1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[sigh] Longhorn Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Baseballa, Dec 2, 2010.

1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Yeah because it has never happened before? :rolleyes: Hey just curious, are you from RICE by any chance?

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

There are a lot of UT fans who share your same sentiment about GG, including myself. But there were a lot of problems with last year's team, not just him. The OL was the worst unit I've ever seen under Mack's tenure, there was absolutely zero running game, and our WRs couldn't catch nor run a route to save their lives. But I'm thinking (and hoping) that all 3 will be greatly improved just by a change of scheme and coaches.

Also, Harsin personally works with the QBs and managed to make guys like Zabransky/Moore some of the most efficient QBs in the nation. I'm hoping he can do the same for GG. If not, Connor Wood (Stratford) was a very highly recruited prospected who redshirted last season.

3. Major

Major Member

I think you'll see two big changes at the QB position:

1. If GG has useful qualities as a QB, you'll see the team actually use them and work to minimize his weaknesses.

2. If he's not that good, you'll see other people play.

One of the keys to the Harsin offenses is that they consistently maximize the talent that they have. One of Greg Davis' biggest weaknesses was never understanding how to put his players in the best position to succeed.

In those damn bubble screens that work for everyone else, they always threw them to Roy Williams and had BJ Johnson and/or Sloan Thomas blocking - it should have been the other way around. You throw it to the speedy/shifty guy and have the power WR blocking. But as a result, we consistently got 0 yards when the blockers failed and the defender tackled Roy, who wasn't going to dodge anyone. This lack of understanding how to use talent was a hallmark of Davis, and the opposite is true of Harsin. If there's any QB on the roster with redeeming qualities, you'll see the best side of that QB.

It will be amazing to watch a game and be unable to call the plays from the stands.

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Old Timers, post a clip of Jerry Gray chasing down Bo Jackson.

5. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

SHAMBLES!!!

[​IMG]

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

7. updawg

updawg Member

If I was Harsin I would throw a bubble screen on the first play of the first game just to mess with the fans

1 person likes this.
  8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It would probably work though. ;)

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The ironic part is, over at Boise, noodle-armed midget QB Kellen Moore actually makes a living out of throwing bubble screens - of course they usually take place within a coherent framework against a defense that isn't keyed to annhilate them from the get-go.

10. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

Which one of the following does not belong?

A) University of Texas Longhorns
    B) Texas A&M Aggies
    C) Texas Tech Red Raiders
    D) Cocoa Puffs Cereal

The answer is "A" because this is the only one of the four that didn't make it into a bowl this year.

I'm actually a longhorn fan, but I have to tell school jokes at work and I made this one up last night. I thought it was funny

1 person likes this.
  11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

ha! Good one

REPPED

12. gucci888

The most interesting quote I've heard so far this offseason is Applewhite stating that we ran 6 offensive sets vs. Wyoming while Boise ran 28. I'm not saying we have to go that far but it's absolutely amazing how predictable our offense was.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's not amazing at all. It's Greg Davis' MO. If it weren't for VY and Colt, he would have been fired long ago.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Report that Georgia's Stacy Searels has accepted the Texas o line job.

15. josh123

josh123 Member

hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like were losing our top recruit Westerman to Auburn. He cancelled his visit to Austin this Friday and has a "significant update" he will give Friday about his status instead :(

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Yep. He's seemed like a lost cause for a while. Oh well. Only losing one recruit through this whole process is pretty remarkable.

17. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

malcolm brown was texas's top recruit

18. gucci888

Agreed. Westerman is a big loss due to our lack of OL depth but if you wanna talk damage control, I can't think of another program that could have the type of offseason we've had and only lose 1 recruit.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

wow that hurts

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know. I can't believe you were a bit delayed on your refresh of orangebloods.com, either.

:(