1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Signs this team needs a lot of maturing before contending

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I've never seen so many uncontested shots in a game. Anyone who plays the game knows how much easier it is to get into a rhythm if your defender decides not to even jump and put a hand in your face if they know they can't block it. This is one of the reasons why Battier was such a good defender despite lack of athleticism. Why the lack of effort until the fourth quarter when it was too late, where the Jazz already built up a ton of rhythm and confidence?

Predictable loss = road game after an epic win against a team with one of the worst records in the league + third youngest team in the league. The lack of effort was appalling, and IMO the game was lost when we no longer bothered to even contest a shot. The Utah announcers made the same comment throughout the game, and my wife even told me why don't I root for a team that tries.

Not having Parsons or Lin had nothing to do with not contesting shots, but it also reminded me of two guys who tend to give it their all when they're out there, unlike most everyone else out there not named Beverley. Championship teams give it their all no matter what the other team's record or how big the lead is, and hopefully the Rockets start playing like one soon.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Young players don't get this. That's why young teams don't win Championships.

Do you know how young players learn this lesson?

By losing. A lot. In the playoffs.

3. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Nope. By losing. A lot. In the regular season. Not talking about the Rockets. Talking about the perennial high lottery teams.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Heat loss early this season to the Sixers because of the very same reasons. On the road, didn't take a young team seriously, played bad defense, had injuries, didn't adjust to what had been killing them all game long, and the other team made RIDICULOUS shots.

Not saying all of this isn't true, and that the Rockets are anywhere close to where the Heat are in their maturation process, but I am saying that it is basketball, and on any given night any NBA team can beat any other NBA team if everything breaks right.

The Rockets will be fine, but they do have glaring weaknesses like most NBA teams have. The main difference is the Rockets actually are lucky enough to have the ability to upgrade those weaknesses at some point in the next few months. Most NBA teams do not have that luxury, and have to settle on the pieces they have long term.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Young team with new players needs maturing early in the season. Who would have known?

6. Chris Jent MVP

It takes time and experience to develop maturity. Relax :cool:

7. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Falls on coaching IMO. A good coach would demand it and be respected enough to get it.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Then, that's not really on the coaches. If they aren't respected enough because they aren't that good, then they can't really do anything to solve the problem. We'd need new coaches.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Ok, remind me again who the Heat's 3 losses this year were against?

Philly(6-12)

Brooklyn (5-12)

Boston ( 7-12)

Hmm...did the Heat not give it their all? Or can any team lose on a given day in the NBA?

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

losing to the jazz while having at least 1 day rest is a good sign

11. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Seconded

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Houston, we have many many excuses.

13. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets defense will always give up open long range jumpers, it is exactly the low percentage and low payoff shot that Sampson and Morey LOVE other teams to take.

Over the long term teams will not hit long 2's at a rate to make it a smart shot. On occasion teams like Utah, Dallas, LA and Philadelphia will hit an unusually high number of bad shots.

The Rockets need to get better at finding ways to grind out close games like last night, but to expect the Rockets strategy isn't going to happen.

14. Nook

Nook Member

No it doesn't, the Rockets coaches WANT teams to take those long 2's.

15. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Dont think we can win a title with Mchale at the helm. Need a stronger coach who demands accountability from players on both sides of the floor (SVG comes to mind...). Losing to the Jazz is pretty bad, but not having 2 of your top 6 players makes it tough. This might just show Morey that we need to upgrade our wing players. Casspi has been good but I have a feeling either him or beverly are going to be included in an Asik deal which hopefully nets us a backup C, a solid draft pick, and another defensive wing who can hit spot up 3's.

16. Nook

Nook Member

SVG? The coach that Shaq said couldn't handle pressure at the end of games and that was fired by Riley?

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How do people know that a coach does or does not "demand accountability" anyways?

Do people actually hear everything a coach says to his players? Or does "demand accountability" means that a coach has to immediately bench every guy who screws up? Or maybe he has to call players out by name, or at least act dramatically angry during games?

To me, the bottom line is whether a coach actually gets improvement out of his team. I think this team is listening and getting better overall. So it seems that the coaching staff has the buy in from the players and that's the important thing for now.

It should be noted that teams get better gradually and not always in a linear fashion. Players are people, not robots. You can't just upload a new behavioral program and expect things to work from now on. You need repetition in practices and games.

18. SHOKI3

SHOKI3 Member

I would Love Stan Van Gundy as a Coach of this Team!... he's a proven coach!... he's the only one who can maximize dwight's game!... i think he would be a good coach to harden!,,

19. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Didn't the Wizards beat the Heat three times last year? Maybe it was the year before.

20. chandlerbang21

Rockets love other teams to take long range open 3's ???? Well guess what that's all rockets take also " low percentage 3pt shot"