1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sick and tired of these MFin drivers on these MFin roadways

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scarface281, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

America seriously needs to make everyone take a driver's test every six or seven years to learn the fundamentals of traffic flow. I'll take driving in the pack of cars going 70-75 down the freeway (who move over from the left lane after passing) over the drivers going 58-63, with the "lead" car hogging the left lane causing traffic issues behind them. When you pass them, they are usually on their phone or doing something. I hate driving crazy, but sometimes, I have to use the emergency lane before I get trapped because some idiot in the left lane is hogging it, with an 18-wheeler or other cars coming up on my right, so I can't get over. Then they want to tap their brakes when they see me come up.

There is no hope for American drivers, unless the Feds do what they do in Germany and China. Pull over people for driving slow in the left lane, not moving to the right for faster traffic, and passing on the right. If there were signs designating each lanes' minimum speed (say, far right lane is 55MPH, next lane over is 60MPH, next lane over is 70MPH, and then the far left lane is 75MPH+), advising people to use cruise control, traffic accidents would drop and traffic flow would increase. If everyone just consistently passed the cars to their right also, everything would flow. Instead, we get roadblocks driving 60 in the second lane to the left who think just because they aren't in the left lane, then they are doing good. Nah, move to the right. You see people flying past you on all sides doing 70. When it's multiple cars, then you know it's you NOT them.

On another note people need to LEARN HOW TO MERGE! Almost got in an accident yesterday because some dumbass lady decided to brake really hard as she is trying to merge onto the freeway. I'm already on the freeway in the right lane and there is plenty of space for her. All she has to do is freaking accelerate to like 63. I already let of my gas a little for her, but did not expect to have to slam my brakes. I can't move to my left because it's stacked, so I have to brake really hard to let her in (and only because she slammed on her brakes panicking for absolutely no reason), causing the car behind me to come up close (who was also trying to merge onto the freeway, but her unnecessary braking messed our zipper-like merge up). People are so scary. I especially like it when the left lane hogs see their exit and need to go across the entire freeway, but are too scared to merge and do what it takes to make it to their exit. Stay in the right then fools or make way for yourself! Just because you turn on your signal does not mean I have to roll out the red carpet for you. I'm not slamming my brakes when you can easily accelerate yourself. Press the gas and get in the multiple car gap in front of me.

Damn I hate driving in DFW. It's to the point where I just use the side streets now if I don't really need to use the freeway. An increase in stupid driving has happened since the New Year.

2. VanityHalfBlack

Houston is the worst when it comes to Traffic....

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The world is yours

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is the speed limit 70 or 75? I recall in Houston they were 65, in Austin they are 65.

I'm not saying I do that... But I'm also not complaining when I'm not driving legally anyway.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I mean why not just shoot them? amirite?

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"To think that thousands of drivers you encounter in your travels could or would navigate the roadways driving the way you would expect them to drive is not logical."

- Spock

1 person likes this.
  8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Completely agree with most everything you are saying, but you have anger management issues if you are doing this.

Nothing in the world makes me more made then idiots driving 60 in the left lane.

People who also, when there is absolutely no traffic, decide to move from the right lanes onto the left two lanes and proceed to drive 60 right in front of me! I mean WTF!?!?!?!?

But if you think American drivers are crazy you should really get out of the country. Drivers in Asia and South America and some European countries are literally r****ded.

9. Scarface281

I have a small case of anger management I guess, but I only do this when in trapped completely and the person in front knows what they are doing. Even tapping their brakes, pushing me and other drivers further back. When this happens in two lane freeways especially, there is no other choice except waiting.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm convinced if people would merge correctly, learn how to use turn signals and use proper lane etiquette, 95% of our traffic problems would decrease.

I love the person entering the freeway that comes to a complete stop at the very beginning of the lane blocking everyone else on the entrance ramp. I hope that person has an outstanding day!

11. Scarface281

No, the speed limit is 60. Speed limits are just a money maker for city's. Most people are comfortable with going 70 and cars nowadays are more equipped to go faster. Those speed limits made in the 1960s and 70s need to be raised. They should all be raised to at least 70. I take the Bush Turnpike in DFW to work and when they raised the limits up to 70, drivers did not start going 80. Everyone stayed in the 70s and doesn't worry about being pulled over. It's not like speeding kills. I'm more afraid of the driver going 60 who is eating or on the phone or disciplining their children, than the person going 75 at full attention.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Is it just me, or are overly cautious/hesitant/slow drivers more of a liability?

Seems like every traffic dust-up I'm involved in is usually a result of someone merging poorly, by-passing their turn, or stopping short for no reason.

Fast, aggressive drivers, though dangerous, seem to be more of a liability on street level traffic, but the slow ones are the bigger danger on the highway.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

exactly.

Merging is the #1 cause of traffic. Just look at 288 for example. there's no reason for traffic on that highway.

the other reason is the person going 55mph JUST BECAUSE it's the morning. just he is anticipating traffic...so he will create it for you.

and lane etiquette is the appropriate word. you can argue legality over should you go over 1 mph over the speed limit but when a bunch of cars are waiting for you to move over..just move over.

14. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I am not going to argue whether or not speed limits are money makers for the city or not but you can't really complain about someone going 60 in a 60 zone. Now if they were going 55 or 50 then yes but you are technically speeding.

1 person likes this.
  15. Scarface281

If they are the slowest on the freeway and aren't in the right lane then yes, I'll complain. They have no right to hold up traffic and create log jams. Why should I have to go their speed? Do they know where in trying to go? I've seen cops in Houston cut these people off many times.

16. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I would get angry too if I wanted to go fast and someone was blocking me so no argument there but there is nothing you can do in this case if they are following the speed limit. Nobody wants to get a ticket. Maybe they should have separate speed limits for the left and right lanes. I would love to speed up but I can't afford it.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not only that... speed kills.

Look, I'm not the guy going 50 in a 60. I just leased a car that does 0-60 in just over 6 seconds. I love speed. In my youth, I really really loved speed... to stupidity. So I'm still the guy in the left lane, doing about 70 or 75 regularly.

But, I can't ignore the facts. Just because cars can go faster now doesn't mean they should. Every extra mile per hour meaningfully increases the likelihood of getting into an accident, and getting into a dangerous accident.

Yes, at some point, if 90% of the drivers are going to be going 75 mph anyway, it makes some sense to think about increasing speed limits, as you might be able to prevent some of those accidents with a higher speed limit. But you'd also have to consider the fact that when the speed limit is 75, people will start going 85... you know it's true... cause that's what you would do... ESPECIALLY because in 15 years you can justify it by saying cars are made to go 85 now.

Long story short (too late), I speed. But as I do so, I certainly don't try to drive recklessly on top of it, switching lanes frequently, getting pissed about drivers actually obeying traffic laws, etc.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm with you, scarface. DFW drivers suck and make me miss the beautiful ballet of Houston driving. They're just clueless. And it gets worse as you get farther north with the Oklahoma drivers.

I take the toll roads when I can- it's much less congested and I can do 70 without much passing. On the other hand, I did see State Troopers on 121 the other day. I'm a bit sour on that. If I'm paying to drive on a road, I should get a little more leeway on my speed than on 'public' roads.

19. Relentless

Relentless Member

Everyday while driving I say, "I hate driving in this ****ing city."

Everyday. True story