1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[sigh] Longhorn Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Baseballa, Dec 2, 2010.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Heard this morning from Chip Brown on the radio that Westerman is apparently dating Ken Wiesenhunt's daughter and will likely be looking to stay closer to home. Auburn is apparently a long shot behind AZ St.

2. josh123

josh123 Member

I am very sad right now but if all the other guys stay on board I'm very excited about this and the next couple of seasons. We just need some consistency..been way too many changes as of late.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I don't think Chip Brown said that....

Anyone who knows anything has known that Westerman was probably going to Auburn for a couple of weeks now.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Everythings just going wrong for this program right now.

5. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

That couldn't be further from the truth.

If I had told you in November that we could replace 6 coaches (including Greg Davis, Bobby Kennedy, and Mad Dog) with a younger, more energetic staff while only losing one recruit, I'd bet you would have taken it.

A month ago, our program's future looked bleak, but Mack has pulled out the punches and has made (at least 5/6) OUTSTANDING hires. I'm not claiming UT will win it all next year or anything, but things certainly are looking up.

6. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Itll be 2 years when we contend again. 2013. This year we just gotta try and get to 9 wins. 10 would be awesome but 9 should be the attainable goal, barring major injuries of course.

7. Major

Major Member

I disagree - 10 or 11 wins is very realistic for this year's team. I think people underestimate just how much of a problem the coaching was this past year, and how much worse it made everything look. There is a LOT of talent on this team. It just needs to be utilized correctly.

They really only have 3 truly difficult games that a good version of UT might not be favored in - OU, OSU, and A&M. If they go 1-2 in those and win the games they should, that puts them at 10 wins before the bowl game.

8. leroy

He did say it. Doesn't mean he wasn't wrong.

9. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

I think you might be overestimating our depth. Our OL is very thin as is our DLine. Our safeties are also not that good. The WRs have severely underperformed and our QB play has been atrocious. I think getting to 9 wins is gonna take alot of effort and probably a little bit of luck this year. Our past few years of recruiting have shown a clear lack of talent/developmental evaluation. I think new coaches and a new S&C program will help, but its hard to imagine us jumping from 5 to 10 and 11 wins. 8 or 9 (not counting bowl game) is more realistic IMO.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Wow, that's really surprising then. For someone who claims to be an "insider" to claim that Arizona St. was a frontrunner is pretty scary. I have no sources, yet I know that his final four were Texas, Auburn, Oregon, and USC. Although, Chip has missed a lot of stories lately, so I guess it isn't that surprising.

11. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

The success of the basketball team is easing the pain endured throughout the fall.

16-3 (4-0 Big 12)... just upset undefeated and #2 Kansas on the road.

Hook 'em Horns.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

lol.... Sarcasm meter broken?

His post just came across as all hope was lost, at least to me. Just thought I'd throw in a snickering post. You're spot on with everything though. I'm really looking forward to next season.

13. Major

Major Member

You may very well be right - but I think turning things around is easier and quicker than people think. The talent is there if it gets utilized correctly. As a comparison, look at the basketball team. That team was just as much of a wreck, lacking depth and losing their best player (Damian James). Everyone thought this would be a transition year and a fringe ranked team at best. With some changes to the coaching style and a new attitude, they look like a legit Final Four team. Granted, there are major differences between basketball and football because of the way the sports work, but this team was in the national title game just 2 years ago - I think there's more there that can be salvaged than maybe other people do.

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Haha whoops.... Guess it could use some calibration...

15. leroy

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol Gray's heading to Tennessee to coach the Titans' defense.

looks like he was just using UT-Austin branch as a fall back option, and for leverage for other offers

Mack still having trouble keeping people -- definitely has lost his luster

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Because we all know that a defensive back coach in college is a much better job than a defensive coordinator in the NFL. I doubt Brown's luster had anything to do with this.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol.

The guy takes a paycut and leaves an NFL position coach job to take a position coach job at Texas. But then, Mack has lost his luster when one of Jerry Gray's friends is named as a head coach, and the guy offers him an NFL coordinator job.

Yep, Mack has lost his luster. Muschamp "abandoned ship" to take one of the top 5 jobs in college football, and now Jerry Gray is doing the same, leaving a a college position coach job for an NFL coordinator job and a tripling of his salary.

This puts in perspective how ludicrously lucky we were to land Gray in the first place. I wish he would've actually coached a year, but congrats to a Longhorn great. It just wasn't meant to be.

In the meantime, we'll go hire the former Nebraska DB coach, or pick off some other BCS conference's coach. Don't worry bigtexxx -- the Rice coaches are safe!

It's also worth noting, there's a handful of former UT DBs coaching around. Willie Mack Garza is at USC (though the DWI arrest a few years ago probably already has bigtexxx excited), Van Malone is at Tulsa after being at A&M for a few years, and Vance Bedford is the DC at Louisville.

Also worth throwing out this guy: http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/bulletin/2011/winter/cn_07.php
    Daron Roberts is the assistant DB coach for the Detroit Lions, and also a UT alum.

#218 NIKEstrad, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

*snicker*

yeah he'll fit right in with the other coaches at UT-Austin branch (Augie) as well as the players!

Stoops is smiling wide at this coaching staff merry-go-round...and GG's remaining years of eligibility.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I rely on bigtexxx for all of my Texas Longhorns news aggregation requirements - I believe you should too.