1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sign Perry Jones III

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Oct 25, 2015.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

He is a 7 footer that handles the ball like a guard and out of this world explosiveness. Durant called Perry the most athletic player in the NBA. Can guard multiple positions and loves to run. Would be a great fit on the second unit, just for his ability to throw outlet passes or leak out and run.

With Jones, Rockets would have the most athletic roster from 1 thru 15. Plays a position of need to boot: 3, 4 or even a small ball 5. Adds another ball handler to team. Let's turn this bust into a boom, our system fits Jones to a "T".

1 person likes this.
  2. AFS

AFS Member

Durant also called Jimmer Fredette the best scorer on the planet. PJIII is intriguing, but don't really care if we don't sign him.

3. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Perry Jones would be a steal. Let's hope Morey agrees.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Was he cut, already?

DD

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You really believe OKC waived the person you're describing here?

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

no but the Celtics did

7. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Watched him since baylor. r****d amounts of talent absolutely no motor.

He got tmac potential but is going to end up likely worse than stromile swift.

If the motor didn't come with durant and Westbrook, it's never coming.

8. malakas

malakas Member

and OKC gave Boston $1.5 million cash + Detroit's 2019 unprotected 2nd Round Pick to eat his salary.

I have no idea how Perry Jones plays but judging from the lack of outrage from Celtics fans I don't think he is that good..
    On the other hand we got nothing to lose. There are only a few teams that can claim him off waivers anyway.

9. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

"Handles like a guard" is a bit of stretch. Might be able to take some forwards off the bounce, but he's not going to be a point forward or secondary ball handler. His 3 point shot is shaky, he doesn't rebound as well as you want him to, and he takes a bunch of midrange jumpers.

That being said, he's no doubt talented. He has a nice little post game, his shooting form is good, and he's got great wingspan.

He seems like a guy that needs a lot of minutes to perform well, and I dont think that'll be available here in Houston.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ditto this. PJ3 is Downey soft. I predicted he would be a complete zero in the NBA. (Pierre Jackson was the MVP at Baylor). He was also a part of the rebel group of players at OKC that also included Reggie Jackson and Jeremy Lamb.

The only theft would be PJ3 stealing money from whatever team is dumb enough to pay him.

Some guys don't have it between the ears. Some guys don't have a heart.

PJ3 has neither.

11. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

We don't need another Jones on the team.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Former first rounder with off the charts talent. For the vet min, there is no risk to sign him to one year vet min contract. Perry Jones has better chance to make impact on Rockets than undrafted CF hopefuls like Chris Walker, Jeremy Tyler or Joshua Smith.

Don't understand the hypocrisy or the hate. PJ would be a placeholder signing until Morey makes another move anyway. Until then he can help at a position that team is thin at. Perry Jones has actually had success against the Clippers and Nuggets. Kid is inconsistent no doubt but the talent is there and our system would be perfect t for him. Low risk, high reward.

And Morey and McHale have had some success with OKC bench players.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Was he class of 09?

14. OpenLayup-Why3?

Athletic big who can handle the ball well and is named Jones. Hmmm... Where did I hear that before?

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO maybe you just joined the forums recently but when PJIII was getting drafted a lot of posters were talking about how dumb Morey was passing on him for other guys and how awesome he will be in OKC...KD-lite gonna burn the entire league :rolleyes:

You kept on harping about low risk high reward but what's the high reward? Dude has a lot of athleticism but that's about it, he has really low bball IQ and he avoids contact and he's not a great shooter, other than dunks what exactly can he give to the team? If he really had off the charts talent why will OKC who originally drafted him give him up, and why would the Celtics cut him? Jones isn't a rookie anymore, if he can't break out with OKC and the Celts why will he suddenly turn a corner in Houston?

Joshua Smith has actually played great in preseason games, and as a big man/center he plays in a position of need because Dwight and Capela are the only true centers we have. And you can sign him to a rookie contract and have him on the cheap for 3-5 years. In terms of risk-reward, Joshua Smith has less risk and greater reward than Perry Jones.

16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

I like Joshua Smith also. Initially I thought he would be a joke at 360lbs. But I can see with him nimble feet (for his weight) and frame, if he slimmed down to 300-320lbs ... he may be a pretty decent back-up.

17. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He's a horrendous rebounder so you can't play him at the 4. He's not a good enough shooter to play at the 3. He has no role on this team at all

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I would rather sign Jeff Adrien.

19. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

At some point players like PJIII show flashes and glimmers of what they can be that give you hope. This far into his career, a cursory glance at his game log shows only one good game, ever. He had 32 points and 7 rebounds in a loss to the Clippers Halloween 2014. And he's had more chances. I'd say it's time to move on.

Oh and at this point the argument "it's low risk/high reward for signing a guy like this to a vet min contract"... doesn't work given we are hard capped and every person signed has an opportunity cost.

20. basketballholic

I've never been a fan of Perry Jones. He was another much debated case in the draft forum back in 2012 that we discussed ad nauseum. A couple of us repeatedly said he was going to bust because he shied away from physicality and he's mentally slow. While many of us thought he was a superstar in the making.

While I've never been a fan, I'd be for bringing this kid in at this point. I think we should all recognize he's never going to be a great player. But....he could become a very serviceable, good player in the right system. And our offensive system at least is about as basic as it gets for the mentally challenged players. Defensively, another story.

Anyways, we should know what this kid is. He's an athlete with a great body and some individual basketball skills. How best to use him? Let him defend a guy on the perimeter and get out and run-and-gun. He's not going to bang in the post. He's never going to be an inside player. He's never going to fight for post position, rebound, or get a solid base and become a good post defender. He's just an up-and-down athlete that can shoot the ball some and can finish and handle.

So, with that understanding, I'd be ok with signing him to a minimum salary deal to see what he could give us this season.