1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[sigh] Longhorn Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Baseballa, Dec 2, 2010.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

what's the latest on prostitute-gate? you seem to be the only party with the balls to report on this... give us the scoop!

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm sure the same lawyers that saved Augie from his DWI charges and Sergio from his "texting while driving....oops I just crashing into somebody's apartment" accident are getting paid to do their thing. It should be noted that Sergio was charged with DWI back in December in another incident. Great quality character guys coming out of UT-Austin branch, huh?

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yep... great football programs have some flaws.

Can't say the same for Rice, they've been irrelevant since their existence. It's come to the point where certain people have to gloat over regular season victories. *snicker*

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Tweet from the Arizona AD:

I love getting Akina back, but what a crazy offseason.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

WTF!!!!!

6. updawg

updawg Member

Crazy offseason

glad he's back. Wish this would have happened Friday before this wkds junior day

good news though

(you have to wonder what really went down - I have a feeling there was more to this story)

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

bigtexxx is checking with his sources and is putting together an update on what REALLY happened - I am told to expect it shortly, and that it may be less than flattering to the Longhorn faithful.

8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The rumor that I've seen is that Stoops at 'Zona initially offered Akina the DB coaching position with a Co-DC tag. Akina accepted, but decided to wait out the announcement until Mack could find his replacement. After Jerry Gray had agreed to come aboard, but before the announcement was made (Seahawks season wasn't over yet) Akina supposedly had second thoughts and decided he wanted to stay. Mack told Duane that he had already told Jerry he had the job and couldn't take back his word now. Meanwhile, since the process had taken so long in Stoops's eyes, the Co-DC tag was removed from the offer to Akina. Therefore, the Akina/Arizona relationship was a little shaky from the start.

I have no idea how accurate this is, but I saw it right after Akina left initially and it all seems to make logical sense with the events that have transpired since.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Rumor is that Akina was offered a co-DC title but Stoops pulled it after we hired Gray. Pretty lame if true, but glad to have Akina back either way.

10. SWTsig

does akina coming back signal that gray is on his way to ten?

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

Gray announced he was going to Tennessee on Saturday.

12. danny317

danny317 Member

Akina is coming back to replace Gray

13. SWTsig

show's how much i pay attention

:eek:

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

ESPN
    [rquoter]Texas' offense, which was shockingly mediocre in 2010, is getting a major overhaul, since Mack Brown hired former Boise State offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin, David Ubben writes.

Harsin's new offense will feature pre-snap motion unlike anything Texas has seen under Brown. Additionally, it will continue Brown's desire to establish a two-back offense that's also versatile. Harsin's teams in five seasons at Boise State averaged more than 187 yards on the ground, but also had the ability to run four and five-receiver sets in a fast-paced, no-huddle scheme. Not to mention the trick plays that became a signature of Boise's offense in a pair of Fiesta Bowl wins, including a classic finish against Texas' rival, Oklahoma that featured a hook-and-ladder, a halfback pass and a Statue of Liberty play to win the game.

"I've never seen that before and Bryan was about 28 when he made those calls," Brown said. "He's aggressive and out of the box."

Like another out-of-the-box coach in the Big 12, Mike Leach, Harsin will run many of the same plays out of different formations. The difference is Harsin's offense will more often feature power runs with distracting motion before the snap that are fueled by blocking schemes that don't change.

"What I've learned is it's a very complicated-looking offense with very simple theories. That's what I really like," Brown said. "Bryan will have five runs, but he'll run them from so many different -- 26 formations -- that everybody will think they're different runs, but it's the same blocking scheme for the linemen and [defenses are] the ones that really have the problem."

Harsin comes from a place, BSU, which was second in scoring in the country, sixth in passing, 21st in rushing and third in sacks allowed. The program he goes to was 88th in scoring, 50th in passing, 66th in rushing and 35th in sacks allowed. The Longhorns do have a few guys to replace on the O-line, but they didn't lose anything skill position-wise, and with this being QB Garrett Gilbert's second year as a starter, the added experience bodes well. How much better Harsin can make this UT attack is one of the more intriguing subplots of 2011.[/rquoter]

Longhorns adjusting to new faces, schemes

[rquoter]AUSTIN, Texas -- Never mind the seven-year itch. Mack Brown is long past that by now, rolling in wins every year in his first 12 seasons to keep fans from wondering what if someone else held the title of Longhorn Leader.

"Whether we like it or not, people like new. They like fresh," Brown said. "We won a lot of games and did really well, but 13 years is a long time to be at a place. Sometimes change is good."

Nothing spurs change faster than a five-win season like the Longhorns endured in 2010. Brown replaced three coaches, including offensive coordinator Greg Davis, who had become a lightning rod for fan criticism in recent seasons, never more so than last season. Two more, including defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, left for new jobs.

The process of getting used to all those new faces after three seasons without a staff change is underway at Texas this spring.

"It’s fun to have new ideas because we’ve been doing the same stuff for so long," Brown said. "We haven’t had any -- well, much -- changes on offense in our offensive staff for 15 years, really."

Texas' vision for its new offense is ambitious, but direct. Stacey Searels came from Georgia to coach the offensive line. Darrell Wyatt moved from Kansas to coach the Longhorns' receivers. And they'll work under Bryan Harsin, who called plays for five years at Boise State before accepting an offer from the Longhorns. He turned down several others in the past few offseasons.

Defensively, Manny Diaz went from coordinator at Middle Tennessee State two years ago, to Mississippi State last season, to Texas. He had glowing recommendations from everyone Brown spoke with. Bo Davis moved in from Alabama to add some more SEC flavor to the staff and coach the defensive line.

Diaz's defense, Brown says, isn't much different from what Muschamp established in three seasons at Texas. The Longhorns will aggressively attack offenses.

"Manny is just all over the place. They're not going to read. they're not going to sit," Brown said. "I like that Manny does a great job disguising his secondary. He does a lot of pro stuff. He does stuff like the New York Jets are doing, and I wanted that to be fun for our fans and our kids."

Offensively, though, Texas is working on big changes.

"It’s been fun to watch them all work. It’s like putting pieces of a puzzle together," Brown said. "We don’t want Alabama or Georgia’s offense. We don’t want Boise State’s offense. We want a Texas offense."

To make a step toward getting it, Brown had to say goodbye to his longtime coordinator Davis, squashing criticisms that their close relationship had become a detriment to the program and would prevent Brown from making the change so many fans wanted to see.

"Greg’s a great friend, he’s a tremendous professional. My relationship with him hasn’t changed. People might think it has, but it has not," Brown said. "There were people that thought Greg was in my wedding. Well, I’ve had two of them, and he wasn’t in either one. It wasn’t like we were best of friends off the field. We’ve been good friends for years, but when you’re in the office, it's professional."

Harsin's new offense will feature pre-snap motion unlike anything Texas has seen under Brown. Additionally, it will continue Brown's desire to establish a two-back offense that's also versatile. Harsin's teams in five seasons at Boise State averaged more than 187 yards on the ground, but also had the ability to run four and five-receiver sets in a fast-paced, no-huddle scheme.

Not to mention the trick plays that became a signature of Boise's offense in a pair of Fiesta Bowl wins, including a classic finish against Texas' rival, Oklahoma that featured a hook-and-ladder, a halfback pass and a Statue of Liberty play to win the game.

"I’ve never seen that before and Bryan was about 28 when he made those calls," Brown said. "He’s aggressive and out of the box."

Like another out-of-the-box coach in the Big 12, Mike Leach, Harsin will run many of the same plays out of different formations. The difference is Harsin's offense will more often feature power runs with distracting motion before the snap that are fueled by blocking schemes that don't change.

"What I’ve learned is it’s a very complicated-looking offense with very simple theories. That’s what I really like," Brown said. "Bryan will have five runs, but he’ll run them from so many different -- 26 formations -- that everybody will think they’re different runs, but it’s the same blocking scheme for the linemen and [defenses are] the ones that really have the problem."

In a league that's become known for passing offenses and getting gashed by power running games outside the conference, Brown wants his new offense to be ahead of the trends that have become common in the Big 12.

"That's what we hope. I wanted to be different," he said. "I think it’s time to go back to two backs and be more multiple, and that’s a fun change for me, too, because it’s different than what I’m used to."[/rquoter]

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Spring Game on right now on ESPN

16. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Just saw the replay of the spring game, and let's just say Gilbert's performance isn't very reassuring :( There really isn't a clear cut #1 QB as much as the ESPN announcers made it out to be, but Gilbert might end up starting by default. Didn't see enough of Ash to see what he's capable of.

Monroe still can't catch balls with all his foot speed.

The young WR tandem of McNamara and Davis looked good.

September can't get here fast enough.

17. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

McCoy had a strong showing, including the 11-yd strike to McNamara for a TD. Does he have a legitimate chance to claim the starting gig under Harsin?

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I disagree, his numbers looked pretty becuase he basically got lucky with guys running after the catch, and then that long bomb wounded duck - overall he seems not all that great, IMO. Then again, neither do any of them.

19. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Due to the lockout, a bunch of ex-Horns are working out at UT's facilities for the time being. I played 5-on-5 at Gregory this afternoon against a team made up of Jamaal Charles, Earl Thomas, Aaron Williams, and current Horns Christian Scott and Kenny Vaccaro (I know, cool story bro). At one point, Thomas (who's like 5'8'', by the way), lost his earring after a hard foul, and said "Damn, man... dats like $8,000 down the drain if I can't find dis b****!" LOL. For anyone at UT, they've apparently been playing up there everyday for the past week or so around 4PM.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Watched the Sping Game a couple of weeks ago... this team is looking solid. I've been missing CFB since it ended for the Horns. I'm really looking forward to this coming season... I don't have too high of expectations but I expect at least a bowl game. Anything higher than that would be gravy.