1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Signings of Anderson, Gordon Reflect Emphasis on Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jul 4, 2016.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No worries! Your comments were completely fair. It sounded like your questions were similar to Easy's, and I get it. Basically, the Rockets are asking folks to take a leap of faith that the poor chemistry and defensive issues of 2015-16 were largely due to the team not being aligned on how they'd like to play, structurally. Seeing as how I never saw any sort of personal problems or "bad apples", I've talked myself into that being the most likely cause... but it's certainly not proof. Unfortunately, we won't have any of that until the games actually start being played. :(

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I thought this was a really balanced & thoughtful article. One of the better ones I've read recently on the Rockets. I liked the Trailblazers reference.

Chemistry and coaching are intangible but so critical. And Golden State + Durant might end up being like last year's Spurs + Aldridge. Anything can happen (just with much smaller probabilities in the NBA. :cool:)

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ben/The Cat's article was spot on I thought. Culture was #1 and everything drew off that. The team is retooling around Harden with a true offensive system and adding players that augment that system. That is a good start to the retooling. We'll see what else gets added and how things gel.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We actually don't know. It's just speculation from various tidbits.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Culture?

Are you freaking kidding me? You are talking about the culture of this franchise?

Really?

When you are sending your legends to recruit player like Kent (not Clark) Bazemore and still got rejected, you are talking about culture and plans to attract future superstar to play here?

LOL

6. malakas

malakas Member

Looks to me that our new culture will be regular injuries and no defence.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

I see where you're coming from. Dwight was definitely not at his best, because he wasn't willing to play the way Harden and Morey & Leslie envisioned to play. In that sense, they are definitely making positive steps. It's actually ironic that D'Antoni was a Leslie hire when in fact it has put Morey in a perfect position to get Anderson, Gordon and other good shooters and offensive minded players. Morey not getting shooters and following his philosophy is what some of us have been saying for years, so while forced, he is doing it. Whether that will change our problems, we indeed have to wait and see. Individually it can get worse, but as a team, I don't see how we can be any worse than last year.

8. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Hopefully anderson takes Kyle under his wing, and makes him a mini me. One ryan anderson is nice, two of them is a deadly luxury!:grin:

9. The Cat

I know you're mostly here to troll, so I'll only respond once to this, but:

1.) The "Dream team" of Rockets' stars was arranged for AL HORFORD. However, Horford chose to have his meetings Friday morning (as opposed to Thursday night). Since those people were already together and in the same city, and Bazemore happened to be there as well, why not bring them to that meeting as well? It's not like they're doing anything else. To believe those guys were all put together exclusively FOR KENT BAZEMORE is simply an inaccurate understanding of the facts or trolling. Seeing as how the truth isn't hard to figure out, I tend to think it's the latter. Particularly given your recent posting history.

2.) Has anyone ever signed a contract because some loosely-affiliated legend from 20 years ago went to a meeting? I don't think so. It's just a small perk to try and promote the organization. Nine times out of 10, it comes down to money and/or fit. Now, here's the thing:

A FREE AGENT CAN ONLY SAY YES TO ONE TEAM. Therefore, for the pursuit of virtually any one FA on the market, the odds are that you'll be unsuccessful. Sean Pendergast explains it quite well:

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/ho...erms-with-free-agents-anderson-gordon-8533669

Unless you have specific insight on the decision-making process with Bazemore or any other individual, the fact that they said no to one particular team (i.e. the Rockets) doesn't show much of anything.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I know what Ben was talking about but have absolutely no clue what the hell you are talking about.

11. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Your shtick is getting old.....Not sure if just trolling, but if you and all the other "fans" who believe the sky is falling want to come here to complain all the time, maybe you should jump on the Warriors bandwagon where it's all sunshine and rainbows. The constant negativity and finding ANYTHING to complain about is annoying.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/ryananderson33">@ryananderson33</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/JHarden13">@JHarden13</a>: &quot;There's nobody I would rather play on the court with in the NBA.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/750431048442343425">July 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well,

if you would like to talk FACTS, then lets do it.

The facts are :

- The Hawks has been rated by most of the so called experts or fans that being a team without any superstars, they have some all stars, I don't think anyone will doubt it, but they do not have that kind of superstars which most team will say : lets build around him.

- They have an awesome season 2 years ago, but came back to earth and being a mediocre team last year, similar to Rockets but just not that terrible overall.

- Even at their best season, they were never considered as a serious contender.

- Bazemore, 3 years ago was a bench player in a horrible Lakers team, signed with the Hawks 2 years ago and also being an end of the bench guy in that Hawks team. Last year he got a chance to start mainly due to the departure of Carroll, well give him credit because he did improve on his game and eventually become a hot commodity this offseason.

- So, according to the media, the Hawks offered him 4 years 70 mils, while both the Lakers and the Rockets offered him more at 72 mils and his decision is to remain with the Hawks. Call it loyalty if you will, but the fact is not very difficult to see, even with a little bit extra money that the Hawks, he clearly believe that the Rockets is not a better team suited for him to play for.

- Any rational human being will understand the so called legend recruiting group is nothing more than just window dressing. Only idiots will believe that some retired player's words will be more important than the players in the current teams. This is nothing disrespect to our legends, its simply the truth. Will people actually believe Duarant went to GSW mainly because of Jerry West and not because of Curry?

- So if you will understand the above simple fact, that an undrafted young player suddenly got a chance for a big payday and eventually he decided to choose a mediocre team in the east rather than to play with a team that some regarded "still have a top 5 player in the league", that probably will tell you a bit (not much if you will insist) about the current outlook of this team and how attractive it will be for even high quality players, like superstars that this team always want to chase.

and this, is the culture you may want to think about.

14. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

I'm guessing you haven't thought about the possibility that he may have been concerned about playing time with Ariza locked into the starting lineup? Or maybe you're just ignoring that...

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Sure,

the Rockets will offer an young players 18 mils per for 4 years and also being the first one to meet on July 1st midnight and their plan is to play him off the bench to sub for a 31 years old starter that clearly doesn't fit better in the new coach's offense?

16. j@amc

j@amc Member

Average Defense Would Be a Change

If we could simply be average on defense, I'd be less frustrated. I would take an in-shape, hungry, determined, ORGANIZED unit over what we've seen in the past three years.

I'd love to see our group come out of a timeout, run a play (with at least 3 crisp passes), score, and get back as a team on defense.

I haven't seen that in so long. . .

With our live ball turnovers (often on our first pass in the half court), poor shooting, lack of being in shape, limited effort on the glass, and below average athleticism, we're fortunate that the league didn't step in and declare that we weren't a professional team anymore.

I hate that we're going to have to start from the ground up, but some humility and sweat won't hurt this group at all.

17. The Cat

Bazemore is from North Carolina and loves living in Atlanta. In his two seasons with the team, the Hawks went 108-56 (.659 winning percentage). They won three playoff series, including a trip to the conference finals. The raise offered by the Rockets was less than 3%. Given those factors, if you really think Bazemore picking the Hawks over the Rockets is some sort of significant indictment, I think your agenda is pretty clear.

18. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Guess this was the one time where Morey's mentality of "get the star first, the rest will work itself out" kind of didn't happen haha, dang :(

19. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I thought it was a very good article, though probably a bit on the optimistic side. Not to say we don't need a dose of optimism in the GARM.

Quality article/posts though; not surprised coming from The Cat.

20. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Ryan Anderson is not Stat and Gorden is not Joe.