1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sighting of the Rockets at Read To Achieve

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Oct 25, 2006.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

You guys won't get these photos from Rockets.com......

So just want to share them with you......... ENJOY.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

excellent post and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

3. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Pic #6: So, they only send white guys out with other white guys? Is that how it works?
    Pic #8: All the jungle animals... enough, we got it, Mutombo is from Africa, he's been around long enough and has that funny accent. You don't have to remind me of it. Same with the cheesy Chinese gates behind Yao Ming.

Pic #9: Kelena's last act as a Rocket? The kids must be mad... other Read to Achieve programs got Yao, Mutombo, or at least guys with guaranteed contract. These got stuck with two scrub readers with one minimum wage guarateed deals between them.

Kids probably asked Kelena when he expected go get cut. They probably asked JLIII how Will Smith is on the set of Fresh Prince.

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

LOL ... good catch. The hidden (well, maybe not so) cultural and racial stereotypes there are unmistakable.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

And they sent New Yorker Rafer Alston out with Miss Liberty and a generic city skyline. Those cultural stereotypes.

6. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

There's also Rafer in pic #10: Yes, Skip is from NYC and he likes chubby white girls. :)

Edit: hehe... someone else noticed.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I too noticed the not so subtle imagery lol, namely Dikembe's safari adventure, but the first thing that popped into my head when looking at the pictures was...

"this is the most action Juwan's seen all preseason"

8. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

How could y'all miss the toga next to vspan

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My favorite is picture number 1....got to love the kid rollin in the Escalade sweater.

10. LFE171

LFE171 Member

if i was one of those kids being read to battier, id think "man how ghey. he's from france." :p

jk to all the french related fans. but didnt know battier was french.(or even part)

11. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Wow! Those pictures are amazing! I don't get it, why not have Novak on the "wild safari" or Deke at the "Parthenon?!?" Hmmm...

The best is the last one by far though, its night time in NYC and Skip is teachin' kids how to read in the middle of Central Park. "Stay in School!" he shouts as he walks away, tugging at "Liberty" by the hand to follow him... :D

12. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Is John Lucas in front of a Mexican scene because he grew up in Houston?

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Well, I'm pretty sure the "sets" correspond to the books being read as well as the nation of origin of the player reading. I mean, if the overall theme is reading about different nations or traveling, why have Rafer read about China and Yao about NYC? As long as Yao wasn't reading a book called "Flied Lice" or something I don't think it's any big deal.

Funny how Battier got stuck with France, though!

14. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

that guy in the back better watch out. juwan can see what's he's wearing.

why are all the kids Hispanic?

15. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

If I was a little 6-8 year old kid listening to Mutumbo reading me a story, I'd be freaked out, crying, and wondering why he ate the cookie monster.