However, they are more than just a string quartet as they can also play a variety of instruments, many of them unusual like glasses. They also used a laptop computer for many of their songs to produce interesting electronic sounds. At 8:30, Anima finished and then there was a 30 minute break as Sigur Ros was getting their equipment on stage.

Finally around 9, they played, opening with "Takk" (1st track off their latest album, also named "Takk"). Jonsi, the lead singer and guitarist, is a very tall skinny dude and his voice live was exactly the same way it is on the studio albums - incredible. And as I had heard, he did indeed play his guitar with a cello bow. I really feel that his guitar playing with the cello bow is instrumental to their sound. I think there were only like 3 songs in which he didn't use it and 2 of those didn't have guitar in it at all. But as great a musician as he is, I was very impressed with the rest of the band. Their bassist might be the best musician out of all of them - incredible sound. Some of his playing reminded me of the full sound that Chris Squire of Yes used to get. The drummer was also very good as was their keyboard guy. Anima supported them on many of the tracks and they also played very well. It really is neat to see how all the pieces fit to produce what is some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard. I still couldn't believe that I was seeing and hearing this live!

Here was the unofficial setlist:
    Takk - track 1 off "Takk"
    Glosoli - track 2 off "Takk"
    Ny batteri - track 5 off "Agaetis Byrjun"
    Saeglopur - track 6 off "Takk"
    Njosnavelin - track 4 off "( )"
    E-bow - track 6 off "( )"
    Gong - track 8 off "Takk"
    Andvari - track 9 off "Takk"
    Hoppipolla - track 3 off "Takk"
    Meo Blodnasir - track 4 off "Takk"
    Olsen olsen - track 8 off "Agaetis Byrjun"
    Hafsol - track 7 off "Von" (radically different version live than what is on the studio album)
    Encores were as follows:
    Svo Hljott - track 10 off "Takk"
    Heysatan - track 11 off "Takk"
    Popplagio - track 8 off "( )"

I was a little disappointed that they didn't play more songs from "Agaetis Byrjun" but I really couldn't complain. "Hafsol" was an absolutely amazing performance, probably the highlight of the show although "Popplagio" was incredible as well to see live, especially the ending of that song.

Sigur Ros is coming through Texas; I urge you to go out and see them if you haven't already planned to do so. According to their tour information on their myspace profile, tickets are still available for the Houston show.

feb 25 • verizon wireless theater, houston (tx) • venue • tickets
    feb 26 • performing arts center, austin (tx) • venue • sold out
    feb 27 • bass performance hall, fort worth (tx) • venue • sold out

I definitely plan on catching them again several more times in my life; hopefully they will play Nashville again in a couple of years. I can only hope that the Wilco (another band I have heard that is great live) show I am going to on St. Patrick's Day is even half as good as what I saw last night.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

Thanks for the report! I'm going to see them in Austin and Dallas - it is way over my budget but that's what i'm going to pay for the experience of a lifetime! Thanks for the set list, i'm definitely looking forward to all those songs live, especially Glosoli and Hoppipolla. God I love that band...

The music video for Glosoli is the most beautiful video ever.

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Glosoli is the greatest thing ever to my ears, dead serious, its absolutely amazing.

4. Manny Ramirez

"Glosoli" is great but the moment I heard "Saeglopur", I knew that I had heard greatness. However, I am finding myself more and more really digging "Popplagio". Damn, does that song kick ass, especially at the end. :eek: :eek:

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

LAWL FANBOIZE.

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

sounds like a fun night...

hmm two blocks from my apartment and didnt know about it

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've never heard anything by Sigur Ros, but I'm probably going to Coachella this year and they are playing it. I was only planning on going for Sunday's performance, mainly to see Massive Attack and Tool.....but Saturday is Sigur Ros, Daft Punk, and Depeche Mode.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

BTW - I saw Avenged Sevenfold last night and it owned my soul.

Best.

Live.

Show.

EVAR!111!!

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

I tried listening to it but couldn't get into it...To each his own as they say...sounds like you had a great time and that is all that matters...man, I haven't been to a concert in a very long time...

10. crackhead

crackhead Member

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

omggg how can u even say that? eighteen visions and coheed pwned the n00bs. avenged sevenfold is sooooooooo 2003 scene!!!!!!!!1

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This was actually the last leg of the Cities of Evil tour. I believe the show with Coheed and 18 begins in April when they return back from Europe.

PS - wana maek owt? lawl. j/k.

u b my g/f?

j/k

j/p

mabye mabye no?

holluh

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

i totally didn't think you were being serious about seeing avenged sevenfold. haha! I heard they were going on tour with Coheed & Eighteen Visions. Those shows will probably sell out. IMO, most BORING LINEUP EVER.

Best lineup? Tour coming up in late March with Between the Buried and Me, Every time I Die, Bleeding Through, and Haste the Day.

Aggghhgh <3 those bands.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Seriously didn't you used to be that black dude who was gonna date some white chick but her parents got all 1950 about it? I could have sworn that was you.

But anyway, why wouldn't I have been serious about a7x? ain't you seen my sig girl?

daaayum.

you trippin.

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

HAHA! I don't know, probably. DANG, i want to read that post...there was a lot of d-d-drama with that whole ordeal. I think it's why Des moved up north.

"Waking the Fallen" is a decent album, but the one thing that really gets to me is the vocals. The singing is okay I guess, but the half-growling, half-moaning lead needs to take a back seat. And seriously, how is the music anything to be excited about? Theres a few guitar moments, like in the song "Chapter Four," but other than that, they are borrrring. Sorry. it's just my opinion.

16. Win

Win Member

Thanks for the excellent review, Manny... I have yet to buy any of their LP's, but they get a fair amount of airplay out here in San Diego. Can you imagine that? I love how aggressive and proud a couple of radio stations (and these are commericial ones - not free) are out here about playing new and/or obscure bands.

I've been procrastinating on Sigur Ros as their last two LP's have been at the top of my to buy list. I'm quite certain they are an album/live band and not one to be appreciated a cut at a time. Anyway, I really like their mysterio persona. They seem to embody many of the qualities that endure a band to me. So many of the great bands start out (or always are) as 'word of mouth' driven and no band has a more golden reputation than Sigur Ros. I hate it that I'm behind the curve and not leading the charge, but feel good knowing you're out there carrying the flag :cool:

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Waking the Fallen is a great album, but City of Evil is much better in my opinion. The things they do with the guitars on CoE are amazing, not to mention the diversity in the songs. They ones they play at the show are incredibly fast paced for a metal band. Trashed and Scattered, Burn It Down, Blinded in Chains are like a nonstop assault. The live show is really great, I promise. :) If it weren't for CoE i'd probably only be a casual fan.

18. Manny Ramirez

Win,

I think you would really like them. There really isn't a band out there that sounds like them although their sound does remind me of My Bloody Valentine (the way Jonsi always uses the cello bow on his guitar). The last album, "Takk" is good but I would start with "Agaetis Byrjun" - that is their masterpiece, IMO.