1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sick and Disgusting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fmp087, Feb 4, 2009.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Shut up, you're going to get this moved to the D&D.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Sorry. It pretty contentious enough though...

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

This video reminds me of that Simpsons episode where they showed a video of little timmy getting a tour of the slaughterhouse in order to promote the goodness of meat.

Seriously though, I prefer to just turn a blind eye to these things. It's one of the perks to being on top of the food chain. As long as killing these animals don't have an effect on the ecosystem which in turn affect me, I really don't care how they kill these seals.

That said, I honestly didn't know people club baby seals to death. It's quite funny in a very perverted sick way.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

"Lisa the Vegetarian"

Best. Episode. Ever.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We are trying to have fun in here and make fun of things, and you have to go and bring in your propaganda machine.

Way to go Narc.

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I can't speak for cows or pigs, but the actual killing of chickens wasn't that bad. They get hanged up by their feet and move through a processing line where they first go through an electric shower that stuns them, and then get their throats slit and bleed out. I didn't see any instances of them being skinned or tortured while still alive.

The cruel part to me is their living conditions before the slaughter and the transport of the birds to the factory. The chickens are crammed together in crates so tightly that they literally cannot move and are pressed up against the sides, and stacked in trucks. In the summer, there are always a lot of birds that die while being trucked to the factory because of the heat. At least the seals aren't confined like prisoners and mistreated before they are killed.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I was going to mention the confinement aspect, but I figured people would think, "So what, they're just animals." Yes, the chickens are forced to live in tightly packed crates, most never get to use their wings. The excrement and unsanitary conditions they live in, as well as the hormones they are pumped full of, often lead to cancer. Kind of similar in my eyes to BGH. I've read in several places that many chickens are not killed by the time they are skinned, but maybe you know of a better source. Factory farming...sickeningly inhumane, yet is seen as necessary because of the almighty dollar. The US should look to Europe as an example - they banned a lot of the inhumane conditions and outlawed BGH and many other growth hormones - but I have a feeling any changes proposed would be shot down by the puppets of Tyson or Pilgrim's Pride.

8. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

What are you guys going to eat when PETA declares that plants have the ability to feel pain?

9. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

plants just work on a slower timeline then us. They move to get full sunlight, and in some cases to eat.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

you have to define pain but they do 'live' and attempt to sustain life.

Would vegetarians be OK with eating meat and wearing furs if the animals were somehow killed in a painless manner?

11. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

We can live off of fruits. In fact, we can live off of water, there are many many people who have gone for decades without eating. I dont know much about the issue, but it has to do with absorbing energy from the sun and just drinking water.

12. fmullegun

Wouldn't fruit be similar to milk in that you should not eat it.

I guess you would just have to wait till it fell on the ground.

13. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I'm not sure how other animals get slaughtered but I don't think a whack to the head is very humane. That sounds like it would hurt quite a lot... and the seals seem to be running for their lives.

14. fmullegun

The ones I have seen just die from the injuries of being processed.

The cows I have processed are usually shot in the head or using a captive bolt pistol (the thing in no country for old men).

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm ok with killing animals, what are they going to do? Form a special interest group and send a nasty letter to all the major processing plants? No, because they don't think, Descartes would say you can't really know if they even really exist.

I just don't like eating something that may lead to health risks.

I have spurned meat lately only for that reason.

I am on a quest to never eat fast food burgers, fried chicken, french fries or any such processed garbage again. Killing of Animals really doesn't matter to me that much. I think if you kill them humanely that would be preferable, they need to die because human beings can eat them.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Way to go, Glide...

can't come up with something more innocuous like "shooting fish in a barrel" or "easy pickin's" or something... now we gotta go through the whole "DO YOU KNOW HOW SMALL THE CHICKENS HOUSE IS" and "PLANTS FEEL TOO" rigmarole. Next comes the "Do they have large talons?" I guess. It's all been done, people. Glide didn't mean it... he SAID he'd work on it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zsdyiCD3AMY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zsdyiCD3AMY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm a vegetarian, and I would not.

In some primitive cultures, they cannibalize their dead. They can turn it into the tastiest dish imaginable, I would not eat that. It's to a lesser degree, sure, but I'd have the same mental block about eating animal meat.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

are these the rednecks of the north?

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

not ever...not even the best ep of season 7...

20. worzel gummidge

cows get shot in the head with a bolt gun.